Thread: Oil filters

Spyder Garage

Default Oil filters

Are the oil filters on the rs sm5 the same.... I have a 2015 RS sm5 and I'm having trouble finding a oil filter for it

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default oil filters

Quote Originally Posted by foolish View Post
    Are the oil filters on the rs sm5 the same.... I have a 2015 RS sm5 and I'm having trouble finding a oil filter for it
    Go to Home Page ....find BAJARON in the Vendors ...... He sells them plus other great stuff at all good prices ..................Mike

Spyder Garage

I agree with Mike. But, to answer the original question, Yes all Spyders with manual transmission V-twins use the same engine oil filter.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by foolish View Post
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...rs-amp-Helmets
    http://www.lamonstergarage.com/oil-change-kit-3/
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default All of the above....

You can also go to ebay or amazon and buy oil change kits that come with all you need. They are EXP oil that BRP uses in their Rotax engines and have used it in my RS Sm5 since I got it back in 2012. Only the Se5 has two filters and they are not the same size. If shopping get the engine filter only
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I agree with Mike. But, to answer the original question, Yes all Spyders with manual transmission V-twins use the same engine oil filter.
    Just add to this. All Spyders with the V-twin engines take the same engine oil filter. Does not matter if it is manual or semi-auto. But if you buy the oil change kit. The kit for a semi-auto will have an extra filter you do not need.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info... Spyder Ryder's are awesome

Spyder Garage

Angry Stripped transmission cover bolt!

So I decided to do the oil change myself. Everything was going great until I was replacing the last bolt. The bottom bolt on the transmission filter. Turns out that the threads had previously been stripped and repaired with what appears to be a heli-coil.

Really could use some repair options and it would be great if someone knows the size of the bolt.

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Heinerken View Post
    So I decided to do the oil change myself. Everything was going great until I was replacing the last bolt. The bottom bolt on the transmission filter. Turns out that the threads had previously been stripped and repaired with what appears to be a heli-coil.

Really could use some repair options and it would be great if someone knows the size of the bolt.

Thanks!
    Sorry to hear about your issue. May I suggest that you start your own thread and not hijack someone else's. Start your your thread in one of the forums that you think closly matches your question. I would suggest Spyder Shop Talk. Asking a question like yours in the 4 sale forum is not going to receive as many good quality answers as your question deserves.

If I was having your problem I would remove the HCM cover. Install a new helicoil and reassemble.

PS I will assume that you are asking about a SE5 model. But it is good practice to always tell us what year, model and trans type when asking questions.

Some pictures may be of some help as well.
    Last edited by billybovine; 05-04-2018 at 08:10 AM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Sorry I thought I was in an oil filter section!

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Sorry to hear about your issue. May I suggest that you start your own thread and not hijack someone else's. Start your your thread in one of the forums that you think closly matches your question. I would suggest Spyder Shop Talk. Asking a question like yours in the 4 sale forum is not going to receive as many good quality answers as your question deserves.

If I was having your problem I would remove the HCM cover. Install a new helicoil and reassemble.

PS I will assume that you are asking about a SE5 model. But it is good practice to always tell us what year, model and trans type when asking questions.

Some pictures may be of some help as well.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Heinerken View Post

Thanks!
    Not to encourage hijacking a thread. But this can be a serious and not so uncommon problem which is easily avoided with just a bit of care.

First, the bolts holding the filter caps are very small and threaded into very soft metal (aluminum).
    Second, the O-Ring does all the work. All it needs is a moderate amount of EVEN pressure all the way around to seal.
    Third, to get this even pressure you need to turn each bolt in a few turns and then do the same with the other bolt.

Some turn one bolt all the way in and then attempt to tighten the other bolt to match. This is a very bad way to install the filter cap. At the very least you risk pinching the O-Ring doing it this way (which will leak volumes of oil when you start your Spyder). At worst you will strip the threads out of the 2nd bolt trying to get it to the same point as the 1st bolt.

Use a short handled wrench so you don't get these bolts too tight. They just need to be snug. I've never heard of a oil filter cap coming loose. (Other than stripped bolt issues)

Get even pressure and go easy on the torque and you'll never have a problem.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-04-2018 at 05:33 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...