Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    As per my earlier post, there is an electronic switch (probably a MOSFET) in the TCM that makes a ground connection to activate the solenoid. Because this electronic switch has a high impedance path to ground when it is off, you are going to see 12V with a meter connected to Pins 1 and 8 as you did. But it is too high of an impedance to activate the solenoid or a test light. (The multimeter draws very little current. The solenoids and test light draw a lot more to activate.) Your tests with the test light suggest that the solenoids are not being activated, which suggests a problem with the paddle shift switch or the TCM and not the solenoids. The solenoid resistance test will help confirm this.
    I redid the test you recommended with the motor running. The test light came on and stayed on for a couple seconds when I did the solenoid resistance test. The resistance between 1 and 8, 2 and 7, and 3 and 6 was 3.8 ohms. 4 and 5 it was 1.9 ohms. Slightly higher than what the book said, but I wasn't using a high dollar Ohmmeter I could zero. Not sure what I should do next. I might remove the solenoids and see if they're working as they should. If they are, I suspect the problem is the HCM. But the fact it will shift from neutral to reverse using the paddle and forward (1st gear) to neutral with my foot on the brake as soon as it starts confuses me. Maybe I should try swapping the upshift solenoid with the downshift solenoid and vice versa to see what happens?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-05-2024 at 03:47 AM.