Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

As a former RS owner of over 5 years and current F3 owner I feel that the "review" of the F3 by the OP was lacking and somewhat misleading. Some of what was said was pretty subjective and I get that, but the assertation of performance issues with the F3 that has only 359 miles when compared to a broken in RS is unfair. If the OP were to ride my F3 that has over 1200 miles on it now, and is still not what I consider broken, would have a far different experience. My RS was a very potent performer but cannot hold a candle to my new F3. I find I can power through corners at speeds I would never dreamed of on the RS and it does it with no effort and it is getting better the more I ride. The torque this motor develops is amazing from a wide RPM range and will push you back in the seat pretty much in any gear.

I spent a whole bunch of money on my RS getting the seating and handle bars comfortable. The F3 is designed to be adjustable to a wide range of riders at minimal expense. Does it fit everyone? No but it does fit a lot wider range of people muc easier than the RS did/does. If you doubt this just look as all the after market handle bar and seating options available. My personal preference is the F3 seating position and can ride all day in comfort. I don't understand how riding crotch rocket style could possibly be comfortable let alone for all day riding but hey if it works for somone then great.

As far as the body work goes again that is pretty subjective and I personally like the F3 style and body work better than the RS. There is also something that was not discussed in the review in that the F3 has less plastic and therefore less to fiddle with when you do anything on the machine. With the RS there was a lot of time removing plastic panels to do anything. Even just checking the oil was a fiddely process with that cover and goffey attachment screws to mess with. With the F3 there is just a small panel that pops off and thats it.

Another issue that was completely overlooked was the extras. To put a passenger back rest on the RS was a major pain in the back side that involved stripping all the plastic from the handle bars back, the rear fender liner, seat and battery. Took me hours and hours to do this. The F3 took about 15 seconds to put the back rest on the first time. Same thing if you try and change the handle bars. Plan on spending a lot of time and a good deal of frustration just getting that silly handle bar cover off.

Something else that was not discussed is fuel mileage. The 1330 blows any of the 998's out of the water in this catagory. I ride with some RS and RT folks with the 998 motor and they fill up twice as often. I understand that a 25 mile test ride wouldn't show this so thought in fairness to the F3 I would point it out. Maintenence in general is another area that is a vast imporvement over the RS. Much longer interval's between oil changes and no valve adjustment ever.

My intent is not to run down the RS/RS-S as I owned and enjoyed mine for over 5 years. I did not feel that this was a fair and objective review and lacked some important information. I would encourage anyone in the market for a Spyder to look at all of the models. Determine your needs/wants and see which model fits you best.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The birthing riding position (feet foward) just does not cut it when one rides the twisties. Feet forword may be ok for the polker run crowd but not for any aggressive riding.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
    The birthing riding position (feet foward) just does not cut it when one rides the twisties. Feet forword may be ok for the polker run crowd but not for any aggressive riding.
    Don't know what the roads are like in North Carolina but in Idaho we have far more "twisties" than anything else and speaking from experience with both the RS and F3 the F3 does just fine when riding aggressive.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well said sir!!

Spyder Garage

I wonder what I was doing then between Colorado Springs and Cripple Creek (twisty mountain road)....being in the birthing position and all that. Granted, I've done the route faster on my FZ1, but that's a 2 wheeler. Maybe I need to take the F3 out to Deckers (even twistier mountain road in Colorado) so all the people who don't own one can tell me I didn't do that either.

Have you ever actually ridden an F3 in twisties? Looks like an RS in your avatar, but perhaps I missed your tales of experience on the F3.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Thebrainn View Post
    I wonder what I was doing then between Colorado Springs and Cripple Creek (twisty mountain road)....being in the birthing position and all that. Granted, I've done the route faster on my FZ1, but that's a 2 wheeler. Maybe I need to take the F3 out to Deckers (even twistier mountain road in Colorado) so all the people who don't own one can tell me I didn't do that either.

Have you ever actually ridden an F3 in twisties? Looks like an RS in your avatar, but perhaps I missed your tales of experience on the F3.
    Sorry Mate, with 58 years of two wheels behind me, I could never get anywhere with my legs out front. We slid the mockup F3 all over the place and could not get comfortable. It is me, lots of spine dammage from two DEER wrecks. I wish you luck with your F3.

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't want to ride twisties with forward controls on a 2 wheeler either, but it works for me on the F3. Might be the center of gravity issue...don't know, not a scientist. I like the F3, you like the RS, good thing they make both right?

You should try a rifle for those deer kills, might hurt the shoulder a bit but the back doesn't feel much pain.

Sorry Mate, with 58 years of two wheels behind me, I could never get anywhere with my legs out front. We slid the mockup F3 all over the place and could not get comfortable. It is me, lots of spine dammage from two DEER wrecks. I wish you luck with your F3.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Thebrainn View Post
    I wouldn't want to ride twisties with forward controls on a 2 wheeler either, but it works for me on the F3. Might be the center of gravity issue...don't know, not a scientist. I like the F3, you like the RS, good thing they make both right?

You should try a rifle for those deer kills, might hurt the shoulder a bit but the back doesn't feel much pain.
    Thanks ole man, we had the left shoulder put back together last January. Ride safe see ya on the road.

Spyder Garage

I respectfully disagree, I went riding with some friends that I ride with a lot, they are mainly RS and ST riders.
    We went for a ride through one of our favourite twistie areas, I was up front on my F3 and there was no-one sitting
    on my tail like has happened in the past when riding my RSS or my ST that both had the Fox Shock and Swaybar upgrade.

Have you ridden an F3 through some decent twisties?
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    I respectfully disagree, I went riding with some friends that I ride with a lot, they are mainly RS and ST riders.
    We went for a ride through one of our favourite twistie areas, I was up front on my F3 and there was no-one sitting
    on my tail like has happened in the past when riding my RSS or my ST that both had the Fox Shock and Swaybar upgrade.

Your delusional if you think you can ride harder sitting on your ass with your feet out in front of you vs. being able to use your legs for body control....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Your delusional if you think you can ride harder sitting on your ass with your feet out in front of you vs. being able to use your legs for body control....
    I guess I must be doing something wrong then?? Or my riding buddies are trying to make me look good.
    And to be honest, I haven't been delusional for at least a couple of months
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics

Spyder Garage

Agree!!!!!

Like sport bike and cruiser.

And i have ridden both.

Not a cruiser could beat through corners and yes i have an rs.

The only thing with the f3 is the 1330 and lower gearing which makes lower end

Different strokes for different folks.

Everybody has a faster bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post

Your buddies were trying to make you feel good, at least the RS buddies were.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Your buddies were trying to make you feel good, at least the RS buddies were.
    Ain't that the truth. Still funny how the f3 kool-aid kids try to ram it down our throats.
    Don't get me wrong, the f3 is a nice machine, but it's not hanging with an RS in the twisties riding hard...or in the straights really.
    It's a cruiser, you just don't have the same body weight control with all your weight on your ass. It is what it is.

Body positioning is key when riding the corners hard. And there is nothing like hanging off the side in a hard tight turn, feeling the back tire on the edge of sliding out vs. staying hooked up!
    You need your legs to ride like that....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DrewNJ; 10-08-2015 at 07:22 PM.

Spyder Garage

Ain't that the truth. Still funny how the f3 kool-aid kids try to ram it down our throats.
    Don't get me wrong, the f3 is a nice machine, but it's not hanging with an RS in the twisties riding hard...or in the straights really.
    It's a cruiser, you just don't have the same body weight control with all your weight on your ass. It is what it is.

Body positioning is key when riding the corners hard. And there is nothing like hanging off the side in a hard tight turn, feeling the back tire on the edge of sliding out vs. staying hooked up!
    You need your legs to ride like that....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Have to admit to some confusion. How stating "try them all and make up your own mind" is trying to "ram it down our throats"?

I don't care what anybody rides but from what I have seen a lot of folks have moved from the RS line to the F3 and have been very happy. I have not seen anyone as yet wishing to go back. The only spyders the dealer where I live have left are RS/RSS. A whole line of them sitting out front. One of the few RS spyders that they did sell this year was my used 2010 RS that was sold within 3 hours of me trading it in to a guy on a 2012 RSS. They sold every F3 and RT that they could get their hands on.

It may also be true (or not) that you may be a faster rider than me but I stated and maintain after riding both for an extended period of time that the F3 is faster, more comfortable and handles better than the RS/RSS.

Again I would say to anyone in the market for a spyder RIDE THEM ALL and decide for yourself which one meets your individual needs.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ard View Post
    As a former RS owner of over 5 years and current F3 owner I feel that the "review" of the F3 by the OP was lacking and somewhat misleading. Some of what was said was pretty subjective and I get that, but the assertation of performance issues with the F3 that has only 359 miles when compared to a broken in RS is unfair. If the OP were to ride my F3 that has over 1200 miles on it now, and is still not what I consider broken, would have a far different experience. My RS was a very potent performer but cannot hold a candle to my new F3. I find I can power through corners at speeds I would never dreamed of on the RS and it does it with no effort and it is getting better the more I ride. The torque this motor develops is amazing from a wide RPM range and will push you back in the seat pretty much in any gear.

I spent a whole bunch of money on my RS getting the seating and handle bars comfortable. The F3 is designed to be adjustable to a wide range of riders at minimal expense. Does it fit everyone? No but it does fit a lot wider range of people muc easier than the RS did/does. If you doubt this just look as all the after market handle bar and seating options available. My personal preference is the F3 seating position and can ride all day in comfort. I don't understand how riding crotch rocket style could possibly be comfortable let alone for all day riding but hey if it works for somone then great.

As far as the body work goes again that is pretty subjective and I personally like the F3 style and body work better than the RS. There is also something that was not discussed in the review in that the F3 has less plastic and therefore less to fiddle with when you do anything on the machine. With the RS there was a lot of time removing plastic panels to do anything. Even just checking the oil was a fiddely process with that cover and goffey attachment screws to mess with. With the F3 there is just a small panel that pops off and thats it.

Another issue that was completely overlooked was the extras. To put a passenger back rest on the RS was a major pain in the back side that involved stripping all the plastic from the handle bars back, the rear fender liner, seat and battery. Took me hours and hours to do this. The F3 took about 15 seconds to put the back rest on the first time. Same thing if you try and change the handle bars. Plan on spending a lot of time and a good deal of frustration just getting that silly handle bar cover off.

Something else that was not discussed is fuel mileage. The 1330 blows any of the 998's out of the water in this catagory. I ride with some RS and RT folks with the 998 motor and they fill up twice as often. I understand that a 25 mile test ride wouldn't show this so thought in fairness to the F3 I would point it out. Maintenence in general is another area that is a vast imporvement over the RS. Much longer interval's between oil changes and no valve adjustment ever.

My intent is not to run down the RS/RS-S as I owned and enjoyed mine for over 5 years. I did not feel that this was a fair and objective review and lacked some important information. I would encourage anyone in the market for a Spyder to look at all of the models. Determine your needs/wants and see which model fits you best.

I'm not sure I was putting forward an "in depth" review and I really wasn't trying to mislead anyone about anything. I was simply giving my opinion about what I liked and disliked about the F3 vs my RS after a 25 mile demo ride. You have your opinions and I have mine....that's fine with me.

I will say this about your comment "I find I can power through corners at speeds I would never dreamed of on the RS and it does it with no effort and it is getting better the more I ride." I doubt this has very little, if anything to do with the actual performance of the F3 and I suspect this is true for you because you feel more comfortable on the F3 than the RS and therefore will let yourself "push it" more. In effect, because you sit down into the F3 more the sensation of being pushed off the bike by the corner centripetal force is less then it is on the RS. With less centripetal sensation you feel more comfortable and confident and therefore allow yourself to go faster through the corner. In reality I'm sure the RS and the F3 can power through a corner at the same speed before the nanny kicks in if the rider will allow himself/herself to push the bike to that limit.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    In reality I'm sure the RS and the F3 can power through a corner at the same speed before the nanny kicks in if the rider will allow himself/herself to push the bike to that limit.
    Not true, The F3 comes with a more relaxed "nanny" that allows more before it decides you have had enough fun.

Didn't you list that as a positive?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Power to weight and 0 to 60 times, I believe the RS-S is Tops, "RS-S the fast one"

Spyder Garage

Power to weight and 0 to 60 times, I believe the RS-S is Tops, "RS-S the fast one"
    According to BRP the RS-S is listed as 798 pounds dry weight and 100 horsepower. The F3 is 840 dry weight and 115 horse power. I have not seen any real 0 to 60 times so can't comment but will say my RS was quick but my F3 is faster and handles better.

Spyder Garage

According to BRP the RS-S is listed as 798 pounds dry weight and 100 horsepower. The F3 is 840 dry weight and 115 horse power. I have not seen any real 0 to 60 times so can't comment but will say my RS was quick but my F3 is faster and handles better.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l=1#post964931

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l=1#post965037

The RS was 106 hp up until (I don't know); I have a 2008.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Looks like .3 faster for RS-S. more than likely very close. BRP may have done it on purpose. Great discussion. Love forums. Makes folks think.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not true, The F3 comes with a more relaxed "nanny" that allows more before it decides you have had enough fun.

Didn't you list that as a positive?
    I believe the more relaxed nanny is so you can spin the rear tire (burn it a bit) and break the rear loose a bit (slide it) off the line or turning while starting from a stopped position. Relaxed a lower speeds so you can play a bit. That is a positive. I don't think its relaxed when corning at speed. I could be wrong?

I'm glad you like your F3. I know that I would not. The seating position(s) just don't work for me. I'm hoping the RS sees some upgrades for 2016.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    I'm not sure I was putting forward an "in depth" review and I really wasn't trying to mislead anyone about anything. I was simply giving my opinion about what I liked and disliked about the F3 vs my RS after a 25 mile demo ride. You have your opinions and I have mine....that's fine with me.

I will say this about your comment "I find I can power through corners at speeds I would never dreamed of on the RS and it does it with no effort and it is getting better the more I ride." I doubt this has very little, if anything to do with the actual performance of the F3 and I suspect this is true for you because you feel more comfortable on the F3 than the RS and therefore will let yourself "push it" more. In effect, because you sit down into the F3 more the sensation of being pushed off the bike by the corner centripetal force is less then it is on the RS. With less centripetal sensation you feel more comfortable and confident and therefore allow yourself to go faster through the corner. In reality I'm sure the RS and the F3 can power through a corner at the same speed before the nanny kicks in if the rider will allow himself/herself to push the bike to that limit.

Rob thanks for your sharing your thoughts/opinions on the RS. I've been looking at Spyders and have seen quite a few nice RS models for sale. I myself rode sportbikes got yrs until I lost the use of my legs in an accident. Contrary to what most people think I thought the sbk riding position was more comfortable and could ride for hrs before stopping. Let me just say, before anyone has negative reviews about this, that this is my opinion only. I would just like to know if a 2011 RS in clean shape, no accidents, mechanically sound, is worth $9000? I can't just go to a dealership and test ride them. This is in no way disrespecting anyone who has a F3 or another model.

Spyder Garage

Why would you think you might be disrespecting someone? They make different model Spyder's because well... different strokes for different folks, and all that!

Depending on how low the mileage is and whether it's been maintained properly (and assuming you like the color scheme), that's a pretty good price on a 2011 RS.... if it's an SE5 model, it's a VERY good price in fact!

I'm almost at 15,000 on my 2012 RS and just love the thing, wouldn't trade it for any other Spyder model it fits my needs and wants perfectly.

- Michael

Quote Originally Posted by GIMP410 View Post
    I would just like to know if a 2011 RS in clean shape, no accidents, mechanically sound, is worth $9000? I can't just go to a dealership and test ride them. This is in no way disrespecting anyone who has a F3 or another model.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default I still have my '11 RS

This thread is a fun read...I have similar not quite negative feelings about the F model seating model.

I rode for many years but more in the sports cruiser "genre"...My last were a V-65 Sabre and a 900 Trident. For years I've ridden with my feet kinda under my butt.
    I bought a bog standard '11 RS-sm and got a more comfortable seat and risers and I can ryde fer hours...I haven't been on here for months 'cos Borys the Spyder gives me no problems.
    I've looked at the F but not taken a dryve...if I can't get my feet under my rear end with comfort, its a no-go for me.