Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bensonoid View Post
    You probably get mostly 87 octane when you select a better grade anyway, because the hose and who knows how far back from there is full of the cheap stuff. You would have to hang around and get behind someone who just pumped the good stuff to get a full tank of it.
    "Good stuff" ? "Cheap stuff" ? I don't think these apply to different octane ratings of the same fuel.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My 2010 RT with the 998 also saw the same improvement; when running premium...
    But my 2014 RT with the triple saw no difference in fuel mileage...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jroberts650 View Post
    If a vehicle burns the ethanol fuel within a certain amount of time, your exactly correct that it won't turn back to sugar. But, let that fuel stay in a tank for an extended amount of time, untreated, and look at the damage it causes. My father is a mechanic, day in and day out. He has worked on cars that have sat for an extended amount of time, both carb and fuel injected. Injectors will crystalize at the injector nozzle and even crystalize in the lifters and seize them. I've seen it personally several times.

Yes newer vehicles will burn it, without problem. Just don't let them sit any long period of time. Ethanol attracts water, only takes 30 days to seperate from the fuel and will settle in the bottom of the tank. Then the pump sucks water first into the fuel system. Do what you want, I don;t want that in any of my vehicles that aren't driven consistently. For me, the ethanol free is cheap insurance or I'm using a stabilizer.
    Many people live in areas where non-ethenol is not available and their vehicles still seem to operate. Stop the silliness. Do I use non-ethenol when I can get it? Yes. Is it available within 100 miles of me? No.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jroberts650 View Post
    I have seen lifters crystalized. I know fuel doesn't touch them. I was just stating what I have observed in components that had ethanol fuel burned through them.
    Crystallized? Into diamonds possibly? What does fuel have to do with lifters? Come on now this is BOGUS.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 04-25-2018 at 08:49 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I consistently get 2-3 mpg better mileage on my 2008 RS with premium fuel over regular.
    My experience also. Mac

Spyder Garage

Here is a link to all non ethanol gas in the US and Canada. In addition almost all marines have it.
    https://www.pure-gas.org/
    Doug

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Go back and look at this thread from last fall about my experience with regular vs. premium. Everyone was fooled! The answer to the poll question is the one no one chose!

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...t=premium+fuel

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The requirement to retard ignition (premium gas does just that) is dependant upon elevation. Pure and simple. Anything above 4,000 feet really doesn't warrant premium gas just due to the principles of combustion. Less elevation the requirement is varied ... I would think that at sea level it is the most required.

Spyder Garage

I like premium cookies. They taste better than regular cookies. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm with you on this one!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    In the recent past there have been a few threads about type of gas to use in Spyders. I have a 2010 RTSM5. I have used 87 octane since I purchased it 2 years ago and got a steady 32 MPG. After reading all the comments about gas I decided to try higher octane so over the last few weeks I put in 93 octane. My driving habits are the same and the area where I drive is flat. After 4 tank fulls with the 93 octane I have calculated 28 MPG, a loss of 4 MPG and no noticeable change in power. But a change in cost at the pump to the tune of $0.30 more a gal. So as you can assume I will be going back to 87 octane.
    well stated and I agree with you on the 87 octane. I just got my 2018 RTL (my 4th Spyder) and I have run on 87 octane with all of them. Some of our NISR (Nebraska Iowa Spyder Ryders) club members won't go on longer rides if they know there is no 91 octane available along the way??? I also tried the higher octane thing and found no noticeable difference on performance and MPG. enough said...
    BIG F

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blitzkreig View Post
    The requirement to retard ignition (premium gas does just that) is dependant upon elevation. Pure and simple.
    Sorry but it's not that easy.

First, higher octane does NOT "retard" the ignition.
    It suppresses PRE-ignition from high compression. It also helps keep the mixture from exploding instead of burning in a controlled manner.
    Regardless of your octane, when the spark hits, the mixture burns.

Then to your elevation claim......that is true but only because the thinner air makes for a richer mixture and a rich mixture isn't as prone to either pre-ignition or spark knock. Other things can cause a richer mixture too.

And other things can, and DO, make higher octane unnecessary, most notably engine design.