Spyder Garage

Default Too tall for RT???

OK, here's the issue. I'm 6' 3" , 59 years old , and recently purchased a new RTS. I now have about 2k miles on it. I am new to Spyders and also have never ridden two wheelers. I have added the Ultimate tall boy seat to slide me back a few inches and also the Lamonster FBB highway brackets. The problem is , when ever I ride , I get a burning sensation in my neck and shoulders. I did used to squeeze the grips tightly (rookie mistake) but now I feel I have broken myself of that habit. The more I read the posts in Spyderlovers , I see references to RT's not being for tall riders. I'm not sure if the burning is related to now wearing a helmet (Shoei Neotec) for the first time or just the riding position of the RT. The highway brackets are pretty much useless. I find they need to be longer and angled in toward the body of the RT. I've thought about adding the tri axis handlebars but the cost is pretty substantial. Anyone had a similar experience? What can I do?
    Last edited by Chrisluckey; 08-26-2016 at 09:48 PM.

Baja Ron sway bar w/ billet aluminum Heim links
    Spyderpops bump skid plate
    Providence USB charger
    Ram mount with X grip
    Rear trunk interior LED light and organizer
    Lamonster highway pegs
    Lamonster cat elimination pipe
    Akrapovic exhaust
    Elka stage 2 shocks front/rear
    Ultimate tall boy seat
    F4 tinted windshield w/vent
    Tricled LED trunk 3rd break light w/modulator, headlights, fog lights
    Tricled LED safety package and Tricled air horn
    Tricled laser alignment
    BRP side adjustable air deflectors

Spyder Garage

I had same problem until I installed the tri Axis handlebars. Now it is all good.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    2014 Spyder RTS

Tri Axis Handlebars
    Big Bike Trailer Harness
    Rivco Front Bumper (Black)
    Rivco Highway Pegs
    Ultimate Seat
    Garmin GPS
    Trailer Hitch
    Aluma XL Trailer
    Stainless Grill Covers
    Cupholder
    Spring Stiffeners
    Rivco Floorboards

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am 6'5" and 63 years old. I rented the RT several times and found I could not find a comfortable position for a ride of any longer than running around town. I bought a 2016 F3T and set the pegs at position 5 and long reach handle bars. That solved all the "position" issues. I too had neck problems and could not figure it out since I had ridden GWs for over two decades. I figured out that I was now wearing a heavy Shoei Neotec helmet vs. my old HJC and the F3T had a short windscreen leaving my head in the breeze. I bought the F4 25" windscreen which allows me to still see over the top of the of it but pushes the wind over my helmet. Have done three rides of over 300+ miles and no neck or shoulder pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think you would definitely benefit from the Tri Axis bars. I'm tall (at least for a woman) and used to get shoulder and neck pain but not any more with the Tri Axis bars and my BRP Comfort Seat.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

The references to RTs not being for tall people are more in relation to getting at the brake with long legs, rather than neck burning Chris. I'm 6'7" and could not get my feet onto the brake easily......but.....there is a 6'9" RT rider out there, who is quite happy on his RT. I bought an F3 which suited me better.

I think Jay has hit it on the head. If you have a look at comments from those who have installed the Tri Axis, most of them say it has cleared up neck/shoulder problems. Sure they are a lot of money, but adjustable handlebars coupled with a backrest seems to clear up most posture related problems.

......and on the RT you can also get Seal floorboards, which have a shape that allows you to have your feet a bit further forward and lets you brake with your heel for more leg comfort.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NECK PROBLEMS

My .02 is .....since you aren't used to wearing a HELMET ..... a FULL helmet is the heaviest type, you might want to try a 1/2 helmet, get an in-expensive one or borrow one and try it....see if this fixes your problem before dropping $700.00 .....jmho.....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    You are local to us and others. We ride with another team close to you and Steve is taller. Maybe you two could trade stories at a ride or in one persons driveway. Message me here or post on The Unknowns group on Facebook. So mant tricked out machines nearby, on of the giants must have a setup you could sit on to see what you like...
    Yes, I do have the Special Series with the shorter windshield. I have been thinking about getting a taller one. Leaving for vacation this morning. When I get back I will message you about getting together for one of your rides. I need to see what others have done to see what helps. Will also take your advice on the stretching. Thanks for the suggestions.

Baja Ron sway bar w/ billet aluminum Heim links
    Spyderpops bump skid plate
    Providence USB charger
    Ram mount with X grip
    Rear trunk interior LED light and organizer
    Lamonster highway pegs
    Lamonster cat elimination pipe
    Akrapovic exhaust
    Elka stage 2 shocks front/rear
    Ultimate tall boy seat
    F4 tinted windshield w/vent
    Tricled LED trunk 3rd break light w/modulator, headlights, fog lights
    Tricled LED safety package and Tricled air horn
    Tricled laser alignment
    BRP side adjustable air deflectors

Spyder Garage

At 6'4" I agree with those who recommend the Tri-Axis bars; they work very well for me. I don't like highway pegs because they splay my legs out uncomfortably. My right foot has never had a problem finding the OEM brake pedal.

Here's a real cheap solution to pain between the shoulders - push ups. Neck exercises with your helmet on should help or add a bit of weight to a head/neck harness found in most gyms. Specific exercises for trapezius muscles will also help. YMMV.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

All above info sounds good. I had a little different problem. I would get a searing pain in my left shoulder blade area after 50 miles or so. If I stopped and walked a bit, it would go away. I went to my chiropractor and he happened to have had the same thing. Said that the different position used in riding was pinching a nerve in the vertebrae. Popped whatever back into place, problem solved. Took a year before I needed another "treatment". I'm a lot shorter than 6' not that it makes any difference.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Default Backrest

Not sure if your seat has one, but adding a backrest helped me with that issue. I had tendency to hunch forward without hype backrest. Now I lean back into the backrest and it really helped with the neck pain.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Pain

When I began riding my RTs I also experienced terrible back, neck and shoulder pain. I am 78 years old and 6' tall. I was 6'3" but due to age and herniated discs have shrunk. What has helped me is something I learned from a motorcycle cop, when I was in my teens. Relax! He rode all day, with his back having a slight roll or slouch. When I first began riding the Spyder. I hung on very tight and was tense. At first my thought was I am just too old for this. Now I try and ride VERY RELAXED. No changes to the Spyder, only to the way I ride. Yesterday I rode for roughly 3 hours with lots of sweeping curves, following 2 friends on Harley's. Zero pain. Occasionally I actually slouch enough that my back touches my wife, when she is behind me. Undoubtedly this is contrary to what others will say, but it works for me, as it did for my police officer friend. Hope this will help others.

Spyder Garage

Tall people on RT's should get the NBV highway pegs from lamont and get the extensions so that they will adjust to your desired fit. You got the wrong Highway pegs for a tall person.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    At 6'4" I agree with those who recommend the Tri-Axis bars; they work very well for me. I don't like highway pegs because they splay my legs out uncomfortably. My right foot has never had a problem finding the OEM brake pedal.

Here's a real cheap solution to pain between the shoulders - push ups. Neck exercises with your helmet on should help or add a bit of weight to a head/neck harness found in most gyms. Specific exercises for trapezius muscles will also help. YMMV.

Chris,
    Agree with Jay,I am 6'4 and have the tall boy seat and use a drivers backrest when riding alone.I tried highway pegs and none work,legs too long to have any comfort.Tri=axis bars did the best job after finding the sweet spot to work for me.Keep at it you will find the right combo.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by slick999 View Post
    Chris,
    Agree with Jay,I am 6'4 and have the tall boy seat and use a drivers backrest when riding alone.I tried highway pegs and none work,legs too long to have any comfort.Tri=axis bars did the best job after finding the sweet spot to work for me.Keep at it you will find the right combo.
    I, like you am over 6'4" tall and ride a 2015 RT. I purchased and installed an Untimate seat with a backrest. I found a tri axis adjustable handlebar on EBay for about $500. Which was a steal. As of today there is one being offered on EBay for about the same price. The adjustable handlebars are worth every penny for us tall riders.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wanderingman View Post
    When I began riding my RTs I also experienced terrible back, neck and shoulder pain. I am 78 years old and 6' tall. I was 6'3" but due to age and herniated discs have shrunk. What has helped me is something I learned from a motorcycle cop, when I was in my teens. Relax! He rode all day, with his back having a slight roll or slouch. When I first began riding the Spyder. I hung on very tight and was tense. At first my thought was I am just too old for this. Now I try and ride VERY RELAXED. No changes to the Spyder, only to the way I ride. Yesterday I rode for roughly 3 hours with lots of sweeping curves, following 2 friends on Harley's. Zero pain. Occasionally I actually slouch enough that my back touches my wife, when she is behind me. Undoubtedly this is contrary to what others will say, but it works for me, as it did for my police officer friend. Hope this will help others.
    Spot On!! ^^

That's almost straight from the seating instructions in the manual! Paraphrasing further, you need to sit straight but nestle down INTO the seat rather than leaning or sagging forwards & perching 'on' the seat; slide back into the raised section of the front padding & roll the top of your hips back & down as you pull your belly in & open your chest so that your back doesn't arch too much either way nor your belly hang out like a verandah over the playground; square your shoulders; & then relax your shoulders & arms so that your wrists & elbows drop, rather than lifting or sticking out. Once you learn how to sit & settle into the seat as you do that, and consciously realise that it should all be a 'relax & settle back INTO' thing so your spine isn't tense or arched forwards at all, you will find you can sit all day in comfort & yet still be flexible & agile enough in the seat to respond appropriately to all your riding needs.

I could explain further but IIRC my instructor was pretty descriptive about how to roll your hips to keep your 'meat & two veg' clear of the seat at all times so I'm not at all sure that further description would be appropriate for polite mixed company!

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm with the backrest crowd - On my Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager I couldn't keep my back from burning with two different seats. I got a backrest and all the pain disappeared immediately.

I'm shorter than you and didn't have as big an issue with the RT, but my back still burned after a long ryde until I got a backrest (I have the Ultimate tallboy seat with the backrest.) Ultimate will let you purchase one with two weeks to return if you don't like it.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Spot On!! ^^

I could explain further but IIRC my instructor was pretty descriptive about how to roll your hips to keep your 'meat & two veg' clear of the seat at all times so I'm not at all sure that further description would be appropriate for polite mixed company!
    Hey Peter,
    when you have a minute, would you be able to elaborate on the above. My meat and two veg are actually on the edge of the tank (not bragging, just due to a long "rise"), so maybe only a custom seat will fix it, but I would appreciate any "tips"...so to speak .......

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Hmmm, how to put it politely.....

let's try this:

When you first sit on the seat, try to push your bum back & into the raised lip of cushion (? if you can call it that?!) or if you have one, push back firmly against the backrest; regardless, then try to roll the top of your hips back & down while lifting your family jewels up off the seat.... doing this should help you get more tail-bone into the seat & ensure you don't have any 'forward arch' in your back, especially in your lower back!! Many people tilt their hips forwards & arch their spine forwards too much so that their belly is hanging free rather than pulled in - yeah, I know it gets easier to let it all hang out as we get older, but it's much better on our backs if we pull it in when riding! If you've got a backrest, pushing back onto that gives you something to align that section of your back onto, so it tends to reduce the forward arch & lessens the stress on your lower spine! And it keeps the family jewels off the seat!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-29-2016 at 07:23 PM.

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Hey Peter,
    when you have a minute, would you be able to elaborate on the above. My meat and two veg are actually on the edge of the tank (not bragging, just due to a long "rise"), so maybe only a custom seat will fix it, but I would appreciate any "tips"...so to speak .......

Pete

Sounds like bragging to me! Should I be grateful that I can fearlessly slam my glovebox shut or should I feel inadequate? Ladies, I DO have the tallboy seat it that matters any.

I have a friend who complained how his meat and veggies baked from the glovebox heat. We realized that mine didn't because the extra 1.5" in the tallboy seat kept me back just a bit farther from the flames.

Hmmm .... after this I may have to change my online name to "SpyderShorty"!
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post

Sounds like bragging to me! Should I be grateful that I can fearlessly slam my glovebox shut or should I feel inadequate? !
    Sorry to hear that, SpyderShorty... I can't slam my glovebox fearlessly shut, and I'm on an F3 L with the glovebox under the windscreen

Big Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post

Sounds like bragging to me! Should I be grateful that I can fearlessly slam my glovebox shut or should I feel inadequate? Ladies, I DO have the tallboy seat it that matters any.

I have a friend who complained how his meat and veggies baked from the glovebox heat. We realized that mine didn't because the extra 1.5" in the tallboy seat kept me back just a bit farther from the flames.

Hmmm .... after this I may have to change my online name to "SpyderShorty"!

ROTFLMAO!!! You guys are too funny! Meat and two veggies! LOL!!!