Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 4-Gallon Minimum Fuel-Purchase Proposal

Just got this from AMA:

Hosed again? The EPA is reviving the 4-gallon minimum fuel-purchase policy
    Contact your senators and representative!

Take Action!

We thought we had put this issue to bed in 2012. But it appears that the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency is still subjecting motorcyclists to a 4-gallon minimum fuel purchase at blender pumps that dispense both E10 and E15.

As part of its E15 Misfueling Mitigation Program, the EPA is allowing retailers to sell fuel with 10 percent ethanol from the same pump used for blends of 15 percent ethanol. This creates a problem for motorcyclists, who could wind up with as much as a quart of E15 in their tanks even if they select the proper grade of fuel.

And the ethanol lobby is promoting this approach.

In its “E15 & Flex Fuel Retailer Roadmap” for fuel retailers, a pro-ethanol group offers this advice:

“E15 can be sold on the same hose with gasoline (E0 to E10) using this configuration: Require a minimum purchase of four gallons and apply a label stating ‘Minimum Fueling Volume 4 Gallons. Dispensing Less May Violate Federal Law.’” (P. 80, emphasis added).
    The AMA spotted this minimum-purchase policy in 2012 and, with the voices of thousands of motorcyclists, made enough noise that the EPA backed away from it. You can read about that battle here.

Since the average fuel tank for motorcycles holds less than 4 gallons, riders are unable to buy the required minimum of 4 gallons. And, even motorcycles with larger tanks could end up with a blend with more than 10 percent ethanol. Or, end up fueling what you think is safe fuel and end up with something much worse! Check out what some motorists experienced in Oklahoma recently.

We thought common sense prevailed at the EPA when on Dec. 17, 2012, the agency informed the AMA it had reversed its decision to require the 4-gallon minimum purchase.

After the AMA read the pro-ethanol group’s “roadmap,” we immediately sent a letter to the EPA and contacted the EPA public relations office for clarification. The agency has not yet responded to our letter. But the media inquiry prompted a response.

According to an EPA spokesperson:

Dispensing E10 in volumes less than 4 gallons from a pump that supplies E10 only is absolutely NOT a violation.
    The excerpted portion you highlighted should refer only to the less than 1% of gas stations that have gasoline pumps that that dispense BOTHE10 and E15 from a single hose or nozzle. The 4 gallon fueling minimum for E10 is only required for these “co-dispensing pumps” and is there to protect consumers. The 4 gallon minimum ensures that engines, that are not allowed to use E15 (like those in motorcycles) do not inadvertently get too much ethanol in the tank. To comply with EPA regulations, most stations with co-dispensing pumps simply put up a sign that says the co-dispensing pump may only be used for passenger vehicles and separately offer a dedicated E10 pump for motorcycles and other engines that cannot use E15. Motorcyclists or other types of vehicles and engines that require E10 in volumes of less than 4 gallons should not have a problem finding E10 in any volume they need.
    Apparently, common sense comes only in fleeting moments—and, once again, motorcyclists end up getting hosed from an ill-conceived program created by unelected Washington bureaucrats.

Congress and the EPA are not protecting you. Ethanol producers and their lobbyists don’t care about the danger of inadvertently misfueling your motorcycle with E15. And confusing labels at the pump don’t get the message across.

The key takeaway for motorcyclists is this: If you pull up to a fuel pump that offers E10 and E15, play it safe and look for the legally required pump that only dispenses E10. If you have an older or vintage bike, you need E0 – fuel with no ethanol.

As motorcyclists, we have to watch out for each other and get the word out: E15 fuel is unsafe and we’ve got to keep it out of our tanks.

Please send a prewritten comment to your senators and representative by clicking on the “Take Action” link.

Now more than ever, it is crucial that you and your riding friends become members of the AMA to help protect our riding freedoms. More members mean more clout against the opponents of motorcycling. That support will help fight for your rights – on the road, trail, racetrack, and in the halls of government. If you are a motorcycle rider, join the AMA at www.americanmotorcyclist.com/membership/join.

Take Action!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've said it before: Alcohol belongs in Bars; not in cars!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the problem as I see it...

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post

We thought common sense prevailed at the EPA.
    I don't think so.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    I don't think so.
    There is no longer such an entity as common sense.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

And if you haven't already join the American Motorcyclist Association the AMA. They are fighting this kind of stuff all the time.
    http://americanmotorcyclist.com/

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Good thing the spyder has a bigger tank. My mower now will be a problem.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

I wish they would leave the food to be consumed and not make it into fuel.

Spyder Garage

Think about it...just another way to sell more of the crap that nobody wants.

Glad I live where ethanol is not in use. Makes me want to keep my off the roads in the lower 48.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Amazing....

How we can cut our own throats.... so if they make the fuel unusable and we all go electric who are they going to sell the stuff to...???
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Whaaaaaaat? I have M/C's that only hold 2.5 gallons. That is the G-d D--nest thing I ever heard.

Strong letter to follow!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I received this notice also from the AMA (American Motorcycle Association) and as a member they have a form letter (email) of complaint ready to each of your reps. in the house and senate. They have been lobbying hard against ethanol in our fuels. As an additive to gasoline, it produces more pollution, we get worse gas mileage and it makes gasoline more expensive. Oh, let's not for get the billions of tax dollars that go to the distillers of ethanol as a subsidy!!!!
    Fortunately I have easy access to non-ethanol gasoline which I run in all our vehicles and all small engines we have, lawnmowers, string trimmers...
    After changing over to non-ethanol gas in our vehicles I noticed that gas mileage was up 3 mpg per vehicle. Except for my Spyder, it has always had non-ethanol gas in it.
    Join the AMA and help get the EPA off our backs!!!!!
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

Luckily I have a station that sells 89 no ethanol. I take three 5 Gal race jugs in the back of my truck to the station. 1st gal. from the pump goes in the truck so that I get all good stuff in the jugs. Then I fill my bike or mowers from the jugs at home. PITA, yes but at least I don't have fuel system issues. If I have to fill up on the road not much I can do.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Death of Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    I don't think so.
    The Death of Common Sense

By Lori Borgman
    Three yards of black fabric enshroud my computer terminal. I am mourning the passing of an old friend by the name of Common Sense.
    His obituary reads as follows:
    Common Sense, aka C.S., lived a long life, but died from heart failure at the brink of the millennium. No one really knows how old he was, his birth records were long ago entangled in miles and miles of bureaucratic red tape.
    Known affectionately to close friends as Horse Sense and Sound Thinking, he selflessly devoted himself to a life of service in homes, schools, hospitals and offices, helping folks get jobs done without a lot of fanfare, whooping and hollering. Rules and regulations and petty, frivolous lawsuits held no power over C.S.
    A most reliable sage, he was credited with cultivating the ability to know when to come in out of the rain, the discovery that the early bird gets the worm and how to take the bitter with the sweet. C.S. also developed sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn), reliable parenting strategies (the adult is in charge, not the kid) and prudent dietary plans (offset eggs and bacon with a little fiber and orange juice).
    A veteran of the Industrial Revolution, the Great Depression, the Technological Revolution and the Smoking Crusades, C.S. survived sundry cultural and educational trends including disco, the men's movement, body piercing, whole language and new math.
    C.S.'s health began declining in the late 1960s when he became infected with the If-It-Feels-Good, Do-It virus. In the following decades his waning strength proved no match for the ravages of overbearing federal and state rules and regulations and an oppressive tax code. C.S. was sapped of strength and the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband, criminals received better treatment than victims and judges stuck their noses in everything from Boy Scouts to professional baseball and golf. His deterioration accelerated as schools implemented zero-tolerance policies. Reports of 6-year-old boys charged with sexual harassment for kissing classmates, a teen suspended for taking a swig of Scope mouthwash after lunch, girls suspended for possessing Midol and an honor student expelled for having a table knife in her school lunch were more than his heart could endure.
    As the end neared, doctors say C.S. drifted in and out of logic but was kept informed of developments regarding regulations on low-flow toilets and mandatory air bags. Finally, upon hearing about a government plan to ban inhalers from 14 million asthmatics due to a trace of a pollutant that may be harmful to the environment, C.S. breathed his last. Services will be at Whispering Pines Cemetery. C.S. was preceded in death by his wife, Discretion; one daughter, Responsibility; and one son, Reason. He is survived by two step-brothers, Half-Wit and Dim-Wit.
    Memorial Contributions may be sent to the Institute for Rational Thought.
    Farewell, Common Sense. May you rest in peace.
    2012 RT Limited Pearl White
    Baja Ron anti sway bar, BRP trailer hitch, BRP Comfort seat and Back rest,
    SpyderPops Bumpskid, Vertika Floorboards, High mount Stop/Run and Turn signals,
    SM10 Dongle and SMH10 headset, ISO Handgrips
    More to come.

Spyder Garage

The epa is the gestapo of ................
    This subject is all political
    Last edited by vided; 09-03-2016 at 01:17 PM.

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vided View Post
    The epa is the gestapo of ................
    This subject is all political
    +1 you have the ethanol corn subsidy to thank for this. Way to go corn-holers.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

lobbyist .... need a good tar and feathering
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Imagestealer View Post
    The Death of Common Sense

By Lori Borgman

I liked your post.

Here is a good read -a New York Times Best Seller - on this very subject. Click here for more information.

Last edited by robmorg; 09-03-2016 at 06:18 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Default ELECTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    AND THE PROOF OF THAT IS: JOHN McCAIN, PAUL RYAN, MARCO RUBIA, DEBBIE WASSERMAN-SHULTZ ALL WON THEIR PRIMARY ELECTIONS...
    COLLECTIVELY, WE ARE BEYOND STUPID....

Spyder Garage

You really want to get their attention? Fill up and take less than the required 4 gallons. Spill the rest on the ground. Tell the station owner, I paid for it. I can do what I want. Yes I know. Who would do that? Well, give me change back. You going to let them sell the gas twice? I can see it happening folks. If our reps are that stupid. Someone will be stupid enough to do it. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Common sense has nothing to do with it. Somewhere someplace a shady deal was made and a politician is now much richer. Follow the money.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    You really want to get their attention? Fill up and take less than the required 4 gallons. Spill the rest on the ground. Tell the station owner, I paid for it. I can do what I want. Yes I know. Who would do that? Well, give me change back. You going to let them sell the gas twice? I can see it happening folks. Tom
    Hmm, not sure that would work. However, if you do buy gas from an E10/E15 blended pump you should DEFINITELY pure the first half gallon on the ground. In case the person before you bought the crappy E15 stuff, you've got to clear it out of the hose, before you can fill your tank.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    Common sense has nothing to do with it. Somewhere someplace a shady deal was made and a politician is now much richer. Follow the money.
    You're stating the obvious. Like they say on the GEICO commercials... "If you're a politician, you sell your vote and take the money. It's what you do!"

Spyder Garage

I break the law Everytime I fill my personal car. I use 100% pure gasosline. Sticker on the pump states it is for recreational vehicles and collectors cars and small motors and if I use it for other than that I'm breaking some B's law. I have never been asked or given any trouble by the gas station when I pay for the premium non ethanol gas.
    What a waste of tax payers money. Let's use that money wasted and build that wall.
    Vote Trump

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Didn't you "collect' that car from a dealership? There's no law being broken: your collection is only just starting!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black