Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand Brake

Spyder Garage

Default Hand Brake

I think I will start work on designing a hand brake for my RTs. I had talked about this right after I bought the bike. Is there anything already on the market that I can look at? No need to re-invent the wheel.

Spyder Garage

Default Yeah....

Only one that I know of. ICSI I believe that is the right letters but you can search them out here. They are not cheap and sometimes you will find them on sale in ebay or amazon.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We also have that on our list to take a look at. The ISCI brake is almost a coaster brake. Had an RT in for repair last weekend and got a chance to look at their setup.
    They use a standalone hydraulic system with a master on the bar handle and a slave that is mounted so that it pushes part of the linkage down, activating the Spyder's braking system. The problem with that is pressure and stroke. You only have so much brake fluid that you can send down the line from the master cylinder to the slave so you are limited to the size slave you can use. Also, the Spyder braking system is designed to be operated with the foot, which is way stronger than your grip.
    Seeing the setup I am surprised that it works as well as it does, but right now that is all we have got.
    I have some ideas that have been rattling around in my brain, but I will keep them to myself.
    I look forward to what you come up. It has got to be cheaper and hopefully work better than what is available now.

Spyder Garage

​I have the ISCI hand brake and I love it. I never have to take my feet off of the highway pegs. It is not hard to stop the bike at all.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nslowmotion View Post
    ​I have the ISCI hand brake and I love it. I never have to take my feet off of the highway pegs. It is not hard to stop the bike at all.
    Wow, I didn't ryde his Spyder so didn't experience it firsthand. Was going by what I had heard about them. That is encouraging that it works well for you. Maybe we don't have to reinvent the wheel, just make it about 1/2 the cost.....

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Hand Brake

Way back when .... Lamont actually modified a Hand Brake to the Spyder ...... plus others have improved on His ..... finding this info is going to be a chore ........ but it did work .......Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roadster Renovations View Post
    Wow, I didn't ryde his Spyder so didn't experience it firsthand. Was going by what I had heard about them. That is encouraging that it works well for you. Maybe we don't have to reinvent the wheel, just make it about 1/2 the cost.....
    I think you'll find a large market for a handbrake at a reasonable cost.
    I miss having one, but I don't miss it enough to pay 5% of the Spyder just for a brake handle.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I have it works great

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default My experience

I had build a mechanical one using a aftermarket hand brake lever and had a special cable made to operate at the brake pedal...It worked well as a coaster brake but lacked the mechanical force needed at the brake pedal to be the primary brake...I never posted pictures or bragged about it...I ended up buying slightly used ISCI unit and never looked back...It works well...larryd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We also have that on our list to take a look at. The ISCI brake is almost a coaster brake.
    Yet you went on to accurately say that it activates the "normal" brakes on the Spyder, in a manner similar to pushing the foot pedal.
    I think calling that a "coaster brake" is a gross misrepresentation.

And without actually trying it, no less.

Wow, I didn't ryde his Spyder so didn't experience it firsthand.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 04-21-2018 at 08:29 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Brake

There will be a lot of R&D time to come up with a properly functioning hand brake...which is why I have put this on the back burner. But I've spent most of my life designing and building race and street one off cars...so I have little doubt that I can come with a workable design. But do I want to invest the time and money? This is probably why the ISCI is so costly. I won't work for $5 per hour and I bet they won't either.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Yet you went on to accurately say that it activates the "normal" brakes on the Spyder, in a manner similar to pushing the foot pedal.
    I think calling that a "coaster brake" is a gross misrepresentation.

And without actually trying it, no less.
    You are absolutely right. The previous threads about these brakes spoke of them not working well at high speeds, hence the term "coaster brake". Also, not everyone has a significant amount of strength in their grip (older or challenged ryders) so while this may work great for some, it probably doesn't work as well for everyone.

And whether I rode it or not doesn't matter because my grip strength is different than someone elses and would not be a valid comparison.

Spyder Garage

Default ISCI Hand Brake

My friend SethO has one, and he rides hard. Coaster brake? Not hardly! Works great. I have ridden several with it, and it works very well. The Master cylinder is from Harley, so it is not cheap, and the slave is their design. ISCI is an engineering company. Spyder parts are an aside; they make precision parts for the military, industry, manufacturing. I have never heard a complaint, other than the price. You get what you pay for; in this case, a tried and true handbrake for the Spyder, from a solid company. I toured their facility, and it is awesome! Top notch people.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

I built my own and have no problem at all stopping. Mine is with a master cylinder and slave the operates the foot brake linkage. Have had a hand brake all my life riding 2 wheels. But I will tell you I find not using the hand brake as much as I use too. Too a while to erase the 2 wheel habits. But still like the hand brake when I need it. I really needed it after having both knees replaced. Now knees are better I use it while cruising and legs stretched out.

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

All good information above. Like Corbin seats, people either liked them or hated them. And like Corbin seats, also pricey.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Lots of info.

Quote Originally Posted by SailnDive View Post
    I think I will start work on designing a hand brake for my RTs. I had talked about this right after I bought the bike. Is there anything already on the market that I can look at? No need to re-invent the wheel.
    I along with many others have built their own. I spent about $300 + time. I will give you links to the how to's I looked at as well as places you can get the parts. Then I will show you what I went with.

These links will take you to very well done how to's and talk with pictures on others ideas.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...tive-to-Cables

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...46#post1125746

These links are just two places you can find the parts listed in the first two links.

http://www.colemanracing.com/Slave-C...ype-P4587.aspx

https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650...-assembly.html

I used the same master as the rest because I could not find another that would work better. I did use a different Master as I liked it better. I did give up a bit of braking power I believe, due to a smaller 20mm bore. I did not have to modify my master to fit as the others did and I like the look better. I have only had one time where the hand brake was not enough and that was on a steep grade. The foot brake it still fully functional and during an emergency I alway use both just like with a bike, so no problems there.

Here are the links to my master and to where I got my line.

https://www.2fastmoto.com/2FastMoto-...uki_p_212.html

http://www.venhillusa.com/make-your-...ke-line-1.html

20170612_115856.jpg20170612_120128.jpg20170630_194826.jpg20170630_194738.jpg20170630_194805.jpg
    2019 RTL

Farkles
    BRP Comfort Seat.
    Foam Grips
    Lidlox
    BRP Passenger armrests
    Baja Ron Anti sway bar
    Lamonster's upgraded BRP vibration damper.
    2019 RTL , Asphalt Grey Metallic Dark

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The previous threads about these brakes spoke of them not working well at high speeds, hence the term "coaster brake".
    I've been following the discussions about this for some time now and do not remember EVER seeing even one person make that comment.
    Could you provide a link, please ?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Just ordered what I need to put handbrake on my 2012 RT-S. The #375/300 slave cylinder, a Honda Goldwing handbrake master cylinder assy, and a new set of 3" RSI pivoting risers which will allow this to all come together.

Spyder Garage

So what's the deal here ?
    Do we have a viable alternative to the ISCI hand brake at a fraction of the cost ?
    Please post details about the parts list and installation instructions.

Much Thanks
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    Just ordered what I need to put handbrake on my 2012 RT-S. The #375/300 slave cylinder, a Honda Goldwing handbrake master cylinder assy, and a new set of 3" RSI pivoting risers which will allow this to all come together.
    The Slave Cylinder is a 7/8 bore or 22.25mm if I got that right. What size is the honda Master? I used a 20mm and lost some braking power, but is fine for me. I could not find a 22mm master other then the old school one others have used. I like the Radial Style Masters though they are more efficient and help to clear the switch housing. I primarily looked for that style. I'm sure there are other 22mm masters out there, but lots of oem parts don't list the bore without lots of digging.
    2019 RTL

Farkles
    BRP Comfort Seat.
    Foam Grips
    Lidlox
    BRP Passenger armrests
    Baja Ron Anti sway bar
    Lamonster's upgraded BRP vibration damper.
    2019 RTL , Asphalt Grey Metallic Dark

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Huked View Post
    The Slave Cylinder is a 7/8 bore or 22.25mm if I got that right. What size is the honda Master? I used a 20mm and lost some braking power, but is fine for me. I could not find a 22mm master other then the old school one others have used. I like the Radial Style Masters though they are more efficient and help to clear the switch housing. I primarily looked for that style. I'm sure there are other 22mm masters out there, but lots of oem parts don't list the bore without lots of digging.
    It's a 16mm which prolly won't be very efficient. i looked for a 20+mm but didn't see anything. I didn't even know about the radial design until I had already ordered my parts. may have to backup and punt!

Spyder Garage

Default Plugger2

Quote Originally Posted by SailnDive View Post
    I totaled my 2015 rt and wanted to know if u are interrested in mine that I took off my RT.If interested will sell cheap $250.00.email me.i bought it from isci.email me if u are interested.
    plugger2@verizon.net
    If anybody else is interested in brake from ASCIthe offer stands for anybody..
    Last edited by Plugger2; 04-23-2018 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Just adding on

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger2 View Post
    I totaled my 2015 rt and wanted to know if u are interrested in mine that I took off my RT.If interested will sell cheap $250.00.email me.i bought it from isci.email me if u are interested.
    plugger2@verizon.net
    WOW, WHAT A BUY! and here I am only 60 miles from you.