Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Can't decide between a Spyder RT or a Harley/Honda Trike. HELP

Hello,

I just recently got my M3 license in Va. I took the test riding a Spyder, but I also have riddent a Harley Trike and liked both.

Trying to break down the Pro's and Cons of both. I am a little concerned on the electrical components of the spyder. Any and all information you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DonCSCS View Post
    Hello,

I just recently got my M3 license in Va. I took the test riding a Spyder, but I also have riddent a Harley Trike and liked both.

Trying to break down the Pro's and Cons of both. I am a little concerned on the electrical components of the spyder. Any and all information you can share would be greatly appreciated.
    First of all, Don, you do realize this forum is "SpyderLovers", right?

I was in the same boat in 2013. I had a friend point out that all my experience in the past was on two-wheels. He reminded me that, as I hugged a tight turn on a rear wheeled trike, I might be hugging the center line with my front wheel . . . which would put my inside rear wheel in the other lane . . . not a concern with the Spyder because you see where those "outrigger wheels" are located, when they are in front of you.

I went with the Spyder and love it . . . it is the most fun I've had in my 60's, and I will never go back to two wheels . . . or a rear-wheeled trike.

That said, it is your choice and no one can make it for you. If you buy a new Spyder, it comes with an unlimited mileage warranty for two years, and BRP offers an extended warranty, honored by all BRP dealers that you can get for an additional 1, 2, or 3 years . . .

My advice? Get a Spyder. . . you will have no regrets.
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It really depends on what you want. The harley trike and spyder are two totally different rides. The only similarities are the amount of wheels and similar pricing. Other than that they are completely different rides.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

+1 on Drew's comment. On one mechanical point remember that the Spyder has a REAL reverse gear.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I'd be very interested in the responses you get from posting this same question on a Harley and a Goldwing board.

I can tell you my next door neighbor has the Harley trike and he complains about it all the time. He always asks me about my Spyder when I see him. I think the only thing keeping him from a Spyder is the amount of grief his Harley buddies would give him. I could be wrong, just my take.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OMG

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    It really depends on what you want. The harley trike and spyder are two totally different rides. The only similarities are the amount of wheels and similar pricing. Other than that they are completely different rides.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    ...................And Drew knows Trikes, I test drove a Honda trike before the Spyder ......IMHO I thought it was a Death machine ...Didn't handle worth crap......Didn't stop worth crap either..........95 % of what you do on the road is turning and with a conventional Trike you have ONE wheel doing it .....I have TWO,.......The only Spyder I would own at this point would have to have to have the 1330 engine in it. The V-Twin was a mis-take, they realized this and built the 1330 to replace it.......................JMHO......Mike

Spyder Garage

FWIW, I started riding in 1978 as a cheap way to get from home to work and college. I didn't venture into 3 wheeled territory until 2010 when I test rode a Spyder RT. I hated it. Well, 2 years later I bought a sidecar rig so I could get SWMBO out in the air because she was no longer comfortable on 2 wheels due to two replaced knees and a hip that got replaced in 2014. She decided that she wanted her own ride so she bought a 14 RTLtd 6 weeks before her hip replacement surgery. I had the pleasure of riding the RT the 40 miles home. By the time I got the RT home, I was convinced that the sidecar rig, though it was well setup, was too much effort to drive, compared to the Spyder. I bought an RTS in Feb. I'd say go with the Spyder.

does anyone one want a sidecar rig?
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    First of all, Don, you do realize this forum is "SpyderLovers", right? My advice? Get a Spyder. . . you will have no regrets.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post

My advice? Get a Spyder. . . you will have no regrets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    What do you bet he gets the same advise from the Harley and the Goldwing forums? (just swap out the brand name)
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Hello,

I seriously doubt that you will receive the kind of unbiased information you seek by posting the question on this site. Maybe you posted it on a Harley site as well and intend to balance out the comments?
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have had both and ended up trading in the TRIGLIDE for The SPYDER..

Much better ride and no heat..The newer 1330 Spyder is something not to worry about IMO.

I would do another test ride on both or rent them both for a day.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    What do you bet he gets the same advise from the Harley and the Goldwing forums? (just swap out the brand name)
    I'd bet some pretty SERIOUS coin, on that one!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The Spyder was designed from the ground up as a trike. Isn't the Harley trike a simple add on just like the Honda trike? Just thinking while typing. I say go with the Spyder, I'm loving my F3.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THE HONDA TRIKE

Quote Originally Posted by ElmoLucy View Post
    The Spyder was designed from the ground up as a trike. Isn't the Harley trike a simple add on just like the Honda trike? Just thinking while typing. I say go with the Spyder, I'm loving my F3.
    The Honda Trike is not a HONDA .....ask Honda about it .......after you trike one of the Honda Motorcycles ....Honda abandons you, and I believe they actually void most of your warranty.............Something you might want to think about !!!!! .....Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-27-2015 at 06:52 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you want the wave and that kind of cool, go hd.
    if you want FUN and that kind of K O O L you must go Spyder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ElmoLucy View Post

The Tri-Glide is the only purpose-built conventional trike, that I know of. All the Honda trikes are after-market kits, though, for the most part, very well done and have good reputations. If you want the semi-automatic, you should definitely go with the Spyder.

I had a 2011 RTS and was planning to trade either for new Spyder or a Tri-Glide. The main reason I even considered the TG was that I could get it serviced at a local dealer and their dealer network is about everywhere. My nearest Spyder dealers are 2 1/2 hours away from me. I test rode the TG and liked it, but it was basically a 2-wheeler with a wider dual-wheel rear end. Then I called Len at Pitbull. He reminded me that the new '14 doesn't even need service until 3000 miles and every 9600 miles after that. With that interval, I don't need to worry so much about locations of dealers.

BTW, I also posted my questions on the HD forum, and got all kind of grief for even considering something other than HD. So remember you'll get biased responses, no matter where you post.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There is the Freewheeler too.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vided View Post
    If you want the wave and that kind of cool, go hd.
    if you want FUN and that kind of K O O L you must go Spyder
    Get a spyder Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

The Honda Trikes are difficult to steer, ( a friend of mine use to own a Honda Trike, he had a difficult time steering the Honda trike, he use to ride/drive 2 wheeled motorcycles) because of the 2 wheels in the back, and the single wheel in the front, and it was difficult going thru the corners.

I would get the Spyder RT, these are easier to steer, and you would get the wave and be Cool also you could add farkles. You would have a lot of power with the 1330 ACE engine, less trips to the dealerships, 1200-W alternator, ECO friendly gas mode, comfortable ride, 6 speed transmission, quieter engine.

My first spyder was a 2012RTS-SE5 A/C then I upgraded to a 2014RTS-SE6 ( my current spyder is the 2014RTS-SE6) and I am planning on keeping this one for a long time. Also, glad you found us, and welcome to Spyderland. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As far as I am concerned the Spyder is a Cadillac compared to the Triglide.
    I can ride the all day and not realize I was out all day..

The Triglide I would have been all beat up and want to get off the dam thing.

The power steering really is a nice feature. Once I added the Rons Sway bar and Tri Axis bars its now setup just the way I want it. I sit steer and drive.
    Last edited by trikermutha; 06-27-2015 at 08:31 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    The Honda Trike is not a HONDA .....ask Honda about it .......after you trike one of the Honda Motorcycles ....Honda abandons you, and I believe they actually void most of your warranty.............Something you might want to think about !!!!! .....Mike
    I had a Honda trike that needed warranty work and had no problems. Any trike trouble should be a seperate warranty by the mfg of the kit. If you have trouble, it would be the dealer. But that is NOT the reason I came from a Honda trike to the Spyder. If I have to explain, you would'nt understand. If you understand, no explanation is necessary
    Last edited by Rottieluvr; 06-27-2015 at 08:39 PM.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) pslawing's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I test drove a regular trike and it was horrible to handle. The back wheels came off the ground in curves, I couldn't wait to get back to the dealership.
    Then I took a Spyder RT out! WOW what a difference. Didn't want to go back to the dealership!!!!!! I could've rode all day. So I just bought one!
    Try the both you will see.

Spyder Garage

I am not sure what you mean by electrical components. If you mean systems that are controlled by a computer then you can rest assured that the Spyder is a computer on wheels. Some of the best systems include:

Power steering
    Traction control
    Stabilization control

The nanny has saved my bacon on more then one occasion.

If you are worried that the computer control system will malfunction... well, there's a reason all new military aircraft are fly by wire. Proven reliability. Before fly by wire a pilot could easily force an aircraft to perform an unsafe maneuver that would result in a very expensive and deadly hole in the ground. My Spyder does the same thing for me.

This is the way I look at it. Do I have concerns taking my Harley on multi day rides or a long road trip? Yes I do.

Do I have those concerns with the Spyder? Not at all.

Spyder Garage

Default Just got in from a 300 mi ride with trikes, bikes, and Spyders

Hello,

Rode with a group led by lady on a Honda Goldwing Trike, and followed by two bikes, two Freewheelers and four Spyders, an '11, 2013, 2014 and 2015. All did well on the straights and twisties although it did seem like one Freewheeler rider seemed to hug the inside line on the curves.

All kept up and reflected the individual tastes of the riders; The GW trike probably had the most miles on it pushing 100,000, followed by the '11 RT with 68,000 then the bikes, with 10-40,000 miles, the 2014 and '15 RTS with 10,000 miles each and the two Freewheelers with less than 10K. Oh, and other than myself, all were female riders.

As others have said, its a personal choice and everyone will support the bike they ride. I've never ridden a trike, so don't have personal experience there, but out of the 6 bikes/makes we've enjoyed prior to the Spyders, the two Hondas seemed to be most trouble free followed by the Spyders, and then the HD's. Not much help, I know, but the relationship you have with a local dealer will go a long way to making for a Happy Ride, no matter what you choose.
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Ryde whatever you wish but here I my observation: They quit building "Big Red" off-road three wheelers, why??? Because they were very unstable when pushed. The same engineering is true with any conventional trike when pushed. As long as you are on good roads at reasonable speeds, all are fine. You can crowd the heck out a Spyder and it will go. Jerk the handlebar and you better hang on because it IS going to turn. I have lots of miles on both designs and strongly prefer the 1330 RT.