Spyder Garage

Default admins please read...New owner with a few questions about speakers and other things.

Hello to everyone. I bought my Spyder ST limited about a 6 weeks ago and I've put about 800 miles on it now. The can am is a great riding machine as many of you already know and I'm really happy that I bought it but I am having a few issues with speakers and a few other things. My front speakers have already gone out because I was trying to use them on the interstate and couldn't get them loud enough to hear over the wind and I think they've gone out. Any song I listen to now with bass makes the speakers reverberate really bad. I've been looking around for a decent speaker and I read several posts on here about other speakers I'm not sure about them they're not listed as a waterproof speaker. I have found the speaker at JP cycles by the name of hog tunes which are 4.25 in speaker that should work. I am also considering adding a small Kenwood amp i will add a link but it's meant for direct volume stereo output so there's no need for a pre-amp I don't think the stereo on the ST has a pre-amp output but I'm not sure I haven't dug into that yet am but I wondering if anybody can give me any other suggestions or if you think this setip will work.

I am also considering adding in the communication system, but I can see very little in the pictures of the communication system and I'm not sure if this will work with my helmet I have a Bell Revolver Helmet. So for those of you who do have the communication system which do you prefer if you're listening to music on the interstate do you prefer a louder speaker or the communication system? Around town I would still probably just use the speakers because they're more than loud enough.

I also have a question about adding the fog lights to the ST. I don't think the stock headlights are bright enough on low and are too far out on high so I'm simply wondering if you think the fog lights are worth it. I think they will be but I'm not sure. I'm not sure how long they will take to install I don't know how easy it's going to be. So if anybody can help me out with these questions that would be great.

http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/amplifiers/kac-m1804/

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/534-373
    Last edited by Jared; 06-07-2015 at 10:48 PM. Reason: someone is trying to hijack this thread

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Welcome..!! Welcome..!!

to both this awesome site and the roadster world...congrats on your new ryde.. not into exterior sound systems but have it all in my scala G9 system. I am connected to the gps, mp3, radio fm, phone, intercom and up to 8other ryders...others can help with the sounds, I know Lamont has installed some good one and can help you...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome

I just installed fog lights on my ST last month. It was part of the deal when I bought mine. The fog lights are the stock ones. It took a couple hours. Harness and switch included. Instructions were pictures.

Spyder Garage

Default new to spyder

hello everyone this is my first time owning a spyder .most of my riding will be 2 up and i was wondering if anyone had suggestions on how to set up my 2010 rt for best ride rider weight is around 500lbs and my rt does not have automatic ride adjust .with front suspension need to be adjusted as well and can it be adjusted.also the my rt only has 1200 miles is it past break in period i do not have any manuals with it. i was also wondering about the proper rpm to shift at as well as cruising rpm. thanks in advance for your input.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerkitty View Post
    hello everyone this is my first time owning a spyder .most of my riding will be 2 up and i was wondering if anyone had suggestions on how to set up my 2010 rt for best ride rider weight is around 500lbs and my rt does not have automatic ride adjust .with front suspension need to be adjusted as well and can it be adjusted.also the my rt only has 1200 miles is it past break in period i do not have any manuals with it. i was also wondering about the proper rpm to shift at as well as cruising rpm. thanks in advance for your input.
    Why are you hijacking my thread? you have your own questions that have nothing to do with mine and you own a different machine and are asking questions about it in an ST thread not an RT. Please delete your post and ask your questions in the RT thread and in your own post.

Spyder Garage

My two toys my three wheeler and my four wheeler.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Y Factor View Post
    I just installed fog lights on my ST last month. It was part of the deal when I bought mine. The fog lights are the stock ones. It took a couple hours. Harness and switch included. Instructions were pictures.
    Thanks. I don't think I'll have any problems installing them. Is the amount of light they put out worth the 400 price tag or would i be better off just buying some HID lights?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    to both this awesome site and the roadster world...congrats on your new ryde.. not into exterior sound systems but have it all in my scala G9 system. I am connected to the gps, mp3, radio fm, phone, intercom and up to 8other ryders...others can help with the sounds, I know Lamont has installed some good one and can help you...
    Cool thanks for the heads up I'll check them out. Do you use the CAN AM dongle to connect that system to the spyder?

Spyder Garage

admins could you please remove tiger kitty from this thread because their questions don't relate to mine. I have already asked them to do so in an IM and they said they would not.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Independant....

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Cool thanks for the heads up I'll check them out. Do you use the CAN AM dongle to connect that system to the spyder?
    The scala G9 we use is helmet to helmet and we don't run it through the spyde. Maybe someone has hooked it up and will post how...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Lamont style sound

Saw this @ spyderfest didnt get to hear but sure it is great. On my 13STL I run stock sound & only have problems if my visor is closed 100% too hot so hardly ever a worry for me, fyi most every state has laws against headphones if using hands free set up run 1speaker. Most setups have this in the fine print. Best of luck & show us when you get something you like.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the help. I will replace with the speakers with the ones I listed above and add the amp. After looking around at the comm systems and figuring out how the communication system all works I won't be buying them through Can Am they have their stuff listed for a much higher price and its made by SENA which can be bought through several different places.
    I'll add some pics and a quick review when I get everything done.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Saw this @ spyderfest didnt get to hear but sure it is great. On my 13STL I run stock sound & only have problems if my visor is closed 100% too hot so hardly ever a worry for me, fyi most every state has laws against headphones if using hands free set up run 1speaker. Most setups have this in the fine print. Best of luck & show us when you get something you like.
    I have heard about the laws against headphones and do somewhat agree and I see why its on the books. I like those small speakers and am considering buying some I'm just not sure how well they will fit on the ST I think I can put them right beside the mirror. Thanks for the heads up about the hands free I will take a look at the one I plan on buying.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Thanks. I don't think I'll have any problems installing them. Is the amount of light they put out worth the 400 price tag or would i be better off just buying some HID lights?

They were worth the $400 price tag. The quality of the housing etc. was way beyond what I had expected and the plug and play installation made it easy.

I've seen other threads that caution buying certain HID lights because they were no better than the stock and some were causing problems. You might want to ask that question over in the General Discussion to see what the consensus is.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Y Factor View Post
    They were worth the $400 price tag. The quality of the housing etc. was way beyond what I had expected and the plug and play installation made it easy.

I've seen other threads that caution buying certain HID lights because they were no better than the stock and some were causing problems. You might want to ask that question over in the General Discussion to see what the consensus is.
    thanks for the info. I ordered the fog lights today, they should be here in a few days. The HID lights were a "if nothing else" works item. I know they are supposed to be very bright from what I have heard to bright for oncoming traffic and since I used to drive semi OTR that was one of my pet peeves.