Spyder Garage

Default grill and block off plate

I apologize if this has been discussed, but I can't find the info. Has anyone purchased the right hand grill and block off plate (from the 14 and 15 RTS) to install on the 13 RTS. That would eliminate the right foot heat (I know some of you make fun of it and don't believe it is a problem, but I don't want to hear about that. Of course most of the naysayers don't even own a 13, and I expect that Mr. Bob will throw his usual gibberish at this issue). I always ride with proper gear and boots and until I did a makeshift fix, my right foot was burned through the boot. I'd like to try this and repair the makeshift fix.

I am only interested in hearing from anyone who has done this.
    2013 RTS SE5
    2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700

Spyder Garage

they sell them for the 13 rt but i didn't find them muck good when i did it
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    they sell them for the 13 rt but i didn't find them muck good when i did it
    Did you remove the bottom panel in that cavity (or cut holes) so that the hot air had somewhere to go? When you say it didn't do much good, do you mean you still experienced a hot right foot? Thanks for the reply.
    2013 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

On my 13 i cut three 2 1/2 inch holes in the plastic part of the frame and used the block off plate from Spyderpops, it worked.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Huddleston View Post
    Did you remove the bottom panel in that cavity (or cut holes) so that the hot air had somewhere to go? When you say it didn't do much good, do you mean you still experienced a hot right foot? Thanks for the reply.
    i left the bottom panel in but cut the back plastic out of the bike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default Curious..!!

didn't know the 14/15 RT's still had this problem. The radiators were moved and fans have a reverse action when stopped.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    didn't know the 14/15 RT's still had this problem. The radiators were moved and fans have a reverse action when stopped.

He has a 13, he was looking for a plate from a 14 or 15.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

, Has anybody seen bob?? he should of posted by now.

DON'T PICK ON BOB., OR THE GREMLINS WILL GET YOU.

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

Just a reminder, BRP has started a recall program on the 2013 RT to address the heat issue. I have no idea if it'll work, but you might give it a chance before spending your own good money on trying other options. I have seen the recall instructions, some 30 pages worth & it includes adding side scoops and reprogramming the fuel system (I believe), alonng with other changes

That said, on my 2010 RT, I used the lower block off plate offered by Spyder Pops (site vendor) and removed the two panels under the engine. While it did not give 100% relief, it did help significantly, making it very tolerable. I noticed nothing alarming with the temp gauge. I also used the other heat management options Spyder Pops offers.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Honest... I was trying to figure out why he said that...
    I honestly can't recall trying to downplay the issue, and I've always been as supportive as I could be for the folks who were trying to find a fix...

"and I expect that Mr. Bob will throw his usual gibberish at this issue)."

Well: **** you too!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 RT-S and installed the grill and plate, cut holes in the bottom and rear plastic panels and only found a slight lowering in temperature. No subjective results, only seat of the pants testing. I've had my dealer order the heat kit and am hoping that it makes more of a difference to my right foot.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    Just a reminder, BRP has started a recall program on the 2013 RT to address the heat issue. I have no idea if it'll work, but you might give it a chance before spending your own good money on trying other options. I have seen the recall instructions, some 30 pages worth & it includes adding side scoops and reprogramming the fuel system (I believe), alonng with other changes

That said, on my 2010 RT, I used the lower block off plate offered by Spyder Pops (site vendor) and removed the two panels under the engine. While it did not give 100% relief, it did help significantly, making it very tolerable. I noticed nothing alarming with the temp gauge. I also used the other heat management options Spyder Pops offers.

100%

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Honest... I was trying to figure out why he said that...
    I honestly can't recall trying to downplay the issue, and I've always been as supportive as I could be for the folks who were trying to find a fix...

"and I expect that Mr. Bob will throw his usual gibberish at this issue)."

Well: **** you too!
    Bob

Some folks don't appreciate all the good advice that you give, and when someone is frustrated with something it is sometimes hard to see that a little humor sometimes makes things better. But there are a lot of folks out here that have benefited from your advice and humor, so keep it going.

Cruzr Joe

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm not the one that put the heat is his bike...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Huddleston View Post
    I apologize if this has been discussed, but I can't find the info. Has anyone purchased the right hand grill and block off plate (from the 14 and 15 RTS) to install on the 13 RTS. That would eliminate the right foot heat (I know some of you make fun of it and don't believe it is a problem, but I don't want to hear about that. Of course most of the naysayers don't even own a 13, and I expect that Mr. Bob will throw his usual gibberish at this issue). I always ride with proper gear and boots and until I did a makeshift fix, my right foot was burned through the boot. I'd like to try this and repair the makeshift fix.

I am only interested in hearing from anyone who has done this.
    I did exactly what you're looking to do. Here's my discussion of it

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...heat-block-mod

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I installed the plastic grill from the 2014 RT to fill in that ugly upper hole and to match the LHS grill and it looks great, really don't understand why it wasn't a standard item.
    I tried the lower blank off but ended up removing it as I felt it just retained more heat under the tupperware and I didn't wish to start cutting great big holes to give the retained hot air somewhere to go, apart from rising under the tupperware and heating my privates even more than usual.
    Now with BRP hopefully solving the heat issue I'm happy just to go with the upper grill as it looks so much better than just a big black hole.
    Hope this may be of help.

Spyder Garage

2013 rt i had the block off plate put on and cat deleate,and both bottom plates removed much inproved,and ive never had gas smell ever or boiling gas.and it runs much better than stock,and also youshi pipe with baffel out.sounds grate too.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    I did exactly what you're looking to do. Here's my discussion of it

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...heat-block-mod
    Thank you, I just had not seen that. Very helpful.
    2013 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by napper39 View Post
    2013 rt i had the block off plate put on and cat deleate,and both bottom plates removed much inproved,and ive never had gas smell ever or boiling gas.and it runs much better than stock,and also youshi pipe with baffel out.sounds grate too.
    When you say you had "both bottom plates removed", are you including the bottom plate where the fan blows into. That is the one that I am considering removing.
    2013 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

I did this mod on both of our 2013 RTs. Also opened up the fan shroud to blow the air down rather than out the side (since the side is now completely blocked. Hot foot gone. Engine temp and fuel smell uneffected.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I did this mod on both of our 2013 RTs. Also opened up the fan shroud to blow the air down rather than out the side (since the side is now completely blocked. Hot foot gone. Engine temp and fuel smell uneffected.
    Us too, on the 2011 RT. Looks great. A little trimming required but the whole plate fits in as is. $20 well spent.
    Marilyn 2023 RTL Red
    John 2023 RTL Black

previous:
    2015 RTS SE6 Red
    2015 F3S SE6 Silver
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"