Spyder Garage

Default which one?which one not?

Hi I am new to the post, and greatful that it exists. I relocated 2 years ago back home to germany, after 30 years in New york. Just back , I had to deal with an autoimmunedisease, which sapped a good deal of my strength, forcing me to to put my motorcycles into retirement. But, this beeing a country and area with probably the best riding aerea in the world ( voges mountains, blackforest, jura, alpes) I cant stay away, and need help with a spyder. Can anyone , in very general terms, advise to which modelyear(s) I can purchase used, and which ones , and model types, I should keep clear off. For example, I was just offered
    a 2008 rs manuel shift, 2000 miles, mint, for 11500 euros, which is a decent price, (the owner told me about 2 recalls, which were fixed)
    so if someone could kindlyguide me the right way, I would appreciate it. peter

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELCOME!

If you like a sport bike style riding position and a high reving v-twin you have found a good bike.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default highwayman2013

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    If you like a sport bike style riding position and a high reving v-twin you have found a good bike.
    so you see no problem buying a 2008 rs if I read you right? regards, and send some of your warmth

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The GS from 2008, and the later RS versions, are all a great sporty ride...
    If you want more comfort and carrying capacity for long distance riding; take a look at the RT models.
    The 2010 RTs had a lot of throttle body issues; that was pretty well stopped by 2012.
    The ONLY year RT, to really be careful about: the 2013 RT. (heat issues)
    Of course; the new 1330cc engine in the Touring models is a very nice upgrade... if it's within your price range!

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default thanks and as well for the welcome. regards, Peter

THANKS BOBFOR THE INFO
    If you want more comfort and carrying capacity for long distance riding; take a look at the RT models.
    The 2010 RTs had a lot of throttle body issues; that was pretty well stopped by 2012.
    The ONLY year RT, to really be careful about: the 2013 RT. (heat issues)
    Of course; the new 1330cc engine in the Touring models is a very nice upgrade... if it's within your price range!

[/QUOTE]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hsteil View Post
    so you see no problem buying a 2008 rs if I read you right? regards, and send some of your warmth
    2008 was the introductory year for Spyder, and at that time the RS was the only model available. 200 miles on a 7 year old Spyder is very low. It may be a good deal. Doesn't Germany have a law about no vehicles more than 10 years old? If so, you'd have only about 3 years life on that RS.

If you like a more up-right riding position, look at the ST or RT (for touring). The newest model is the F3, but it would cost you more.

In any case, I can't wait to hear what you end up getting. Don't forget to post a pic.

And BTW,
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default PRAIRIE SPYDER, THANKS

THANKS FOR THE POST. SHE HAS 2000 MILES, NOT 200. NO, NO SUCH LAW IN gERMANY. THE BIKE IS PART OF A COLLECTION OF VEHICULES, THE GUY IS A TISSUE MAN, A GUY WHO LOVES TO CLEAN. LOOKS LIKE OUT OF THE SHOWROOM. BTW, REGARDING THE LAW YOU MENTIONED BUT WHICH DOES NOT EXIST: i HAVE A COLLECTION OF BIKES GOING BACK TO THE LATE 70, AND i WAS RIDING THEM ALL, DEPENDING ON MY MOOD. MY MOST LOVED BIKE IS MY HONDA GB500TT CLUBMAN, SHE IS 27 YEARS OLD WITH JUST 7000 MILES ON IT.....MY KAWA W2 IS STILL OLDER... REGARDS, pETER

2008 was the introductory year for Spyder, and at that time the RS was the only model available. 200 miles on a 7 year old Spyder is very low. It may be a good deal. Doesn't Germany have a law about no vehicles more than 10 years old? If so, you'd have only about 3 years life on that RS.

If you like a more up-right riding position, look at the ST or RT (for touring). The newest model is the F3, but it would cost you more.

In any case, I can't wait to hear what you end up getting. Don't forget to post a pic.

And BTW, [/QUOTE]

Spyder Garage

I have some good customers in Germany. If you want to PM me your contact information I can give it to them and they may be able to give you a better idea from a local perspective.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome..!!

Welcome home..glad your getting to where you want to get back out there on the open road. You do have some fine ryding over there. That 2008 is a good machine have many friends still ryding them with close to a hundred thousand miles. Don't know what your options are , there are other models but if you go with this one you will have a great ryding experience...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default why is it

that whenever somebody asks questions about a gs or rs everybody tries to sell them on something else. how about just trying to answer the question that's being asked. the 08 or 09 gs sm is probably the most trouble free spyder ever. as for the price, how much are they going for in your corner of the world? you would have to research your area. am i biased? maybe, but i've had damn little trouble out of my 08 GS.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I also had a 1989 Honda GB 500 TT. It was one of the most fun bikes that I ever owned!

Spyder Garage

I was station in Frankfurt a few years back please remember the German autobahns!

Spyder Garage

My 2008 has a little over 74,000 now and runs great. Like Coz I've had very little trouble and a lot of fun! If that's a good price for your area you cannot go wrong. One of the most important thing is a good dealer. Be sure to have it hooked up to BUDS for updates to keep it running smoothly. The after market has a lot of items to improve it to your style. Go for it. [emoji106]

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

I bought the first 2008 GS that was sold in Alaska. I put 23,500 miles on it before trading off on the new RT (at the time).

A great and I had no issues with it.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-02-2015 at 03:40 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyderjockey is probably at 110,000 miles by now on his 2008...

Spyder Garage

Default open road ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Welcome home..glad your getting to where you want to get back out there on the open road. You do have some fine ryding over there. That 2008 is a good machine have many friends still ryding them with close to a hundred thousand miles. Don't know what your options are , there are other models but if you go with this one you will have a great ryding experience...
    That was back in the USA, here , its 83 million people on a lot the size of Montana. Hence, strategic thinking.
    Autobahn? NOOOOOOOO! but, once rush hour is over, there are tons of twisties to choose from. Trust me more fun from my home in Heidelberg near Frankfurt to the alpes via the twisties. thanks for the input
    on my new way of life. still not sure if I can manage the third wheel. Dancing thru the turns is coming to an end.
    regards, Peter

Spyder Garage

Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I bought the first 2008 RS that was sold in Alaska. I put 23,500 miles on it before trading off on the new RT (at the time).

A great and I had no issues with it.
    for the input. regards from Germany, Peter

Spyder Garage

Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by YPILOT View Post
    My 2008 has a little over 74,000 now and runs great. Like Coz I've had very little trouble and a lot of fun! If that's a good price for your area you cannot go wrong. One of the most important thing is a good dealer. Be sure to have it hooked up to BUDS for updates to keep it running smoothly. The after market has a lot of items to improve it to your style. Go for it. [emoji106]
    for the post. The emphesis is on IN NORTH AMERIKA. Here, the aftermarket is rather thin. and for a wrencher like me this is a bit boring. but I am still getting back home to NY off and on, so I have to make a shopping list. and thanks for the input on the 08.

regards from Germany, Peter

Spyder Garage

Default Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I also had a 1989 Honda GB 500 TT. It was one of the most fun bikes that I ever owned!

are you not sorry now? the gb is highly collectible. mine is showroom condition, gets to see only sun and dry roads... once a month, just to get that thumper feel'n....
    same with the Kawa H2, 3 years of rebuilding. She will be sold next week, to clear some funds for the spyder. we do lots of classics racing here , how does the song go? MY FRIENDS ALL RIDE MANX'S, WHY DONT YOU BUY ME A VELOCETTE VENOM FOR ME?

Spyder Garage

Default it has so nothing to do

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post

And BTW,

with buying a trike, but was the post from you yesterday with the dancing dog? now I am trying to find it in the forum, unsuccesfully. where did you hide it? regards,Peter