Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Difference between 2013 and 2015 RSS?

Hi!

I came across a 2013 RSS model for 15,000$CAD and was wondering if it was a good deal (1500KM)

There is also a 2014 RSS model for $18,500$CAD

or the regular 2015 RSS for $23,000$cad

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In 2014, BRP added some side scoops to the bodywork. This was done to improve the airflow up underneath all of that plastic.
    I think that there have also been some recalibrations of the VSS systems...
    If the bike has had the new scoops retrofitted onto it; it seems like a pretty good deal.... But I'm not familiar with the pricing of the bikes in Canada.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can only speak for the 14 RS-S. At 4,000 miles I am very happy. I have ridden on a 92 degree day and heat was not a problem compared to the last 3 Goldwings. With the 14 you would not need the phantom 2013 updates. 14 and 15 only paint changes. Good luck.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default A budget thing...

It's more of what you are comfortable paying. All good but as usual newer is better , most of the time...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I have a 13 rs. Besides for a little heat on your feet love it

Spyder Garage

Very little other than the body panels that others have mentioned. Those can be fitted retrospectively to the 2013's anyway - Someone on here mentioned they were around US$250-300 a while back but I've not confirmed that.

The 2013 RT's and ST's have had issues with heat this has affected the image of the 2013's in general event though these problems didn't really affect RS's. There was a problem with the engine mapping but that was sorted mid 2013 as a recall - If you bought the 2013 just make sure the latest updates have been done to the computer (called BUDs), a dealer will be able to confirm that.

The 2013 is likely to be out of the standard warranty. If the 2014 is being sold by a dealer and hasn't been registered before then it possible it will come with a 2 year warranty, otherwise there will 6 to 18 months left. Not sure from your post if it's second-hand with some km's on it or just been sitting in the dealers.

Compared to the other the 2013 sounds like a good deal and you could replace the panels if you were worried and still be ahead of the game. The only problem you may find later is because of the reputation of 2013's I've mentioned then the resale value may also be lower. If the 2014 had km's on it I'd probably go for the 2013. Between the 2014 and 2015 I'd probably go with the 2014 because that's a big price difference.

Having said that it's very hard to judge from a NZ point of view because we don't really have age based depreciation. There's 2011 RS's on TradeMe (our version of eBay) which are the same price as mine was new. Prices here are mainly based on condition and km's rather than year.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the info guys,

seems like I will be pulling the trigger on a 2013 RSS then! It seems like a great deal

Now a quick question, exhaust.... anyone deal with two brothers?

Dealer can get me a good deal with Two Brothers exhaust, I always wanted the Akrapovic exhaust but the dealer told me I would be disappointed in it as it is not that much louder from stock.

Spyder Garage

A vote for HMF here. It is loud though, having ridden next to one with the 2 bro's exhaust, I think they are similar volume, but the HMF is lower tone, and booms more.
    Akropovic sounds weak to me.

Spyder Garage

Have the HMF on my 13 rs. Nice sound. Not to loud still have the cat on.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JMK420 View Post
    Thanks for all the info guys,

seems like I will be pulling the trigger on a 2013 RSS then! It seems like a great deal

Now a quick question, exhaust.... anyone deal with two brothers?

Dealer can get me a good deal with Two Brothers exhaust, I always wanted the Akrapovic exhaust but the dealer told me I would be disappointed in it as it is not that much louder from stock.

Have a GS/RS with dual Two Brothers exhaust. The singles aren't as boisterous. The loudness, to me, is safety thing. Have a quieter F3 and notice the difference in the way vehicles move around me while riding it. They are more aggressive as far as tailgating on the quieter Spyder. This is in Houston traffic...

If you want to make the the Two Bros not so loud, they have silencer cones you can put in to tone down the decibels. Either way, love the deep rumble of the Two Bros.

Be forewarned, you have to repack the TB pipes now and then. Don't know about the Akrapovic pipes....
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Something to think about is on the 2013 model they made several changes and then again in 2014 they again made changes. It kind of seems that the 2014 model is more similar to the 2015 and maybe the future models than the 2013. I have a 2013 RS SM5 and love it but it does seem to be kind of alone and this may lead to fewer farkles being available or harder to get parts later.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi!

I came across a 2013 RSS model for 15,000$CAD and was wondering if it was a good deal (1500KM)

There is also a 2014 RSS model for $18,500$CAD

or the regular 2015 RSS for $23,000$cad
    later this year they will be some severe discounts from BRP - they are not moving product in 2015 like they anticipated

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    Have a GS/RS with dual Two Brothers exhaust. The singles aren't as boisterous. The loudness, to me, is safety thing. Have a quieter F3 and notice the difference in the way vehicles move around me while riding it. They are more aggressive as far as tailgating on the quieter Spyder. This is in Houston traffic...

If you want to make the the Two Bros not so loud, they have silencer cones you can put in to tone down the decibels. Either way, love the deep rumble of the Two Bros.

Be forewarned, you have to repack the TB pipes now and then. Don't know about the Akrapovic pipes....
    yazz, just put the 1330 performance pipe on my f3 and it sounds pretty raspy. didn't change the stock exhaust, just took off the cat and attached the pipe!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Pulled the trigger today!

Also picked up a two-brothers exhaust

Going to be an awesome summer!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Great, Congratulations! Which year?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That looks like the same TwoBrothers that I just installed on my ST Limited. It sounds great by the way. I also installed the cat bypass.

Congrats on you new ride!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 900Dave; 05-31-2015 at 05:31 PM.

Spyder Garage

Nice choice! The Two Brothers pipe sounds awesome on my 2011 RS, but I run it with the sound diffuser, it's too loud for me otherwise. To make it run perfect and get a power increase I had to add a Power Commander 5. It runs flawless, better than stock.
    2020 CAN-AM Spyder F3-S Special Series (sold)

2022 CAN-AM Ryker Rally 900

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Congrats on your new ryde

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 900Dave View Post
    That looks like the same TwoBrothers that I just installed on my ST Limited. It sounds great by the way. I also installed the cat bypass.

Hey! Where did you get the Cat-bypass? Is it a lot louder? I find the exhaust way too quiet.....

Spyder Garage

and very nice.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How many miles have you piled on it so far??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 900Dave View Post

Do these just slide Straight on the stock header pipes? I see dual two bro mufflers, on you tube, I'm guessing you buy the pipe as well for two mufflers? Anyone know.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hey! Where did you get the Cat-bypass? Is it a lot louder? I find the exhaust way too quiet.....
    Pit Bull Power Sports. They are a sponsor here on SL's I actually now find the two brothers a bit too loud for me during a long ride, I may get the silencer to quiet it down just a little.

Quote Originally Posted by 109spyder View Post
    Do these just slide Straight on the stock header pipes? I see dual two bro mufflers, on you tube, I'm guessing you buy the pipe as well for two mufflers? Anyone know.
    It is a slip on. 2013 to 2015 RS & ST's all take the same pipe from TBR. My kit came with everything needed to mount it. I assume the dual muffler kit is the same. Just an FYI if you have saddle bags there is a clearance issue with the twin pipes. Some one on here has made a minor modification and made them work with the saddle bags. I dont remember there screen name.