Thread: Pointers Please

Spyder Garage

Default Pointers Please

Just picked up my new 2014 spyder rt yesterday and it seems its a different animal than my 2012.I noticed right off it does'nt shift like my other one.am i doing something wrong?Some pointers please and thanks

j

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The new clutch lock-up system DOES seem to change how the bike responds...
    I have noticed that when mine is cold; it seems to take a bit longer for things to engage, and the bike to move...
    As far as shifting... This isn't the twin, so it doesn't need nearly as many rpms, to be kept happy. Try upshifting at about 3,000 rpm for starters, and let the bike handle the downshifting chores on it's own. They have REALLY improved the programming for that!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You asked if you are doing something wrong, but don't tell us what you are experiencing. Why do you think something is wrong? What is happening?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's no doubt; they DO feel different from one another. I was hoping that my explanation might be enough...

Spyder Garage

Default pointers

The shifting just did'nt feel as smooth as the 2012 it almost feels like it slipping between first and second and the down shifting feelsmlike its not as quick. I only rode 43 miles home so i'll ride it today and play with it

Spyder Garage

The advice above is right on.

Performance in comparing the two cylinder to the three cylinder engine is night and day.

Quieter, more torque, smoother shifting--all on the 1330 ACE.

The suggestion to make your shifts at 3000 rpm or so on the upshifts is exactly what I am doing. You will find that sweet spot on yours where the shift will be seemless and quiet. The programmers have figured out the downshift so it is also seemless and quiet. A big difference from our two cylinder versions. I no longer manually downshift when driving the 2014.

It will take a few miles to get the differences worked out, but in the long run, I am guessing you will be very pleased. I just cleared 13K on my 2014 yesterday.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Time

Took me about 1,000 miles to get use to the difference. But I sure do love it now. I kick it out of ECO mode as soon as I get on it and that makes a big difference in response as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ma and pa View Post
    Just picked up my new 2014 spyder rt yesterday and it seems its a different animal than my 2012.I noticed right off it does'nt shift like my other one.am i doing something wrong?Some pointers please and thanks

j

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Utah Geezer View Post
    Took me about 1,000 miles to get use to the difference. But I sure do love it now. I kick it out of ECO mode as soon as I get on it and that makes a big difference in response as well.
    Are you saying that your Spyder is in ECO mode by default and you have to turn ECO off every time you get on it? Mine doesn't go into ECO mode unless I turn it on. Are some Spyders set up differently or am I misunderstanding something?

Spyder Garage

The clutch lock up mechanism in the 2014 is hydraulic vice centrifugal in the 2012, is it not? That might easily account for a different shift feel when cold. I agree with Bob about shifting at higher RPM than the ECM set shift points.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

the ride is smoother but shifting from start can be a bit rugged

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The "CLUNK!" into first gear is pretty normal on ALL bikes... The hydraulic lockup system just takes a little bit longer to get warmed up...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yep, that CLUNK going into first or reverse when you first start out is ... impressive.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    Yep, that CLUNK going into first or reverse when you first start out is ... impressive.
    Had that same clunky noise on my honda 450 atv when shifting. Never did get used to it. But it was normal just like the Spyder. Still don't care for it tho

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Even my superbly engineered, finely crafted BMW K1600 GTL had that CLUNK going into first.