Spyder Garage

Question AMSOIL / Oil "Experts"

I have read many posts here and elsewhere on oils and I realize there are many good brands and various opinions on oil. I think we all could agree basically on two things; 1. We want to use a oil that performs well in our Spyders and causes no harm. 2. That we would attempt to use an oil within CanAm's specifications as they engineered our ride and we want to not void our warranty.

I have a 2014 ST-Limited SE5, V-twin 998 with auto transmission

That being said, I am choosing AMSOIL as I have used it in the past. It appears many here are using 10-40 even though the manual says 5-40. I just sold my M109R Boulevard and have 3 gallons of Amsoil 10-40 I used in it...it appears I can use the same in my Spyder.

So 2 things to confirm with you experts....and I do consider you as such ! :

1. I have; Amsoil Full synthetic Motorcycle Oil 10-40 High Performance Engine & transmission Lubricant. No friction modifiers, outstanding wet clutch performance. API Service SG, SL/CF/CG-4 JASO MA/MA2-ISO-L-EMA2. It does say; not recommended where an API GL-4 or GL-5 gear oil is required. So would you use this oil in the Spyder ?????

2. So...this oil has been stored in a warm garage for 4 years. It is new and sealed. (health issues stopped me from riding...now back in the saddle on 3 !) Some believe it does not just break down in storage. Do you think it is OK....so...would you use it ??? Hate to throw away some good expensive oil !

So I would appreciate your opinions.

Thank you very much !
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

Default Try this..!!

If Ron (BajaRon) dosen't answer you here pm him. He is the resident expert and sells amsoil and filters for our creatures...I use the XPS semi kits I get online with all you need for the service...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

More Amsoil info; I checked with my original dealer he is looking into some newer products for Motorcycles, but he did say;

1. Oil new and un-opened, stored well....good for 5 years.
    2. My 10-40 Amsoil is a MCF coded product. He said not to use it if the Spyder has a catayltic converter...a quick google search appears that the Spyder does have a CC so the Amsoil I have is not to be used.

I will certainly respect BajaRon's advice as well !
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

The specs for the Amsoil you have are exactly the same as the Amsoil I buy from Bajaron for my '08 GS Spyder.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

MCF is a motorcycle rating. Quite a few of us use Amsoil in our Spyders. I haven't heard of any damage to the CAT. The only motorcycle that I know of the restricts use of Amsoil is pre 2013 Indian. Amsoil has a new formula for newer Indians.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Cool

I have been doing some research and viewing lab and consumer tests. Amsoil basically comes out on top #1 ! for 10W-40 motorcycle oils.

Apparently the Amsoil does have a higher content of Zinc and Phosphorus which can negatively effect catalytic converters.... and I guess we have a CC on the Spyder.

So it will be interesting to have some chime in including Ron. At this point I feel comfortable using the Amsoil 10-40.................time to Any opinions on the catalytic converter effects.... ?
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

Nice thread WEB-WVR
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Short answer, you're good to go. The 5w-40 BRP speck is not a problem. It is the upper number that you need to be most concerned about. The lower number (especially for a true, full synthetic) is not nearly as critical as with a Blended oil. If you are parking your Spyder in sub-zero temps overnight and then starting it in the morning, then yes, go with the 5w-40. But if you're not, the 10w-40 is actually a better oil for your Spyder.

The larger the spread between the lower and upper number, the less stable the lubricant is.

Amsoil will not damage your CC. Spyders have been running Amsoil since the beginning. And Spyders have had CC's since the beginning. It's not an issue.

There are other good oil choices out there. But I believe that Amsoil is one of the better lubricants for your Spyder. If you would like a price quote I just need your zip code.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-26-2015 at 11:10 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default AMSOIL

Used it for the past 5 years on Spyders. Best there is. Have been using it on all my motorcycles exclusively since 2006. Have torn down some of those motors; the wear is fantastic: AMSOIL works! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Can't add anything to the above, except if Ron says it is good then it is! Plus you can't go wrong with Amsoil! Just got my filters and oil from him, excellent service!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WEB-WVR View Post
    2. My 10-40 Amsoil is a MCF coded product. He said not to use it if the Spyder has a catayltic converter...
    I think your dealer needs an info update. EPA has been requiring catalytic converters on bikes for awhile now.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
    I think your dealer needs an info update. EPA has been requiring catalytic converters on bikes for awhile now.
    Then why don't Harleys have to have them?
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    Then why don't Harleys have to have them?
    They do. Started in CA (Being the state that always does it wrong first) a long time ago and moved to all 50 states in 2009. Just Google 'Harley Catalytic Converter Removal' and you'll get a few thousand threads on the subject.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thank you everyone for the advice. I am sold and will use the Amsoil I have. Will get the kits and future oil from Ron.

RON: My zip is 97321 if you want to send quotes on the oil change kit (I assume that is washers, seals, both filters...everything needed except the oil) and the 10-40 Amsoil...great !

Kit : ________ Oil : ____________

I have the 998 V-twin 2014 ST - Limited SE5 Automatic model.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Craig From Albany Oregon