Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tires

Spyder Garage

Default Tires

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    I have over 10,000 miles with a 215/60/15 and have had NO problems.
    Hey Mike,

I can tell you one thing, the dealer as accepted to install the tire, with great reluctance.

Even going as far as having me sign a paper stating that the garage will not be responsible for any damage caused by the, other than recommended OEM tire installation.

Dom

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rays hell View Post
    I disagree Mike. Discount Tire calculator says that tire is 1.3 inches larger in diameter and at 65mph you actually be traveling 68.4 mph.
    What is the speedometer error you mention.
    Any time I pass a Your Actual Speed portable trailer mine has always been right on.
    My system show they are ~ 23.9" both sizes so they are a good match for rolling circumference but i don't like
    making the rear tire thinner and i am not a fan of stretched tires on cars and more negative of doing them
    on m/c.
    when doing a stretch tire it is easier to pop a bead and go flat and easier to damage the wheel but on the plus
    side it keeps my shop busy $$$.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear replacement Tire

Just had a Kumho 225/50 R15 mounted on my Rt looking forward many happy miles on it.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TIRE BS AND OTHER NONSENSE

Quote Originally Posted by poordom View Post
    Hey Mike,

I can tell you one thing, the dealer as accepted to install the tire, with great reluctance.

Even going as far as having me sign a paper stating that the garage will not be responsible for any damage caused by the, other than recommended OEM tire installation.

Dom
    Dom this is called CYA, they have to do this..........and there are people here who will tell you putting car tires on the OEM rim doesn't work for many many reasons, and they are all good reasons, I suppose ..............But in real life the problems have not occurred to anyone on Spyderlovers that I have ever heard about , and I have been using them for over 5 years now........Well not EXACTLY...there was a problem with the " V " rubber ( arachnids ) slipping on the rim...Oh wait those were Motorcycle Tires, ( modeled after the Kenda's ).......OH MY !!!!!!!...... .....Give me a Quality Michelin tire over a KENDA that only lasts 6000 miles anyday .....just sayin................ Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    My system show they are ~ 23.9" both sizes so they are a good match for rolling circumference but i don't like
    making the rear tire thinner and i am not a fan of stretched tires on cars and more negative of doing them
    on m/c.
    when doing a stretch tire it is easier to pop a bead and go flat and easier to damage the wheel but on the plus
    From your post I take it you own a tire shop so I give you a lot of credibility,so what size should we use and is there any problems using car tires?

Thanks for your professional help.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

on m/c.
    Never heard of this, what is a stretch tire?
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't know what brand to recommend but i do want to stick with factory size when i have to change my tires

Spyder Garage

Default 215/60-15

Have to say I started this my wifes 2010, after the factory wore out, just traded hers in on a 2014, it had 73,000mi.and almost all with 215/60-15 rear, couple dif. Brands yes corrects speedo. And NO issues ever, will go on her 2014 as soon as factory wears out

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...Which might take less than 6,000 miles.
    Mine is at 5455 miles, and it's just about shot...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default wear

Havebeen running my wifes 2010 at 17psi for 5yrs. Average 25000mi. Per tire left dealership with 2014 stopped for gas and lowered the ridiculous 35psi.they had put in ,she only rides solo have had great wear at reduced psi. If two up I would run 21-22psi. No more , twoup gets more miles than she does solo less scuffing of tire
    Last edited by syclemom; 04-16-2015 at 05:49 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default TIRE

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Dom this is called CYA, they have to do this..........and there are people here who will tell you putting car tires on the OEM rim doesn't work for many many reasons, and they are all good reasons, I suppose ..............But in real life the problems have not occurred to anyone on Spyderlovers that I have ever heard about , and I have been using them for over 5 years now........Well not EXACTLY...there was a problem with the " V " rubber ( arachnids ) slipping on the rim...Oh wait those were Motorcycle Tires, ( modeled after the Kenda's ).......OH MY !!!!!!!...... .....Give me a Quality Michelin tire over a KENDA that only lasts 6000 miles anyday .....just sayin................ Mike

Well, I did it, I installed the 215/60/15, since I used to use Pirelli's on my Triumph TR6, I decided to go with the same brand.

I tell you, this tire sticks like glue, took her out for a spin yesterday, it performed incredibly.

From what I can see, there as been no change with the computer, so all's well.

Thanks guys for your assistance and input.

Dom

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, I did it, I installed the 215/60/15, since I used to use Pirelli's on my Triumph TR6, I decided to go with the same brand.

I tell you, this tire sticks like glue, took her out for a spin yesterday, it performed incredibly.

Dom
    Which Pirelli Dom?

Spyder Garage

Dom

Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Dom

Good for you!
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I don't know what brand to recommend but i do want to stick with factory size when i have to change my tires

Trouble is, the size number on the tire DOES NOT actually correspond to physical dimensions. They are a nominal size. So given dimensional differences between brands and tire lines, a different size number on a different brand may actually be a better choice.

I can highly recommend the Yokohama S-Drive 205/55-ZR15 as an EXACT same diameter, better traction and better handling tire than the OEM Kenda. They are also made in the USA and of very high quality and speed rated.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default TIRES

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Which Pirelli Dom?

I chose the P4.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Trouble is, the size number on the tire DOES NOT actually correspond to physical dimensions. They are a nominal size. So given dimensional differences between brands and tire lines, a different size number on a different brand may actually be a better choice.

I can highly recommend the Yokohama S-Drive 205/55-ZR15 as an EXACT same diameter, better traction and better handling tire than the OEM Kenda. They are also made in the USA and of very high quality and speed rated.

I see they state not to run them in temps below 32 deg..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Tire size

I would think sizing up from a 205 to a 215 would make an already tall first gear only worse (speaking about a 2011 RT) - ??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    I see they state not to run them in temps below 32 deg..

ALL tires loose traction as the tread temp drops. The softer the compound the more the temp causes them to harden. Id wager the Yokohama still has better traction at 20deg F than the Kenda does, which also gets very hard.

The thing is, in this Spyder application, the Yokohama is VERY under stressed both in weight and traction. Also the Sypder's traction control will kick in if there ever were a problem. As I don't ride all that often in sub freezing weather other than when we are in Crested Butte, Still believe the Yoko is the top choice.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WHAAAAAAT

Quote Originally Posted by garybryant View Post
    I would think sizing up from a 205 to a 215 would make an already tall first gear only worse (speaking about a 2011 RT) - ??
    Gary the width of the tire increases it's circumference only a very, very small amount.......Remember the OEM tire is a 225...........just sayin....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by garybryant View Post
    It all depends on the profile of the tire that you mount...
    If you decide to run a wider tire; just make sure that it's a bit lower profile.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black