Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default radio and speaker recommendations

I am trying to find speakers and ways to connect ipod for my 2013 ST-S.. Any suggestions?? I don't want to buy factory radio and speakers

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SPEAKERS

Good News ...Custom STS just up-graded to 5 1/4 inch speakers..................so this is doable ......I personally have used the JBL-GTO 528's in my RT and they really ROCK.....quite an increase in volume while maintaining clear crisp sound ....and this was with the OEM radio........Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you can spring for a small amp, you can get an adapter that comes off the Ipod head phone output that will go into the RCA inputs on the amp. With out the amp the sound can lack volumn since the Ipod supplies very little output wattage. Going into the amp this way you can run much higher power speakers and get some excellent sound quality and volumn. Even a small Amp that puts out 25 watts watts RMS will will make the speakers come to life. Depending on how many speakers, that would equal a 100 watt for 4 speakers and a 50 watt for 2.

Make sure the speakers are rated for the RMS watts the radio puts out. I just tried this configuration as a test with my 300 watt Rockford Fosgate amp, with that set up the volumn and quality was incredable.
    Last edited by bluestratos; 04-08-2015 at 06:51 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    If you can spring for a small amp, you can get an adapter that comes off the Ipod head phone output that will go into the RCA inputs on the amp. With out the amp the sound can lack volumn since the Ipod supplies very little output wattage. Going into the amp this way you can run much higher power speakers and get some excellent sound quality and volumn. Even a small Amp that puts out 25 watts watts RMS will will make the speakers come to life. Depending on how many speakers, that would equal a 100 watt for 4 speakers and a 50 watt for 2.

Make sure the speakers are rated for the RMS watts the radio puts out. I just tried this configuration as a test with my 300 watt Rockford Fosgate amp, with that set up the volumn and quality was incredable.
    My understanding is that I-Pod's and MP-3's are similar ....in that their output WATTAGE has almost nothing to do with what the Radio/ Amp does with the signal sent from either......My MP-3 plays thru the stock radio in my 2014 RT ( with 4 JBL 2 OHM speakers ) and it can play at a level that is actually too loud to enjoy...............Total cost $ 100..............I'm not Knocking what you have done or achieved , but I also believe people should know there is a much less expensive option to achieve the same goal.................Anyone going to SPYDERFEST is more than welcome to visit with me and bring their I-Pod or MP-3 player with their favorite music and see what it can sound like for about $100......................I'll be at the Best Western Coach Hse .......Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes the two MP3 players have the same output power. I must have missed something, I understood you were not using the radio, just the Ipod/MP3 player directly to the speakers, my bad. When you go throught the radio you are using its amp to provide power to the speakers.

That being said I just re read the orgional post and he does not want to buy the factory radio and speakers so I may have understood the question correctly or am I still missing something?

Spyder Garage

Default ???????

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    Yes the two MP3 players have the same output power. I must have missed something, I understood you were not using the radio, just the Ipod/MP3 player directly to the speakers, my bad. When you go throught the radio you are using its amp to provide power to the speakers.

That being said I just re read the orgional post and he does not want to buy the factory radio and speakers so I may have understood the question correctly or am I still missing something?
    ...If your first paragraph ( above ) is directed to me, I only use an MP-3 and it goes thru the OEM radio via the OEM jack........................................... In your second paragraph I understand He doesn't want to purchase the BRP set-up......However He could go the same route " COZ " did with an auto type stereo and aftermarket speakers.......He could get a Marine Stereo which often has a " WIRED REMOTE "....( my "Dual" brand has one ).....just some thoughts about other options.........Mike

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You could go to a bluetooth system. I use my phone as an ipod and stream music to my helmet.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, adding a radio into the mix would work well, either the amp or the radio with a decent output power will acheve what he wants. Sorry my first paragraph was to you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ...If your first paragraph ( above ) is directed to me, I only use an MP-3 and it goes thru the OEM radio via the OEM jack........................................... In your second paragraph I understand He doesn't want to purchase the BRP set-up......However He could go the same route " COZ " did with an auto type stereo and aftermarket speakers.......He could get a Marine Stereo which often has a " WIRED REMOTE "....( my "Dual" brand has one ).....just some thoughts about other options.........Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am trying not to buy a factory radio and just trying to install speakers and a MP3(iPod) only.. I do not want to use Bluetooth piece for helmet plus I ride with a half helmet.. My husband and I have been looking at all the options for my bike but just aren't sure what all the options are.. the dealer said it would cost over 3000 to install radio system... Also if you don't install a factory radio can you still use the hand controls to adjust volume and change songs...

Spyder Garage

Default WELL

Quote Originally Posted by afoley View Post
    I am trying not to buy a factory radio and just trying to install speakers and a MP3(iPod) only.. I do not want to use Bluetooth piece for helmet plus I ride with a half helmet.. My husband and I have been looking at all the options for my bike but just aren't sure what all the options are.. the dealer said it would cost over 3000 to install radio system... Also if you don't install a factory radio can you still use the hand controls to adjust volume and change songs...
    I guess you didn't read post # 6...................Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, lol.. this is getting silly now lol. I was responding to post #1 and #6. If they just want to use an Ipod they need an amp, if they use a radio in the mix they can use it to drive the sound. Thanks for your advice,

Randy

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Great option for IPod Mount!

Quote Originally Posted by afoley View Post
    I am trying to find speakers and ways to connect ipod for my 2013 ST-S.. Any suggestions?? I don't want to buy factory radio and speakers
    http://www.leadermotorcycle.com/moto...?sort=priceasc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think the cheapest way would be to do something like this:http://www.sharkmotorcycleaudio.com/audio-system/
    you might be able to use the factory location for speakers instead of the external ones in the kits

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe you could get a ram mount for a portable Bluetooth speaker like one of these:http://gearpatrol.com/2014/08/21/bes...speakers-2014/

Spyder Garage

Default SHARK

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    I think the cheapest way would be to do something like this:http://www.sharkmotorcycleaudio.com/audio-system/
    you might be able to use the factory location for speakers instead of the external ones in the kits
    Shark works .....I had one for my GS......600 Watt..........Make sure you get one with a " WIRED " remote .....they also have Marine models....Mike