Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Adjusted Drive Belt now Brake Chatter

Today I adjusted the right rear wheel to move the drive belt away 2mm from the inner flange per the service manual. Adjustment spec is 1mm - 5mm (seems like a wide range) so I decided on 2mm, slightly closer to the right hand flange (the belt had been riding against the flange). All is well with the belt alignment but now I have rear brake squeal/chatter when applying the brakes. I can only assume this noise will stop as the disc brake wears in to the correct alignment with the rotor or am I missing something?

HELP..the rear brake is really loud..chattering / squealing etc etc, even feel vibration thru the bike. Will it wear flat again (and soon)? I eliminated the parking brake and backed off the adjustment so it is not involved, the bike coast freely.
    Last edited by elkk; 04-03-2015 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Added HELP!!

Spyder Garage

Most belts seem to ride up against the flange right from the factory despite BRP's spec's of 1-5mm, which is anywhere from just off the flange to near the outside edge of the rear sprocket.
    Chances are the tire and rim have been adjusted clockwise slightly to get the gap to open, meaning the front of the tire has moved to the right and the rear to the left.
    If this happened the rotor may be scrubbing on the front of the outside pad and the rear on the inside pad as the caliper is fixed straight on the swingarm.
    Also check the front sprocket with a flashlight to see if the belt has moved inwards, most will track near the outside flange.
    Look for a shiny spot on the teeth next to the outside flange. The early spyders didn't have a flange on the inside of the front sprocket and some have gone as far as rubbing on the engine.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by capt.jim View Post
    Most belts seem to ride up against the flange right from the factory despite BRP's spec's of 1-5mm, which is anywhere from just off the flange to near the outside edge of the rear sprocket.
    Chances are the tire and rim have been adjusted clockwise slightly to get the gap to open, meaning the front of the tire has moved to the right and the rear to the left.
    If this happened the rotor may be scrubbing on the front of the outside pad and the rear on the inside pad as the caliper is fixed straight on the swingarm.
    Also check the front sprocket with a flashlight to see if the belt has moved inwards, most will track near the outside flange.
    Look for a shiny spot on the teeth next to the outside flange. The early spyders didn't have a flange on the inside of the front sprocket and some have gone as far as rubbing on the engine.
    Thanks, I understand what you said and I believe that is exactly correct, making the brake chatter. I checked the front sprocket and the belt is still ridding on the outside flange, no where near hitting the motor. As you mentioned, there is no inner flange on the front sprocket of my 2008 RS.

So do you think the brake disc will wear-in and stop the chatter noises?
    Last edited by elkk; 03-31-2015 at 08:28 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Order Rear Brake Pad Kit

As mentioned earlier, all this started with a simple drive belt alignment.

Tonight I took a hard look at the rear brake pads and caliper, disassembled everything and cleaned it all up with brake cleaner. Still convinced the belt alignment and tension is correct (tension might be a bit tight) so I decided to replace the original 5000 mile brake pads with new Gen 3 pads. Dealer had to order the kit ($34.99) so I am down for a couple of days. I am hoping the new kit eliminates my chattering / groaning noises. Will keep you informed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Curious..!!

when adjusting the belt...did you run the wheel in both directions..?? Belt should not walk away when rotated backwards. If so your alignment is off and can be causing the chattering. At 5,000 mile your brakes should still be good (mine have 26,000 miles) and new one may not make a difference or make it worse. Hope it does help and make sure you follow the brake in proceedure for best results on the new brakes...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    when adjusting the belt...did you run the wheel in both directions..?? Belt should not walk away when rotated backwards. If so your alignment is off and can be causing the chattering. At 5,000 mile your brakes should still be good (mine have 26,000 miles) and new one may not make a difference or make it worse. Hope it does help and make sure you follow the brake in proceedure for best results on the new brakes...
    I did not run the wheel in both directions. I have read it is somewhat normal for the belt to walk in either direction when in reverse. The service manual does not mention running it in both directions while making the adjustment. Thanks for the tip on the 'brake in procedure' for the brakes, I'll have to like in to that.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Gen 3 Rear Brake Pad Kit Installed

Once again I double checked the belt alignment and installed the new Gen 3 Rear Brake Kit today...all is well. The kit contained 2 new pads, 2 new brake pad pins w loctite, 2 new spring clips for pad pins and 1 new parking brake lever nylon locking nut. Install was easy, followed the service manual to the letter. The parking brake now operates perfectly and the bike coasts further and smoother than it has in the month I have owned it. I have only ridden a few stop and go miles but the overall feel is much more free, no drag at all and absolutely no squeal / chattering. Also no noise what so ever when rolling forward or backward around the garage. Now hopefully it stays that way for a long long time.

I'm glad I did this (DIY) as I now have a clear understanding or the rear brake assembly. I'm convinced the brake has been dragging for some time, even before I owned it. Good to have a feeling of accomplishment and a quiet Spyder.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If your rear wheel is not aligned correctly, the rotor is not aligned with the calibers and can make brake noises and other sounds when braking. If your in the north east Georgia area send me a PM and I could take look at it.

Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGA View Post
    If your rear wheel is not aligned correctly, the rotor is not aligned with the calibers and can make brake noises and other sounds when braking. If your in the north east Georgia area send me a PM and I could take look at it.

Mike
    Thanks for the offer Mike, I am in St. Louis. I don't think I have ever been to Georgia in all my 67 years.