Spyder Garage

Default Should I or expect to?

Im Taking my 2008GS In Monday too get the rear tire replaced. My trike has 18,000Km/11,000 miles on it and Im curious if the stealership is gona suggest replace the drive belt. I realize it is what it is and if needs replacing must be done. I realize My question depends on lots but with those miles on it should I replace it anyway? They are not cheap thats for sure think he said $360 or something. Even the tire it self I know can be had cheaper than the $200 he said yeaterday. If I knew of place in city that would also do this I would check them out but may spend more time screwing around in the end. Have trouble with stealer ships cause 10,000 km ago buddy there suggested rear tire replacement. Im thinking if theres nothing bad that damaged the belt how many miles can one expect ? Im sure theres members with waaaay more than this on one? D

Spyder Garage

Only replace if it has been damaged. There is no scheduled replacement period.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CANUCK SPYDER View Post
    Im Taking my 2008GS In Monday too get the rear tire replaced. My trike has 18,000Km/11,000 miles on it and Im curious if the stealership is gona suggest replace the drive belt. I realize it is what it is and if needs replacing must be done. I realize My question depends on lots but with those miles on it should I replace it anyway? They are not cheap thats for sure think he said $360 or something. Even the tire it self I know can be had cheaper than the $200 he said yeaterday. If I knew of place in city that would also do this I would check them out but may spend more time screwing around in the end. Have trouble with stealer ships cause 10,000 km ago buddy there suggested rear tire replacement. Im thinking if theres nothing bad that damaged the belt how many miles can one expect ? Im sure theres members with waaaay more than this on one? D

28,000 miles (45,062 km) on mine and still looks good. If it ain't broke no need to fix it.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Only replace if it has been damaged. There is no scheduled replacement period.
    Thanks I kinda figured that, unless they get damaged sure they last long time. My bud on his bike sure he said never changed his and has 5 times the miles on it. But im sure they will tell me different come monday D

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have 65,000 and just replaced rear tire. The dealer said belt is still fine. 2010 RT.
    Good luck

Dan

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Hope not...

I have not seen a belt replaced unless damage. The manual has some pic's showing the wear patterens but if you keep your belt adjusted properly it will last a long time. I have 25 but ryde with some with 80,000 miles without a belt change. Nice looking ryde by the way...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I have not seen a belt replaced unless damage. The manual has some pic's showing the wear patterens but if you keep your belt adjusted properly it will last a long time. I have 25 but ryde with some with 80,000 miles without a belt change. Nice looking ryde by the way...
    Thanks I will certainlly let them know what have been told and read. Just remember them telling me "rear tire" that was year and a half ago just could'nt see that then but now yeah can see its showing wear and getting down there D

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I had 36,000km on my 2010 RT S with the same belt.
    One thing to watch for is that the dealership re installs the drive belt correctly. The drive belt should be tensioned to BRP specs and also the drive belt should not squeel and should track properly on the drive pulley.

I had the rear tire changed and the new tech at dealership did not reinstall belt properly. I knew right away as the belt squeeled and also the belt did not track in the drive pulley properly.
    The total cost to have tire replaced was $200.00 at the dealership.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    I had 36,000km on my 2010 RT S with the same belt.
    One thing to watch for is that the dealership re installs the drive belt correctly. The drive belt should be tensioned to BRP specs and also the drive belt should not squeel and should track properly on the drive pulley.

I had the rear tire changed and the new tech at dealership did not reinstall belt properly. I knew right away as the belt squeeled and also the belt did not track in the drive pulley properly.
    The total cost to have tire replaced was $200.00 at the dealership.
    Thanks I will watch for that D

Spyder Garage

I would also recommend no replacement of the drive belt unless it is showing signs of wear like rock pits or cracks. They are supposed to last beyond 50,000 miles under normal use.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

If the dealer tells you it needs a new belt as regular maintenance, I'd seriously look for another dealer. Who knows what else they might tell you on other things that you might not know the right answer to going in...
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

As it says in the handbook...So if they saying else there's the answer.

My belt looks like the third picture down after a stone stuck in my rear sprocket - so I'm still using it but checking it regularly for further damage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Well they didn't nail me on the drive belt, but rear pads were at 20% they said and rear wheel bearing was suggested, In the end was more $ then expected but was fixed up quick D

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WOW

.....From what you've said told us so far ......I'm surprised they didn't tell you......." YOU NEED TO REPLACE THE ENTIRE SPYDER BECAUSE IT'S 6 YEARS OLD " ... ........Just Sayin......Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .....From what you've said told us so far ......I'm surprised they didn't tell you......." YOU NEED TO REPLACE THE ENTIRE SPYDER BECAUSE IT'S 6 YEARS OLD " ... ........Just Sayin......Mike
    True but would have argued that one, tire was very close too time pads and bearing was depending on their honesty. Stealer ships and the government never lie