Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Another driver backrest option

As many of you know, BRP thinks a lot of their products (too much considering the price). I have been wanting a backrest every since I purchased my spyder. I sat on one in the showroom with the BRP backrest, and it was great. But at $449, I couldn't see it. I have heard a lot about the Utopia backrest, and it looks like a quality product also. Most of those seem to run around $280 (not bad). Well while on ebay, I came across the Smart Mount Backrest by Show Chrome Accessories. They run around $180 (that's even better). Well, I wanted to give it a try, but didn't have any reviews. About a week ago, I came across one for $100. At that price, I had to try. It arrived yesterday, and I mounted it. It mounts very much like the utopia. As with the utopia, I was a little worried about cutting the seat, but after mounting the backrest, I am very happy. I haven't had a chance to give it a road test, but I should be able to do so in a couple of days when the temps hit 60. I will report back.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Good to know..!!

thanks for the info and looking forward to the review...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A few pictures would be great.I am looking for a backrest for my RT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Here is a picture. Weather should be nice thursday through saturday, so I am sure I will get a chance to test it out friday or saturday. There is also a nice pouch for storage that attaches to the rear of the backrest. It is secured with 3 nice snaps. Forgive the junky shop, waiting on spring for a good cleaning.
    I just wanted to mention that I have the comfort seat (2" additional leg room for the driver). It would probably be a tight fit for a passenger with the driver backrest in place, but it is easily removable. My wife doesn't ride, but I will be trying to change that over the next 4-5 months. I kind of like leaning back on her rather than a back rest anyway.
    Last edited by blacklightning; 12-23-2014 at 01:03 PM. Reason: additional information added

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Looking pretty darn nice!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Shop Status

Some people have "Show Shops" others have shops where they "Get er Done", I prefer the later. Nice job on the seat.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Here is a picture. Weather should be nice thursday through saturday, so I am sure I will get a chance to test it out friday or saturday. There is also a nice pouch for storage that attaches to the rear of the backrest. It is secured with 3 nice snaps. Forgive the junky shop, waiting on spring for a good cleaning.
    I just wanted to mention that I have the comfort seat (2" additional leg room for the driver). It would probably be a tight fit for a passenger with the driver backrest in place, but it is easily removable. My wife doesn't ride, but I will be trying to change that over the next 4-5 months. I kind of like leaning back on her rather than a back rest anyway.
    Looking good. If you think that your shop looks bad, mine would probably give you nightmares.

CJ JAX

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You found a REALLY great bargain!

http://www.amazon.com/Show-Chrome-Ac.../dp/B00CBIYZY6
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 12-23-2014 at 01:26 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on a good bargain!

I really like having a backrest when traveling. A feature of my Ultimate seat backrest is it will fold down to make it easier to mount/dismount from the Spyder. That looks like it may do that, but does it?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    on a good bargain!

I really like having a backrest when traveling. A feature of my Ultimate seat backrest is it will fold down to make it easier to mount/dismount from the Spyder. That looks like it may do that, but does it?
    Yes, it does fold down. I had it pretty easy on the installation since the guy that I bought the comfort seat from had a utopia back rest installed, and left the main bracket in the seat. He had allready cut the seat, and drilled the necessary holes. I was hoping it was the same piece within the seat, but it wasn't. All I needed to do was remove the seat, and take out his holding bracket. Then I in stalled mine in the same hole. Everything lined right up. The one I bought was used. It was purchased, but never installed. I picked it up on ebay. But the price listed in the link seems well worth it. I will let you know either friday or saturday.

Spyder Garage

A very good alternative to the OEM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

D,
    Have you had a Utopia, with the easy-out option?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    D,
    Purchased the Utopia, sight unseen for my new 2014. A couple month's before the 2014 arrived. Install took less than 15 minutes. Pull the plug on the OEM seat, shave the foam insert, screw the mounting plate under the seat into the pre-drilled holes, snap in the Utopia back rest and Voila! Cost $250 ish. Like the other, matches the OEM upholstery.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Purchased the Utopia, sight unseen for my new 2014. A couple month's before the 2014 arrived. Install took less than 15 minutes. Pull the plug on the OEM seat, shave the foam insert, screw the mounting plate under the seat into the pre-drilled holes, snap in the Utopia back rest and Voila! Cost $250 ish. Like the other, matches the OEM upholstery.
    That is what I was looking at buying before I came across this one. I still like the Utopia, but at $100, I couldn't resist. The installation is the same.

Spyder Garage

That is what I was looking at buying before I came across this one. I still like the Utopia, but at $100, I couldn't resist. The installation is the same.
    Totally agree. You did very well.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LOOK AT THIS

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    .....AK, I have one also and I think Utopia should have added what I did to the bottom of seat bracket at the rear........3" X 3" X 1/2 " thick piece of blu or pink construc foam...........This relieves the Pressure on the bolts which hold the bracket onto the seat Pan.....Those Bolts go into brass fittings that can TOO easily come out .......When you lean against the backrest the pressure is transferred through the brackets to those rear bolts........The foam prevents the bracket from moving down from the pan...........Yes this may be over-kill but it doesn't hurt anything and may just prevent a problem that No one wants to cover .......I'm pretty sure BRP would give you grief because the seat wasn't OEM................just sayin.........Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .....AK, I have one also and I think Utopia should have added what I did to the bottom of seat bracket at the rear........3" X 3" X 1/2 " thick piece of blu or pink construc foam...........This relieves the Pressure on the bolts which hold the bracket onto the seat Pan.....Those Bolts go into brass fittings that can TOO easily come out .......When you lean against the backrest the pressure is transferred through the brackets to those rear bolts........The foam prevents the bracket from moving down from the pan...........Yes this may be over-kill but it doesn't hurt anything and may just prevent a problem that No one wants to cover .......I'm pretty sure BRP would give you grief because the seat wasn't OEM................just sayin.........Mike
    So far, I have not experienced any issues with loose or loosening attachment bolts or the unseating of the brass inserts. 9,500 miles on the 2014 and the Utopia. Thank you for the information. There are a lot of Utopia users out there.

RE: BRP, they wouldn't dare give me a problem about non OEM backrest.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-23-2014 at 05:36 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike,
    I'll be checking with the Missus... AFTER she opens her presents!
    D,
    I may be discussing these with you some more...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    D,
    Bob.... Are you talking to me???? Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh! I was talking to Akspyderman...
    Sorry for the confusion.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

OK that's interesting and of a concern.
    I also have the comfort seat.
    If you notice on Utopia's web site they sell a different bracket for use with the comfort seat and specifically say you cannot interchange them. If you have the comfort seat you must use the correct bracket for your seat.

http://www.utpr.com/spyderrt.html

I too was looking at the show chrome because of it's price. I specifically asked Show Chrome (through Value Accessory) if it can be used with the comfort seat. They said no.

So, since you mounted it to a comfort seat I hope you do not have any issues......

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    OK that's interesting and of a concern.
    I also have the comfort seat.
    If you notice on Utopia's web site they sell a different bracket for use with the comfort seat and specifically say you cannot interchange them. If you have the comfort seat you must use the correct bracket for your seat.

http://www.utpr.com/spyderrt.html

I too was looking at the show chrome because of it's price. I specifically asked Show Chrome (through Value Accessory) if it can be used with the comfort seat. They said no.

So, since you mounted it to a comfort seat I hope you do not have any issues......

Bob
    Thanks for bringing that to my attention. When I saw your post, I got a little concerned. I just went down stairs and checked, and everything is right where it seems like it should be. It matches the illustration, and there are no clearance issues. It is also rock solid in the forward and backward positions. No movement. I still would like it stated, that there will be very little room for the passenger (well, for one like me at 6'-2", 260 lbs.), but there should be plenty for my wife or daughter if they decide to go for a ride.

Spyder Garage

Default Comfort seat?

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. When I saw your post, I got a little concerned. I just went down stairs and checked, and everything is right where it seems like it should be. It matches the illustration, and there are no clearance issues. It is also rock solid in the forward and backward positions. No movement. I still would like it stated, that there will be very little room for the passenger (well, for one like me at 6'-2", 260 lbs.), but there should be plenty for my wife or daughter if they decide to go for a ride.
    For now I am NOT interested in a back rest but that may change in the near future. I am a newbie & owner of a 2015 RT LTD, & I find myself sitting back where the back rest would mount. I heart that there is a "COMFORT SEAT" that allows you to sit 2" further back. I also here that it comes with heat as an option? My concern is how much room will there be for the passenger. Fortunately GF is not a big woman but I want to make sure that she remains comfortable. If there is room I'll consider a backrest but certainly not for the $487 which I agree is way too much.

Spyder Garage

Default Locking pin

I have the same Smart Mount Backrest on my 2013 RT-S and facilitated its removal for when my wife rides by using a receiver hitch coupler locking pin, I got mine at a big box store. The pin has a 3/16" diameter, its length is adjustable. I cut off the excess and it works quite nicely, sure beats having to grab tools every time I needed to remove the backrest. I also fabricated a cover for the exposed bracket from high density foam and some fabric.

Ride Safe