Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stillriding View Post

Regarding whether our warranties would be voided if a non-BRP hitch was installed, I wonder if it's true. In the 2015 parts and accessories catalog, page 101, it states, "Only SYSTEM on the market that maintains vehicle warranty requirements." Similarly, on page 72 of the 2014 BRP catalog it says, "This is the only hitch SYSTEM that maintains your vehicle's warranty." (emphasis added). If an aftermarket hitch mounts the same as BRP's, wouldn't the warranty requirements be met?
    A couple of thoughts. BRP is going to say that as a marketing point. They do, after all, sell the hitch and harness as a package, or system. AFAIK no after market hitch is sold with a harness. Since they sell it they have no choice but to maintain the warranty on the bike, so that is the case whether they brag about it or not.

From what others have written I understand the BRP hitch has some sort of rubber shock mounts between the bracket that locks around the swing arm and the U part of the hitch. That would help cut down on vibration and shock from the trailer connection being transmitted to the swing arm. Again, AFAIK no after market hitch has such shock absorbers. How much difference that really makes in the real world of riding I don't know, but IMO it wouldn't be much. And what would the consequences be of transmitting a little bit more shock and vibration to the swing arm? Good question, but I don't see from a mechanical engineer viewpoint how it would be very much at all, if any. All of the load on the swing arm is transmitted to the tire by a pretty rigid shaft and bearing configuration.

The only way an after market hitch will impact warranty claims is if somehow BRP can demonstrate that the minor additional shock and vibration that an after market hitch MAY transmit to the swing arm above that of the BRP hitch has caused a part failure that the BRP hitch would not have caused. That would be a pretty long stretch I believe.

Having installed an after market hitch myself, and creating my own wiring harness, I will say if dollars are not a limitation on what one wants to do, go with the BRP hitch. If you're a resourceful DIYer and money is more important than time, then go for an after market hitch and harness, or make your own. The likelihood of a warranty claim denial is very slim, from both the standpoint that I don't see any likely part failures caused by any hitch, and the difficulty in proving the after market differences caused the failure.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

BLUELIGHT911, I will stand by every word I said but I will not stand by words you erroneously attributed to me. I didn't say anything about "THE" warranty. what I said was that certain parts of the warranty could be voided by using certain inappropriate substitute parts to the vehicle. Nobody is going to deny warranty service on the engine, for example, if the wrong hitch is used. You really need to pay attention to what I say before you start interpreting it for others on my behalf.

It will probably come as a complete shock to you but the Magnuson-Moss Act provides for warranty exclusions if the manufacturer can show that the substitute is not adequate for its intended purpose. You can bet your last dollar that BRP has already done their homework on that one. If they hadn't, they wouldn't make the statement so frequently in the sales material and owner's manual. I suggest you read the actual document in its entirety rather than going by what you have heard.

The litigation that I had to provide technical information for concerned the behavior and effectiveness of the anti-lock brake system of a particular new model car. It was easy to show that the computer controlled ABS system could not be expected to perform properly with the substitution of tires and wheels of a very different size than what the system was designed for. Case closed. That doesn't sound too different to me than substituting a hitch that attaches to the frame for one that attaches to the axle. I don't expect any of the after market hitches to fail in actual use but if there is ever a question with the suspension, stability control and other related items, warranty coverage could depend on whether the hitch was OEM. I'm not saying it will actually happen because, As I said elsewhere, dealerships are not always interested in angering their customers and rejecting profitable warranty work on account of some after market part that the company doesn't know about.

I am aware that there are several other hitches that have provided good service at much lower prices. I might even buy one after I examine the design for myself. But, I will go into it knowing full well that some parts of my warranty might be compromised. I'm done.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    BLUELIGHT911, I will stand by every word I said but I will not stand by words you erroneously attributed to me. I didn't say anything about "THE" warranty. what I said was that certain parts of the warranty could be voided by using certain inappropriate substitute parts to the vehicle. Nobody is going to deny warranty service on the engine, for example, if the wrong hitch is used. You really need to pay attention to what I say before you start interpreting it for others on my behalf.

It will probably come as a complete shock to you but the Magnuson-Moss Act provides for warranty exclusions if the manufacturer can show that the substitute is not adequate for its intended purpose. You can bet your last dollar that BRP has already done their homework on that one. If they hadn't, they wouldn't make the statement so frequently in the sales material and owner's manual. I suggest you read the actual document in its entirety rather than going by what you have heard.

The litigation that I had to provide technical information for concerned the behavior and effectiveness of the anti-lock brake system of a particular new model car. It was easy to show that the computer controlled ABS system could not be expected to perform properly with the substitution of tires and wheels of a very different size than what the system was designed for. Case closed. That doesn't sound too different to me than substituting a hitch that attaches to the frame for one that attaches to the axle. I don't expect any of the after market hitches to fail in actual use but if there is ever a question with the suspension, stability control and other related items, warranty coverage could depend on whether the hitch was OEM. I'm not saying it will actually happen because, As I said elsewhere, dealerships are not always interested in angering their customers and rejecting profitable warranty work on account of some after market part that the company doesn't know about.

I am aware that there are several other hitches that have provided good service at much lower prices. I might even buy one after I examine the design for myself. But, I will go into it knowing full well that some parts of my warranty might be compromised. I'm done.
    ..................Who is BLUELIGHT911 ?????..........................Mike ( aka BLUEKNIGHT911 ) .................................................. .................................And the only after-market Hitch that does not attach to the AXEL / SWINGARM that I'm aware of is or was made by GIVI, and that was a FRAME Hitch.......

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default THE HITCH ISSUE

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    A couple of thoughts. BRP is going to say that as a marketing point. They do, after all, sell the hitch and harness as a package, or system. AFAIK no after market hitch is sold with a harness. Since they sell it they have no choice but to maintain the warranty on the bike, so that is the case whether they brag about it or not.

From what others have written I understand the BRP hitch has some sort of rubber shock mounts between the bracket that locks around the swing arm and the U part of the hitch. That would help cut down on vibration and shock from the trailer connection being transmitted to the swing arm. Again, AFAIK no after market hitch has such shock absorbers. How much difference that really makes in the real world of riding I don't know, but IMO it wouldn't be much. And what would the consequences be of transmitting a little bit more shock and vibration to the swing arm? Good question, but I don't see from a mechanical engineer viewpoint how it would be very much at all, if any. All of the load on the swing arm is transmitted to the tire by a pretty rigid shaft and bearing configuration.

The only way an after market hitch will impact warranty claims is if somehow BRP can demonstrate that the minor additional shock and vibration that an after market hitch MAY transmit to the swing arm above that of the BRP hitch has caused a part failure that the BRP hitch would not have caused. That would be a pretty long stretch I believe.

Having installed an after market hitch myself, and creating my own wiring harness, I will say if dollars are not a limitation on what one wants to do, go with the BRP hitch. If you're a resourceful DIYer and money is more important than time, then go for an after market hitch and harness, or make your own. The likelihood of a warranty claim denial is very slim, from both the standpoint that I don't see any likely part failures caused by any hitch, and the difficulty in proving the after market differences caused the failure.
    ......With at least 85 % of what you said , However I believe BRP made their Hitch with the " CUSHION " because they and I agree that the constant shock to the drive-line will in the long-term cause problems.......They did the " CUSHION ", what I did was a very simple and easy and in-expensive " STIFF HITCH " using a " TIE-ROD END " from a 2- ton trk as my attachment for my trailers............BRP's trailer has the conventional BALL & COUPLER so they invented the " CUSHION " hitch assembly ..............If you attach a tie-rod end to your trailer you don't need the " CUSHION " because there is no slack in the system now............This would not work with heavier trailers ( tie-rods are not made strong enough ), but an under 500 lb load is fine.................Think of it this way, No one in there right mind would attach the BALL to the rear axel of any tow vehicle .....They all attach to the frame ,...so some slack is absorbed and will not harm the Drivetrain...........This is not the case with the Spyder( effectively speaking ).......I feel the " tie-rod " works ................So does BUSHTEC , one of the largest makers of trailers , google them and see what their trailer coupler looks like ......Effectively it's a STIFF HITCH..............I hope this answers some questions and eases some fears ..........Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 12-06-2014 at 07:45 PM.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ......With at least 85 % of what you said , However I believe BRP made their Hitch with the " CUSHION " because they and I agree that the constant shock to the drive-line will in the long-term cause problems.......They did the " CUSHION ", what I did was a very simple and easy and in-expensive " STIFF HITCH " using a " TIE-ROD END " from a 2- ton trk as my attachment for my trailers............BRP's trailer has the conventional BALL & COUPLER so they invented the " CUSHION " hitch assembly ..............If you attach a tie-rod end to your trailer you don't need the " CUSHION " because there is no slack in the system now............This would not work with heavier trailers ( tie-rods are not made strong enough ), but an under 500 lb load is fine.................Think of it this way, No one in there right mind would attach the BALL to the rear axel of any tow vehicle .....They all attach to the frame ,...so some slack is absorbed and will not harm the Drivetrain...........This is not the case with the Spyder( effectively speaking ).......I feel the " tie-rod " works ................So does BUSHTEC , one of the largest makers of trailers , google them and see what their trailer coupler looks like ......Effectively it's a STIFF HITCH..............I hope this answers some questions and eases some fears ..........Mike
    The shock and vibration I have in mind is vertical caused by irregularities in the the road surface, not horizontal caused by the trailer moving forward and backward with respect to the hitch. Do you know exactly what the cushioning is in the BRP hitch? I don't. How is it configured? Maybe it addresses both of our thoughts about shock and vibration.

I guess I'm wondering about the concern you mitigated with the tie rod coupling. I've not experienced any looseness in the coupling, other than what I wrote about earlier with the bolt coming loose in the ball. I've always viewed the tie rod connector as solving a problem that isn't worth worrying about! In fact I just looked at the Bushtec web site. If their hitch pin is so all powerfully advantageous over the regular ball hitch, they sure don't have any info that slaps you in your face when you look at their site. In fact I don't even find any discussion of it all, although I'm sure there was some a couple of years ago. I think, just like Can Am's warranty pitch, that it is mostly a marketing gimmick to set themselves apart from the crowd.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default THEN THERE IS THIS

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    The shock and vibration I have in mind is vertical caused by irregularities in the the road surface, not horizontal caused by the trailer moving forward and backward with respect to the hitch. Do you know exactly what the cushioning is in the BRP hitch? I don't. How is it configured? Maybe it addresses both of our thoughts about shock and vibration.

I guess I'm wondering about the concern you mitigated with the tie rod coupling. I've not experienced any looseness in the coupling, other than what I wrote about earlier with the bolt coming loose in the ball. I've always viewed the tie rod connector as solving a problem that isn't worth worrying about! In fact I just looked at the Bushtec web site. If their hitch pin is so all powerfully advantageous over the regular ball hitch, they sure don't have any info that slaps you in your face when you look at their site. In fact I don't even find any discussion of it all, although I'm sure there was some a couple of years ago. I think, just like Can Am's warranty pitch, that it is mostly a marketing gimmick to set themselves apart from the crowd.
    ​Well we can discuss this forever......But I will say this , I have always hated that annoying clanging and banging from the conventional Ball & Coupler arraignment and with the " tie-rod " set-up that no longer exists ( and less expensive & lighter )......I will never tow with anything else ( using the Spyder )..............Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 12-07-2014 at 10:05 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default After market Hitch

Just last week I was gonta bid on a after market hitch , and I send the seller a question about their hitch , I receive an answer Please read the sale info. good , I return a answer to them I did , and that is why I sent a responce back , Do we need a longer axcel in your kit >they say just leave the 2 lardge support washers off .and install the supplyed plates >>In a responce to them I ask was this safe and have their been any failaures with their hitch >>>I got no answer from , and was denied a bid on their cheap hitch .They are on Ebay so be ware about this seller >>>Buy a good safe name brand one as I did >>

Spyder Garage

Default AFTERMARKET HITCH

Quote Originally Posted by dfwbiker View Post
    Just last week I was gonta bid on a after market hitch , and I send the seller a question about their hitch , I receive an answer Please read the sale info. good , I return a answer to them I did , and that is why I sent a responce back , Do we need a longer axcel in your kit >they say just leave the 2 lardge support washers off .and install the supplyed plates >>In a responce to them I ask was this safe and have their been any failaures with their hitch >>>I got no answer from , and was denied a bid on their cheap hitch .They are on Ebay so be ware about this seller >>>Buy a good safe name brand one as I did >>
    >>>>>>This is probably why you were told this ( about the WASHERS ) ......THERE IS NO ROOM ON THE OEM AXEL FOR ANY MORE WASHERS OR ANYTHING ELSE .....The plates they sent you do DOUBLE DUTY ie. act as washers and support plates for the HITCH...........It's too bad for them they didn't try to explain it to you.......It sounds like their HITCH was not the type that BOLTS through the AXEL .............( it appears that ),The OEM axel actually holds the plates on with the one they sell...................Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 12-30-2014 at 12:53 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

how much is a BRP?

Spyder Garage

The Can Am accessory website lists $500 as the MSRP for the one that fits the 2014 RT. It includes the plug-n-play wiring harness. I Have seen them cheaper by about $50 but I can't find where at the moment. Check eBay.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default after market hitch

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    >>>>>>This is probably why you were told this ( about the WASHERS ) ......THERE IS NO ROOM ON THE OEM AXEL FOR ANY MORE WASHERS OR ANYTHING ELSE .....The plates they sent you do DOUBLE DUTY ie. act as washers and support plates for the HITCH...........It's too bad for them they didn't try to explain it to you.......It sounds like their HITCH was not the type that BOLTS through the AXEL .............( it appears that ),The OEM axel actually holds the plates on with the one they sell...................Mike
    A

I told the seller I relook at the hitch and it look ok to leave the spasers off and used the plate yet for some reason my bids on their hitches has been block and they block my messages back to them as well >>>I have a buddy now bidding for me , If they doint bid on their own hitches to run the price up too hi as they do sometimes >> I still will get one at a good buy .....

Spyder Garage

Default Hitch

This is the one I purchased at half the price very easy to install dose not come with wireing harness but can be purchased from the same company for around $85.00.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Show-Chrome-...03397618&rt=nc

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=stillriding;911097]
    Quote Originally Posted by ABQSpyder View Post
    BRP
    Easy to install
    Won't void warranty.
    Oh and it's the Best![/QUOT
    Regarding whether our warranties would be voided if a non-BRP hitch was installed, I wonder if it's true. In the 2015 parts and accessories catalog, page 101, it states, "Only SYSTEM on the market that maintains vehicle warranty requirements." Similarly, on page 72 of the 2014 BRP catalog it says, "This is the only hitch SYSTEM that maintains your vehicle's warranty." (emphasis added). If an aftermarket hitch mounts the same as BRP's, wouldn't the warranty requirements be met? Anyway, I just had a BRP hitch installed although I don't yet own a trailer. I'm looking into buying one, but it will not be BRP's. They're drastically over-priced and it's not necessary for me to have a trailer that matches my RTS.

My question is....did you also get the wiring harness from BRP?? If you did....will it math up to an after market trailer??