Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool Finally looking at getting one of these machines!!!

So, I've finally decided to get one of these awesome machines... I am just having questions between a 2013 ST SE5 Limited or a 2014 ST SE5 Limited? The 2013 is basically brand new (only 950 miles on it) and the 2014 is still brand new on the dealers showroom. Is there much of a difference between the two years?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The 2014 has a whole new drive train, 1330 3 cyl inline engine instead of 998 V-Twin and 6 speed transmission instead of 5 speed. More power, torque and better gas mileage, though the 1330 wants only premium fuel.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vkirkmir View Post
    So, I've finally decided to get one of these awesome machines... I am just having questions between a 2013 ST SE5 Limited or a 2014 ST SE5 Limited? The 2013 is basically brand new (only 950 miles on it) and the 2014 is still brand new on the dealers showroom. Is there much of a difference between the two years?
    Since your asking about the ST the only major difference in the two years is the air flow panels. If the plastic bodywork is the same up in front of your knees on both bikes, then the 2013 already has the updated (2014) panels. If it does not have the updated panels, most dealers can get those installed under warranty if you lodge a complaint about heat around the seat and just in front of seat.

There may be other differences but above is the one major one. (some stigma is attached to the 2013 model year so resale value may be better on a 2014 only time will tell.)
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joebryanjr View Post
    The 2014 has a whole new drive train, 1330 3 cyl inline engine instead of 998 V-Twin and 6 speed transmission instead of 5 speed. More power, torque and better gas mileage, though the 1330 wants only premium fuel.

He said ST , not RT.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbirds View Post
    Since your asking about the ST the only major difference in the two years is the air flow panels. If the plastic bodywork is the same up in front of your knees on both bikes, then the 2013 already has the updated (2014) panels. If it does not have the updated panels, most dealers can get those installed under warranty if you lodge a complaint about heat around the seat and just in front of seat.

There may be other differences but above is the one major one. (some stigma is attached to the 2013 model year so resale value may be better on a 2014 only time will tell.)
    2013 had "issues" with heat... It appears that the changes made for the 2014 model year were effective.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Go for the 2015 F3!

My 2014 RT-S is the love of my life behind wife, kids and dog. Since you're looking for a more sporty version and based on the success of the 1330 engine and 6-speed transmission in the 2014 RT models, the obvious choice is a 2015 F3. That's what I'd do if in your shoes/boots. The 998 V-twin is now a step backwards and the dollar savings on an old design isn't worth it. JMO.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll let others comment about the differences between the ST's. I just hope you get one soon and start racking up those miles. You'll love it!!

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    My 2014 RT-S is the love of my life behind wife, kids and dog. Since you're looking for a more sporty version and based on the success of the 1330 engine and 6-speed transmission in the 2014 RT models, the obvious choice is a 2015 F3. That's what I'd do if in your shoes/boots. The 998 V-twin is now a step backwards and the dollar savings on an old design isn't worth it. JMO.
    I agree, kind of. I purchased a 2014 rt, and love it. Sometimes I wish I had the sportier st version, but no enough to give up my 1330 engine. However, I am not a fan of the F3 looks, and would choose the st over the f3, even if it means going with the 990 engine. You should ride both, or maybe all 3, and then make a choice.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Sorry, my bad It was early and I was seeing RT instead of ST.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No worries, Bro...
    Are you still getting compliments over that EXCELLENT color scheme on your bike?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing..!!

how much difference in price are you looking at. If not an issue go for the 2014. If your deals have big differences I would go for the cheaper one...jmo..
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Save your $$$ and get the new F-3 will be same price as the 13-14 bike but lot better bike the F-3 will your best buy for shure....think on it you'll love it..

Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 Limited and I love it!!! I am having sooooo much fun sometimes I can't stand it! I would agree with the statement about the trade in value of the 2013 vs the 2014 later down the road. It might make a difference. But whatever you choose you will not regret it.

2016 F3-L Special Series Triple Black
    August 25, 2016

2014 ST-Limited
    July 2, 2014

"Just going down that long lonesome highway" and now REALLY loving every minute!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why is everyone trying to cram a different model down the OP's throat? Sounds like they have made their decision about what will work best for them, (even posted the question in the appropriate ST forum) and just wanted to know the differences between model years of the ST.

Spyderbirds has you covered. The only physical difference between the 13'-14' ST is the front panels by your knees. And these can be added to the 13' so its a moot point.

Everyone else needs to put the Koolaid back in the fridge....[emoji106]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

He wants an ST, and that's a GREAT bike...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 ST limited and just recently hit the 10,000 mile mark and have had no mechanical issues. I do have the 2014 airflow panels at BRP's expence. If the savings over the 14 model are high enough I would go for it. They are the exact same machine, except for the air flow panels.

No matter what year you buy I would strongly recommend upgrading the swaybar. I also upgraded my shocks to Elka's. It handled good with the stock shocks and upgraded swaybar. But the Elka's made it better.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Why is everyone trying to cram a different model down the OP's throat? Sounds like they have made their decision about what will work best for them, (even posted the question in the appropriate ST forum) and just wanted to know the differences between model years of the ST.

Spyderbirds has you covered. The only physical difference between the 13'-14' ST is the front panels by your knees. And these can be added to the 13' so its a moot point.

Everyone else needs to put the Koolaid back in the fridge....[emoji106]
    Actually if you end up with the 2013 ST and your buying it from a dealer make them put the 2014 side panels on it. If your not buying from a dealer then all you have to do is email BRP's customer care and tell them what you have and that you want the 2014 panels to cure the heat issue. BRP will pay to have the panels upgraded, but you have to ask (I just had them replaced on my 2013 RS). After that's done you basically have a 2014. To DrewNJ's point don't drink the "you've gotta have the 1330 engine or it's junk" kook-aid. The 990 has plenty of power for an RS or ST. Good luck with whatever you purchase.

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 or 2014?

I have a '13 ST-S and love it! I would think you will save a lot of money if you buy the '13. More money saved means more money for farkles!!

2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default '13 STS

Very happy now with the new panels. l also feel a lot better and safer as the miles add up down the road.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks all...

Thanks everyone for the input. I am going to head in today/or this weekend to test drive the 2013. Have never ridden one, so this should be fun. I do have a secondary question as I live in Oregon - raining 80% of the year - and want to be able to drive year round (minus snow/ice). Suggestions and/or any one else full time rider? Again, all your input is welcomed and appreciated. Semper Fi!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    He said ST , not RT.

Wife's original spyder was the 2013 ST-S. Dropped that "turd" and traded in/up to the 2014 RT-S.

Go with the 2014 or newer.

Just my opinion.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

Default Love 2013 STL

I have the 2013 ST Limited and have accumulated close to 38,000 miles on it. No issues whatsoever. If the '13 is your best option go for it. Do what is right for you whether '13 or '14. Either way welcome to SpyderLand!

Spyder Garage

Default st limited semi auto 2013

Took me about 1000 miles to get used to it after spending 60 years on 30 2 wheel motorcycles. i love it now.
    i only hace 3000 trouble free miles and look forward to many more.

carl