Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Either make it a "point of sale" decision, or offer it as either a Performance, or a Touring upgrade.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    What do you guys think?
    How do you think this shoe is looking, at this point of it's life?
    I've kept the pressures between 28, and 30 psi.
    With 5000mi they don't look to bad Bob!
    I changed mine at 5500 and there was no tread left in the middle...
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

One additional comment here. RE: Longevity vs. grip. I am not an aggressive type rider, so extra grip was never an issue for me. I am a higher mileage rider and therefore prefer a tire with some longevity.

The previous iterations of the rear tires always gave me 10K to 15K worth of tread life on the rear tires. The 2011 has almost 17K miles on it, but will get a new rear tire when it goes back into service in the spring.

The 2014 gave me 8600 miles--which is better than most of you folks have posted--so I am not complaining--to much.

A "normal" riding season for me is about 15K to 20K miles now. This summer I put on about 12.5K over three different 's. Each tire change costs me $350 plus. The latest on the 2014 was $421. If I have a normal riding season, that's over a thousand bucks just for rear tires. This could soon become a deal breaker.

I was told the "new" tire I put on was from the new "harder" compound. Time will tell. I have almost 2K miles on the new tire.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh! Just because my obsessive-compulsive mind told me to:
    Here's a clearer picture of the bike's display, and my mileage for the Season... So Far!
    5000 miles 005.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    One additional comment here. RE: Longevity vs. grip. I am not an aggressive type rider, so extra grip was never an issue for me. I am a higher mileage rider and therefore prefer a tire with some longevity.

The previous iterations of the rear tires always gave me 10K to 15K worth of tread life on the rear tires. The 2011 has almost 17K miles on it, but will get a new rear tire when it goes back into service in the spring.

The 2014 gave me 8600 miles--which is better than most of you folks have posted--so I am not complaining--to much.

A "normal" riding season for me is about 15K to 20K miles now. This summer I put on about 12.5K over three different 's. Each tire change costs me $350 plus. The latest on the 2014 was $421. If I have a normal riding season, that's over a thousand bucks just for rear tires. This could soon become a deal breaker.

I was told the "new" tire I put on was from the new "harder" compound. Time will tell. I have almost 2K miles on the new tire.
    421 $ for a rear tire replacement seems excessive to me. I don't pay that for 2 rears installed. Although, I was on a trip with a friend riding a goldwing and he was charged 350 for a new rear tire after he had a flat.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Stan,
    You've got to remember; he doesn't have access to other sources, and his dealer won't mount a non-BRP approved tire.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I would replace the rear tire. My 2010 RT rear tire looked the same and I replaced it. In the wet weather I could feel the rear sliding around too much for my liking.
    Dry weather riding was fine . I keep rear tire pressure at 30PSI. You probably have the soft compound that BRP was briefly using on tires. I feel you should have gotten 12,000 miles before changing rear tire. Complain to dealer and see if they come clean for a new tire.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't push the capabilities of the tires at all...
    It'll finish up this Season, and we'll have the bike re-shod at the start of 2015.

For the Record: I never got more than 7000 miles out of any Kenda rear tire... We think that it's the roads up here; it sure isn't my right wrist!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

6/32" TREAD LEFT is my guess

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh great... Now I'm gonna go have to actually measure it, and report back to you!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spot on the money!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Tire Wear

We have a 2014 with almost 7000 miles and center starting to wear in the center. We keep pressure at 28psi and ride 2 up 95% of the time. When we traded our 2011 it had 15000 and the tire looked brand new. I have heard that Can Am has a soft and a hard compound. We will get thru to spring, maybe a little longer, but do not want to take a chance.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What do you risk; by saving money on tires?