Thread: Oil Dip Stick

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil Dip Stick

Not sure if I am the only one bothered by the procedure to check the oil. It takes me 10 minutes to check the oil due to having to screw in the oil cap/dipstick "all the way". Every time I unscrew it the o-ring unseats and has to be pushed back on, then repeat...

I came up with a quick, cheap and simple dipstick. Now it takes 2 minutes. Also less wear and tear on the o-ring. Purchased "Zip-it" from Lowes that is sold in the plumbing dept for unclogging drains. Simply snipped it off (including the barbs) to the same length as dipstick and scored a line that matches the "full" line of dipstick.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Well done..!!

great solution. I always took the o-ring off to make it easier to screw in a nd out and measured right after a long ryde. This does simplify things...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

someone here on SL way back in the past said to turn the o-ring over and it wouldn't come off anymore. I kind of laughed at the post, but thought "why not?" and did it. the o-ring is now seated and does not come off. I like this idea anyway just because it's less hassle than having to screw in the dipstick.
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BUUUUUUUUUUUUT

Quote Originally Posted by 333Club View Post
    Not sure if I am the only one bothered by the procedure to check the oil. It takes me 10 minutes to check the oil due to having to screw in the oil cap/dipstick "all the way". Every time I unscrew it the o-ring unseats and has to be pushed back on, then repeat...

I came up with a quick, cheap and simple dipstick. Now it takes 2 minutes. Also less wear and tear on the o-ring. Purchased "Zip-it" from Lowes that is sold in the plumbing dept for unclogging drains. Simply snipped it off (including the barbs) to the same length as dipstick and scored a line that matches the "full" line of dipstick.
    .....I thought of that quite awhile ago.....so I designed one myself, using some wood dowels.....mine is an EXACT FIT for the hole ....this insures the angle remains the same as the OEM dip stick.........only mine doesn't have the annoying threads...........................With the one you are using, the angle is going to be a guess and it could be OFF by quite a bit...........I'm not throwing water on your IDEA just pointing out a FLAW....................Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vondalyn View Post
    someone here on SL way back in the past said to turn the o-ring over and it wouldn't come off anymore. I kind of laughed at the post, but thought "why not?" and did it. the o-ring is now seated and does not come off. I like this idea anyway just because it's less hassle than having to screw in the dipstick.

Mmmmm, will try it on next check.

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

.....I thought of that quite awhile ago.....so I designed one myself, using some wood dowels.....mine is an EXACT FIT for the hole ....this insures the angle remains the same as the OEM dip stick.........only mine doesn't have the annoying threads...........................With the one you are using, the angle is going to be a guess and it could be OFF by quite a bit...........I'm not throwing water on your IDEA just pointing out a FLAW....................Mike ""

I was JUST coming in here, to mention the one that you cooked-up; you beat me to it!

..This time!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I was given this tip by my service tech. Next time you check your oil and it is at the level you want to keep it, simply insert the dipstick - but do not screw it in. Remove it and check the level location on the Xs on the dipstick. Remember which one it is and you never need to screw it back in to check again!
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Red face Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by 333Club View Post
    Every time I unscrew it the o-ring unseats and has to be pushed back on, then repeat...
    There's an O ring on the dip stick? I'd better go check that!
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    If there isn't ; you'd probably already know that it's missing...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    Mine had NO O-ring from new and the first time i checked the oil it was runing down the side of the oil tank and was puddled up on the bottom pan.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELL.WELL.WELL

Quote Originally Posted by 900Dave View Post
    Mine had NO O-ring from new and the first time i checked the oil it was runing down the side of the oil tank and was puddled up on the bottom pan.
    ....Dave they are delivered without OIL......When they set it up, they lost the " O " ring ......Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vondalyn View Post
    My '10 RTS must have had the o'ring already flipped. I had read about this a year or two back and was always expecting the o'ring to come off or something and it never did.
    Happy Spyderlovers