Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Last edited by DrewNJ; 02-02-2015 at 03:31 PM.

Spyder Garage

Talking If you decide to replace

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Just to add, pretty sure it's time for a canisterectomy or a EVAP can replacement.
    I am smelling fumes all the time now (very little to be honest but I smell it), when I park in the garage after a run home from work on the freeway.
    I am pretty sure the charcoal is saturated now.

I will deal with it myself to be honest but it would be nice if it could be flushed or replaced easily.

Bob
    Check towards the back of your OM - Replacement has a mileage and time limit but, it is a warranty item.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

My 1975 Honda 750-4 never had any of these issues. But it's also not even close to the same animal.

To be 100% honest and my opinion, all this EPA stuff that BRP HAD TO ADD is also part of the problem.

Yes, my 750-4 had boiling gas if I rode to Vegas in the middle of the summer. But again a totally different animal when it comes to the fumes trapped inside which didn't happen on the 750-4.

FYI, that was my last 2 wheels as in 1983 when I got married the wife didn't want me riding anymore due to 4 people we know that died all in a 2 year period. It just go too crazy to ride in Socal back then for many reasons I wont even go into.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Bob, if your dead set on staying with a canister you can have mine if you want it. It has less than 50 miles on it before I pulled it off. Just cover shipping and its yours. PM me if you want it.

However, ditching the fuel storage device makes a big improvement.
    Thanks Drew! but alas I will bypass it and become a Ca pollution renegade..... Well until NHTSA forces BRP to deal with this issue which I don't have much confidence in a "real fix". Like you said above.... I will deal with it myself... NO FREAKIN WAY am I going to stop riding my Spyder because I love the thing!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Check towards the back of your OM - Replacement has a mileage and time limit but, it is a warranty item.
    Thanks Jerry but whats the point really? I will just have to do it again. Took 11,400 miles to get to this point and I consider myself lucky I guess... Or maybe I am more tolerant of this issue as I have had gas stink from the beginning. It's just gotten worse over time.

Can I just say, I have no "riding" heat issues and am pretty damn happy about all that. It's just the freakin gas smell from time to time and my Wife is not happy about it either when she smells the stink in the garage. I ride my Spyder minimum 4 times a week commuting to work (with several miles of stop and go). If I get rid of that issue I am golden.

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 10-29-2014 at 07:33 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

As soon as my new hip is working properly, I'm getting a Schwinn. Lol
    Seriously, I did get a hip replacement last week and look forward to riding the RT again. I'm sure all of the issues will be resolved by brp.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Last edited by DrewNJ; 02-02-2015 at 03:32 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    My 1975 Honda 750-4 never had any of these issues. But it's also not even close to the same animal.

To be 100% honest and my opinion, all this EPA stuff that BRP HAD TO ADD is also part of the problem.

Yes, my 750-4 had boiling gas if I rode to Vegas in the middle of the summer. But again a totally different animal when it comes to the fumes trapped inside which didn't happen on the 750-4.

FYI, that was my last 2 wheels as in 1983 when I got married the wife didn't want me riding anymore due to 4 people we know that died all in a 2 year period. It just go too crazy to ride in Socal back then for many reasons I wont even go into.

Bob
    I had a 1976 Honda 750 Super Sport Inline 4 when I lived in Texas at that time. Rode it literally 10 months of the year. Never had any gas smell, gas boiling, excessive heat, hard starting, & never got stranded 85 miles from home like I did this spring. You are right, not even the same animal. Granted, EPA & CARB regulations have forced manufactures to add components to vehicles that in and of themselves can cause lots of problems. But every car on the road today has all of those same components, but you don't hear about them being so hot as to be uncomfortable to drive, or that they spontaneously combust.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default my age is.....

Somewhere between classic and retro.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

That I don't know Dave. However, its a moot point isn't it? Before the evap systems it was just open tank venting on all vehicles. (basically what we do when we do the canisterectomy). Remember the fuel smells around old cars, or classic cars as a kid?? Vapors are expelled to the atmosphere either way, whether there is a canister or not.
    Personally, while some systems perform better than others and better in some regions, motorcycle evap systems, in their current configuration (for all models and manufacturers) are not going to work 100% on any bike. The space is to confined and with new epa regs to run everything so lean and hot, it just aggravates the condition. It is what it is. We are a product of our own greenie selves...

So, while boiling fuel is not ideal, provisions to reduce the vapor concerns are needed.<<<notice I said reduce, not eliminate. Its tough on a bike and to be honest, going to be even more difficult for a manufacturer due to the standards they are required to follow....and probably the most difficult on vtwins.
    And that was my point yes they vented to atmosphere so when you parked no pressure in the tank from boiling gas to spew via the EVAP overflow. Same with boiling gas. When the tank is exposed to air flow the amount of time it boils is reduced by the shorter cooling time. When it encapsulated, boiling, over a hot exhaust and engine it will spew for a while. That is one of the reasons for the 40 min. hum of the TB to keep it closed in case the purge valve gets stuck it isn't going into the engine. By the way for all the Harley doesn't use them guys

Obviously they are in a place for maximum cooling.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Last edited by DrewNJ; 02-02-2015 at 03:33 PM.

Spyder Garage

Here is an interesting observation for those of you that are still stuck on using the canister setup.

The spyder has an open vent at the canister. This is simply an open line directly from the canister to the atmosphere.
    This makes the system open when at rest.

Most other canister bikes have a solenoid valve in that same line. So the line is blocked when at rest. Some use an electric valve, some us a vacuum actuated valve.
    This makes the system closed when at rest.
    Might work but the problem is if the gas continues to boil pressure will build up and blow a line off or worse. When it cools and contracts it will collapse the hoses. Most systems with check valves do not has boiling gas.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Last edited by DrewNJ; 02-02-2015 at 03:33 PM.