Spyder Garage

Default 1330 engine vibration at 1200rpm

My 2014 RT exhibits an anyoing engine vibration coming off idle at around 1200 RPM. It is NOT belt related since it occurs when standing. It is especially annoying when starting out. At idle it is smooth, but going through 1100 - 1300rpm there is a slight vibration, then everything is smooth again. I do have a belt tensioner device installed, but again the vibration will occur when standing. Maybe the 1330 is so darn smooth, I'm just being picky.

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting..!!

where are you feeling the vibrations..?? Only thing that comes to mind is engine mounts or weak spark to one of the cyliners. You could always run by the dealer and have them test it. Those that have your model may know more could be normal...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by palover View Post
    My 2014 RT exhibits an anyoing engine vibration coming off idle at around 1200 RPM. It is NOT belt related since it occurs when standing. It is especially annoying when starting out. At idle it is smooth, but going through 1100 - 1300rpm there is a slight vibration, then everything is smooth again. I do have a belt tensioner device installed, but again the vibration will occur when standing. Maybe the 1330 is so darn smooth, I'm just being picky.
    How many miles on the bike.. I never take Spyder symptoms very seriously on a bike with under 3000 miles - over the years most of mine have gone away after a solid breakin
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    How many miles on the bike.. I never take Spyder symptoms very seriously on a bike with under 3000 miles - over the years most of mine have gone away after a solid breakin
    The vibrations are felt on the bars and on the mirrors. Again after it passes thru 1200, everything is smooth. The vib is only felt off idle as it passes thru 1200. At idle and above 1200, smooth. Mileage is 1,100.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Mine has a slight hesitation rather than a vibration

Quote Originally Posted by palover View Post
    The vibrations are felt on the bars and on the mirrors. Again after it passes thru 1200, everything is smooth. The vib is only felt off idle as it passes thru 1200. At idle and above 1200, smooth. Mileage is 1,100.

I talked to the dealer about it but am just waiting to take it in for its 3000 mile oil change and checkup. He said he will check out my 1400 rpm hesitation at that time. I'll let everyone know what he finds out.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michiganspyderman View Post
    I talked to the dealer about it but am just waiting to take it in for its 3000 mile oil change and checkup. He said he will check out my 1400 rpm hesitation at that time. I'll let everyone know what he finds out.
    Please keep us informed. A lot of times the situation gets this far and then we don't hear whether or not it gets fixed.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Please keep us informed. A lot of times the situation gets this far and then we don't hear whether or not it gets fixed.
    Visited the dealer today and checked another 2014 RT Limited. Same vibration as my 2014 RT Limited at 1200 rpm. Easy just check the mirrors as slowly accelerating from idle with the bike in neutral the vibration will be seed in the mirrors briefly as you go through 1200.

Spyder Garage

Default Inline triple vibes

Inline triples have a natural vibration, kind of an oscillating type at both ends of the crankshaft. That 1979 Yamaha 750 had lots of it because it was rigidly mounted to the frame and didn't have a counterbalancer shaft in it. Both of my Triumph triples had a balancer shaft and were a lot smoother but there were still some harmonic vibes at certain RPM levels. I suspect the Rotax 1330 ACE also has a balance shaft and what you are experiencing is a harmonic vibration which happens at certain RPMs. It's the nature of the beast so-to-speak.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Spoke with dealer

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    when I took my Spyder in for it's 3,000 mile break-in inspection. He made a few routine adjustments and recalled seeing something in his manual about a 1,400 rpm (or so) problem. He couldn't remember if it was for a vibration, hesitation, etc. and said he'd check it out and let me know if he found anything. I trust the tech and will let everyone know if anything turns up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question: Is this vibration happening if you rev the engine up, and the bikes ISN'T in gear?
    This might just be the normal feel of your clutch plates doing their thing, at engagement time...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black