Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Rt-622 trailer - noisy clunk clunk sound when connected

Hi group. I have a question about the RT-622 trailer. I've searched the forum but couldn't really find an answer.

I recently purchased my new RT-622 and I've noticed that when I have it connected, it's noisy. The tongue is connected fine and is secure so it's not going anywhere....but there seems to be a lot of play in the bolt that holds the latch through the main tongue part.

Is the RT-622 trailer just noisy like that? I'm thinking of trying to tighten it up some but wanted to garner some opinions first.

Like I said, it's all connected and secure. I've tried pulling and pushing to make it come off the ball but no-go, it's definitely secure and not going to come off.

It's just noisy! Starting and stopping I hear the "clunk-clunk" sound a lot. I'm used to pulling a popup camper behind my Tahoe and never hear that noise.

Here's my setup.

2011 RT-S SM5 with new 2014 hitch installed by dealer
    2013 RT-622 trailer

Just wondering what others have experienced.

Thanks,
    David

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TxSpyderNewbee View Post
    Hi group. I have a question about the RT-622 trailer. I've searched the forum but couldn't really find an answer.

I recently purchased my new RT-622 and I've noticed that when I have it connected, it's noisy. The tongue is connected fine and is secure so it's not going anywhere....but there seems to be a lot of play in the bolt that holds the latch through the main tongue part.

Is the RT-622 trailer just noisy like that? I'm thinking of trying to tighten it up some but wanted to garner some opinions first.

Like I said, it's all connected and secure. I've tried pulling and pushing to make it come off the ball but no-go, it's definitely secure and not going to come off.

It's just noisy! Starting and stopping I hear the "clunk-clunk" sound a lot. I'm used to pulling a popup camper behind my Tahoe and never hear that noise.

Here's my setup.

2011 RT-S SM5 with new 2014 hitch installed by dealer
    2013 RT-622 trailer

Just wondering what others have experienced.

Thanks,
    David

normal for me when empty. You need some tounge weight

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CLUNK,CLANK,KLINK

I hated that annoying sound also.......so I have a stiff HITCH type arrangement on my RT...........instead of the usual coupler / ball .....I attached a heavy duty " TIE - ROD " end ( the type that's used as part of the steering mechanism of all cars and trks. ) onto my trailer ( in place of the coupler )..........and that bolts onto my Hitch on the Spyder with a Lock Nut......Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 10-24-2014 at 05:31 PM.

Spyder Garage

The part of the trailer tongue that attaches to the ball may be loose. Try tightening it some and then hook the trailer to the hitch ball. Try lifting the trailer tongue when hitched and feel if it is loose or rattles.

Spyder Garage

The coupler may not be adjusted properly. They are similar to this one

http://www.northerntool.com/images/d...als/605660.pdf

JT

Spyder Garage

Put a little grease on the ball. It will get rid of most the noise. Seriously!

Jack
    Last edited by jaherbst; 10-24-2014 at 08:22 PM.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Talking

Greasy balls....Way to go!!!....... I'll get my coat!

Spyder Garage

I hesitate to comment with confidence unless I can examine the hitch for myself. However, based on many years of towing all the way from motorcycle trailers to boats to travel trailers, I can say that all hitches make noise. You must have some clearance between the ball and the socket to prevent friction or binding. Every time you move the Spyder with respect to the trailer you are going to hear some bumping or rattling. You will also hear it when you go over bumps. The chances are that the rattling is normal. I agree with the persons who said that a load on the tongue will reduce noise and that a little grease on the ball will also help.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NOT NECESSARILY

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I hesitate to comment with confidence unless I can examine the hitch for myself. However, based on many years of towing all the way from motorcycle trailers to boats to travel trailers, I can say that all hitches make noise. You must have some clearance between the ball and the socket to prevent friction or binding. Every time you move the Spyder with respect to the trailer you are going to hear some bumping or rattling. You will also hear it when you go over bumps. The chances are that the rattling is normal. I agree with the persons who said that a load on the tongue will reduce noise and that a little grease on the ball will also help.
    ......Mine doesn't make any sounds what-so-ever ................as explained earlier in Post # 3 ..............Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OJ UK View Post
    Greasy balls....Way to go!!!....... I'll get my coat!

Spyder Garage

Default Rt-622 trailer - noisy clunk clunk sound when connected

The grease will help as will some tongue weight, however, it certainly seems that the coupler needs to be adjusted to take out the excess slack.

KYSPYDER

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

That was the only thing I liked better about the Bushtec trailer you never heard a sound. It had the end rod with a stem hitch so it was tight and and you never had any slack so there wasn't any of that clunk, clunk sound when starting and stopping. I liked it a lot better on a two wheeled bike because you also had full rotation. I laid a Gold Wing down once while on a trip and it slid down the roadway and the trailer never even bounced much less turned over. A few years later while at a rally a guy let his bike get away from him and he slammed into the side of my trailer driving it sideways into a light pole and never even knocked my bike of the kickstand. I might try to change the ball hitch to this type hitch sometime down the road.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did you try super glue? That will keep the ball fixed firmly to the trailer, but may make it difficult to disconnect the trailer from the Spyder. But hey, no more noise.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ......Mine doesn't make any sounds what-so-ever ................as explained earlier in Post # 3 ..............Mike
    Yep, that is certainly an option. I like to be able to tow my motorcycle trailer behind our SUV or my truck sometimes. I just don't find the clunking noise all that bad. I do understand the original poster's concerns if he doesn't have a lot of towing experience. I was just trying to put his mind at ease. He could certainly have someone check but I doubt very much he has a safety or reliability problem.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Problem solved

Thanks everyone for the suggestions....problem solved!

Today, I got out and hooked up the trailer to the RT-S and found a socket that would fit the nut on the underside of the coupler. I tightened it until the excess play was no longer there, but not too tight to cause it to bind.

Once I did that, everything smoothed out and is working great now. Sure, there's always gonna be some clunking when I hit a bump or something, but my problem was the coupler wasn't adjusted enough. After doing that, I'm satisfied now. I got out and did an extended ride today and pulled it for around 200 miles (long loop ride around home) and it did wonderful.

Thanks again to everyone on the advice about adjusting it.

David

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TxSpyderNewbee View Post
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions....problem solved!

Today, I got out and hooked up the trailer to the RT-S and found a socket that would fit the nut on the underside of the coupler. I tightened it until the excess play was no longer there, but not too tight to cause it to bind.

Once I did that, everything smoothed out and is working great now. Sure, there's always gonna be some clunking when I hit a bump or something, but my problem was the coupler wasn't adjusted enough. After doing that, I'm satisfied now. I got out and did an extended ride today and pulled it for around 200 miles (long loop ride around home) and it did wonderful.

Thanks again to everyone on the advice about adjusting it.

David
    Don't forget to wipe a little grease on the inside...

JT