Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Riding in the rain

Driving thru the Smokey Mountains yesterday (4 wheels) it was raining pretty heavy. Saw a lot of bikers heading west. I have only been in the rain one time on my Rt and didn't expect it. Had to pull off the road. What is the trick to riding in the rain?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default good rain suit

there is no trick, spyder rides thru the rain great only reason I ever slow down is my helmet shield fogs up. bought some helmet anti fog stuff but usually forget to use

Moe
    Last edited by moe113097; 10-17-2014 at 08:01 AM. Reason: typo

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Spyders do a pretty good job of shoveling all of the weather around the operator of the bike.
    (The passenger WILL get some "BackDraft" rain...)
    In light rain; I don't even stop for raingear; it simply isn't needed...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Tire Tread Wear

The biggest thing is preventing hydroplaning, usually big deep puddles can cause this even for cars & trucks. If you have to cross a big puddle slow down. Another big factor is tire tread depth as bald or nearly bald tires will slip instead of grip on wet pavement. At any rate it would pay to slow down a bit on wet roads.

Spyder Garage

Default do like SCUBA divers do on their masks

Quote Originally Posted by moe113097 View Post
    there is no trick, spyder rides thru the rain great only reason I ever slow down is my helmet shield fogs up. bought some helmet anti fog stuff but usually forget to use

Moe
    Spit, rub, and rinse in the rain. We also use some pink drops that will keep our masks clear for a half dozen or so dives. I think that stuff was called 5000psi or some such.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why is "SubDriver", asking about riding in wet conditions?
    Shouldn't he already be used to the wettest ones??

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Why is "SubDriver", asking about riding in wet conditions?
    Shouldn't he already be used to the wettest ones??
    No....never ever want water in the people tank!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

#1 - Stay calm
    #2 - Use Rain-X on your helmet's visor
    #3 - rain gear
    #4 - keep moving, you'll only get really wet if you stop

Those are my tips. and I ride mine in snow. and I'm in WA, so the rain is unavoiable at times....the biggest thing is just be ready for it. carry your rain gear with you at all times.

Spyder Garage

As said before, good rain gear is the ticket, along with waterproof boots & gloves. Our gloves say waterproof on the tag, but I spray them with a water repellent as well. I also work sno-seal into our boots. You would be surprised how (relatively) comfortable you can be riding in the rain with the right gear. Our gear is on the RT at all times. And yes, slow down as well & be on guard for hydroplaning. At SpyderQuest last month, the wife & I rode about 75 miles in the rain on Saturday, most of that on I-87. Only problem was, we (I) forgot to bring the waterproof gloves , we were wearing our summer mesh gloves, so our hands got very wet. Thank goodness for heated grips!! The gloves now live with the rain gear so I don't get in trouble again.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joet82 View Post
    #1 - Stay calm
    #2 - Use Rain-X on your helmet's visor
    #3 - rain gear
    #4 - keep moving, you'll only get really wet if you stop

Those are my tips. and I ride mine in snow. and I'm in WA, so the rain is unavoiable at times....the biggest thing is just be ready for it. carry your rain gear with you at all times.

If it starts raining while I'm already on the road, I pull under an overpass or at a gas station canopy to put on my rain gear. Then I just keep going and enjoy the ride! I want to try one of these:
    1048_1ha.jpg

The only other thing I'd add is to give the semis and other cages a wide berth because of the tire spray.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SubDriver View Post
    No....never ever want water in the people tank!!
    Got it...

Spyder Garage

Default what Bob said...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The Spyders do a pretty good job of shoveling all of the weather around the operator of the bike.
    (The passenger WILL get some "BackDraft" rain...)
    In light rain; I don't even stop for raingear; it simply isn't needed...

Most showers here in CO don,t last long, and a rain jacket is sufficient. Pull over when its done and wipe off the shields and you're good to go. Got drenched the last 20 minutes coming to the motel in NM in August. Oh well. Got drowned with standing water going through Denver in late August and we should have pulled over as the water was pooling on the front of the seats, I cracked a crossover pipe on the Harley due to cold stress added to fatigue probably, and later poured a quarter cup of water out of the horn volute. Wifey was damp on the Spyder but drove a little saner and Spydee seemed good with it all.

It we lived back east we probably would wear the full suits and pull over or slow down more often. Overall, slow down and ride your own ride!
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default EVERYONE ...PLEASE DO THIS

SLOW DOW......all veh's and especially Spyders Hydroplane .....There are NO tires made that will prevent it ...NOT even the ones that cost $1000 each that they put on F-1 race cars.............................JMHO.....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Agree..!!

with those that pull over suit up and keep ryding. Slowing down and pulling to the slow lane (freeway travel) is also a good idea. We are assuming you vehicle is in good shape. If squirrly or visiblity is too bad get off and wait it out...don't push your limits...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Gene...
    You live in Southern California; how much rain do you get to ride in?

(You lucky Dawg!! )

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Here in Florida one does not have time to get one's rain gear on. So do not be afraid to get wet. It is after all only water. Slow down a little, stay in middle lane if possible. I find that the wind screen kicks the water coming over the top into my eye level. I also have been warned through the years not to use "rain-x" at all. I put car wax on my visor and water rolls right off.

Spyder Garage

Default Riding in the Rain

Living in Oregon , the land of liquid sunshine , is one of the reasons we went to the Spyders .ke is SLOW DOWN , Mike is right and carry good rain gear . We have spent 300 mile days in the rain in February and with heated jackets we have extended our riding days . We try to stay off the Super Slab as the spray from the 18 wheelers are not fun . Carry extra gloves and make sure you waterproof your boots and enjoy the ride .
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I agree with the "stay off the SS" - but I avoid riding in the rain whenever possible. I have a $20 rain suit from Costo that covers the few times I can't...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default can't avoid rain

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    I agree with the "stay off the SS" - but I avoid riding in the rain whenever possible. I have a $20 rain suit from Costo that covers the few times I can't...
    down here in south florida you would end up not riding all summer if you plan on riding after 12.during the summer time if we go out planning to ride for the day it's almost 100% sure we will hit a rain shower ( actually feels good ),10 miles later we're nice and dry

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i never get wet, do like i do. look at the forecast and stay home

Spyder Garage

Good gear: Waterproofed textiles or those pull over rubber rain suits (ala Frogg Toggs) work well.

Slow down a bit. Driving through standing water at over 50 mph is asking for your to hydroplane. Not a fun experience. Been there and done that.

When all else fails, time to pull off the road and wait the deluge out.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-17-2014 at 02:59 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

a little off the subject.. but pertaining to rain... pack a few pairs of exam rubber gloves... they KEEP YOUR HANDS DRY... and they are cheap...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the good info Folks. I don't want rain to hold up my riding. Beautiful day here in the Low Country. Threw Mama on the back and hit the rode for a bit. She loves it more then I do I think. I sure do get a lot of xtra hugs when we are on the Spyder!,,,

Spyder Garage

Cool Rain is easy. its the hail that hurts!!

Quote Originally Posted by SubDriver View Post
    Driving thru the Smokey Mountains yesterday (4 wheels) it was raining pretty heavy. Saw a lot of bikers heading west. I have only been in the rain one time on my Rt and didn't expect it. Had to pull off the road. What is the trick to riding in the rain?
    When we were driving home from the lake it started to rain lightly.We kept on driving @100km.Then the rain turned into quarter sized hail! I was laughing at myself and my husband. We watched the hail bounce off of our helmets! At that point we pulled over to the side of the highway.Just another quality experience on our spyders.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hail is NOT fun...
    I don't think that it could do any damage to the plastic bodywork on a Spyder, but it sure can sting!