Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default slingshot curious?????

curious how many of you that were looking for a new spyder, might just take a look at the slingshot after last nights intro?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll admit to wanting to SEE one up close; but the introduction of the 2015 Spyders had nothing to do with that.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

would like to see a slingshot, not interested in changing over to one.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Speaking for someone who doesn't own a spyder, but is in the market for one, I see the spyder as a 3 wheeled bike and the slingshot as a 3 wheeled car. I would not compare the 2. If I was considering a slingshot, I would be comparing it to a small convertible like the miata, saturn sky, or honda 2000. I know they don't make the sky anymore, but it is still a sweet looking ride.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I'd like to drive one. nothing to do with the 15's or spyders in general. different ride IMO.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post
    I'd like to drive one. nothing to do with the 15's or spyders in general. different ride IMO.
    I will keep my Spyder and add the Slingshot to the toy box

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Curious to see and drive it, but I agree... its not really a bike, IMO.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Speaking for someone who doesn't own a spyder, but is in the market for one, I see the spyder as a 3 wheeled bike and the slingshot as a 3 wheeled car. I would not compare the 2. If I was considering a slingshot, I would be comparing it to a small convertible like the miata, saturn sky, or honda 2000. I know they don't make the sky anymore, but it is still a sweet looking ride.
    Exactly my thoughts. As someone who's been a motorcyclist for 34 years, a Spyder fits with my mojo. It still has handlebars and a saddle; it's still a bike. Once you put me in a bucket seat with a steering wheel in front of me, that's a car driving experience. To me, Slingshot is just a convertible with a top that doesn't go up, an Ariel Atom with lousy handling, or a Jeep CJ with really, really lousy off-road performance.

2013 RS-S SM5 [His] • 2021 RT Base [Hers] • 1977 Bultaco custom roadster • 1974 Harley-Davidson/Aermacchi 350 SS

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Slingshot

I've seen the slingshot, haven't been able to test drive one yet but did manage to sit in it. I'm very interested now that I know I can get in and out of one, especially after last night's fiasco with the new 2015 Spyder. I was hoping for a change in the headlights on the RTs and something different on the back end. Seems like the intend to get bigger and bigger with more models and I just might have to get away from BRP. As far as people talking about the slingshot, I'm warning you it's a lot bigger than it appears in the pictures. I'll be able to test drive it the end of October and there's a real good chance placing an order at the same time. I'm 73 years young and I'm looking for comfort and this has it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The slingshot definitely strikes me as 3 wheeled car. You sit in it, not on, drive with a foot clutch and brake and stick shift identical to auto (except no automatic transmission available)

Spyder Garage

I like the SlingShot but really want one with full or at least semi auto. Also no dealers have been listed yet for my state.

Spyder Garage

Lamont has described the f3 as sitting "in it", not on it....although the slingshot is certainly lower to the ground.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Thumbs down

It is a choice I'm looking at. My rss 2012 has been in the shop non stop, the dealer tells me BRP has a great reputation but BRP isn't taking care of me no matter how much I scream

the new RSS is gaudy and doesn't have any upgrades to the engine for either performance or efficiency... I now consider the RSS a dead platform

the F3 is great but I don't want a cruiser riding position, I like the sporty feel of feet behind you, head towards the car in front of you

while the slingshot is a car, I want something fun that gives me a thrill and isn't constantly being repaired... BRP and Polaris were competing for the same dollars in my pocket and unless I find a test ride of the f3 to be better than expected,Polaris will get my money

Current Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2015 Spyder F3-S with Heated Handle Grips, Gauge Spoiler, Fog Lights, 12V port, Akrapovic Exhaust, Driver and Passenger Backrests

Previous Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2012 Spyder RS-S with Can-Am Comfort Seat, Comfort Grips, Rigid Saddle Bags, HID lights, Fog Lghts, 12V Accessory port, Trunk Liner, Hindle exhaust, Flash2Pass, SpyderPops BumpSkid, Side Grilles, Missing Air Dam, Air Management System, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Default Slingshot or Not

Drove a very similar vehicle to the Slingshot that was made in China. Much lower power than the Slingshot but still fun to drive. Had not driven a spyder by that time. Went to the Spyder dealer and after driving the Spyder I was sold. I think it is the most fun you can have on 3 wheels. I like sitting higher with my beautiful wife sitting behind me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dguisinger View Post
    My rss 2012 has been in the shop non stop, the dealer tells me BRP has a great reputation but BRP isn't taking care of me no matter how much I scream...

...I want something fun that gives me a thrill and isn't constantly being repaired... BRP and Polaris were competing for the same dollars in my pocket
    If you believe that BRP is shoddy quality, talk to some Polaris snowmobile or watercraft owners before you make the switch. I'm not dogging Polaris because I personally think they're a great company, just saying that there are as many Polaris bashers as there are BRP bashers in the world.

2013 RS-S SM5 [His] • 2021 RT Base [Hers] • 1977 Bultaco custom roadster • 1974 Harley-Davidson/Aermacchi 350 SS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

THE DEALER TOLD ME THAT THE SLING SHOT front end is as wide a a corvette, i will be test driving one as soon as they get their demo in but really have no interest in it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My understanding is the Slingshot won't be out til July 2015. That being said I will be waiting to test one out with a high interest to buy one. probably will not have to charge the battery each time I want to take it for a ride.

'It's not a bike', how many times have I heard that about the SpYder? Way to many. If the slingshot is $20,000.00, the price of a Spyder should come way down!!

Spyder Garage

Default trike vs car

IMHO the sling shot is a 3 wheeled car. We own a Honda 2000 and the sling shot does not even come close in comparison. I will stick with my RTL.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It won't... they're not direct competitors. There is enough to differentiate between them in the marketplace, that their pricing will remain intact.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybob View Post
    My understanding is the Slingshot won't be out til July 2015. That being said I will be waiting to test one out with a high interest to buy one. probably will not have to charge the battery each time I want to take it for a ride.

'It's not a bike', how many times have I heard that about the SpYder? Way to many. If the slingshot is $20,000.00, the price of a Spyder should come way down!!
    they already have one up in lancaster, nh if my info is correct at the polaris dealer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Slingshot will be in dealers showrooms sometime in October. The price is pretty good. I'll check one out at a dealer. I wonder when outside manufacturers will start making farkles for it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yeah, our local dealers are getting their first Slingshot deliveries in October.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default slingshot

i just saw my first 2 slingshots this week end. I wouldn't be selling my spyder just yet, maybe go look at one first. not impressed

Spyder Garage

I would sure like to look and maybe test drive. Don't think I will replace either of the 's. If I bought a slingshot, one of the 's would have to go.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default No change..!!

slingshot is in the car catagory along with the T-rex, elio, morgan etc. I have a car... really happy with what I have so I am of little help in your research...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black