Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Mine may be getting better. We have put close to 1,500 since the last tire change and belt adjustment. I ended setting it closer to 240 on the Cricket this and it seemed to help. Also a factor is that we are pulling trailer now so it may be helping with some dampening "drag". Not sure.

Spyder Garage

My 2014 RT had the same vibration at around 72 mph. Mentioned this to dealer when in for service. Belt was out of alignment. All is well now.

Spyder Garage

Default Same Vibration

i felt it on the way home from picking mine up new. right around 72 to 73 started. would also feel it when letting off throttle a little anywhere in the 70's. Call dealer and spoke to mech who said "thats normal ill check it when you bring it in for the 600 mile service and it will go away or youll get use to it." that must be in all the BRP service manuals since it sounds like thats the stat answer from most of the dealers. ask him about a belt tenisioner and he said i wouldn't do that. just give it some time. but ill check the tension when you bring it in. So guess ill just wait till after the 600 mile service and if its still there ill add the tensioner.

2014 RT Limited, #0085 Silver Platinum Satin with Black Seat
    Spyderpops Bump Skid Plate, Belt Guard, IPS, SS Knott Grilles,
    Show Chrome Luggage Rack, Passenger Arm Rest, 3 pc Lid Net Set,
    Smart Mount Driver Backrest, Windshield Dash Pouch System,
    TRICLED Blinkers and Brake Lights.
    Too Many Toys and Not Enough Time!!

Spyder Garage

The 70 - 75 is ticket time here, so fortunately, have not had to test the waters.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member granpa in Cincy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SAR41 View Post
    i felt it on the way home from picking mine up new. right around 72 to 73 started. would also feel it when letting off throttle a little anywhere in the 70's. Call dealer and spoke to mech who said "thats normal ill check it when you bring it in for the 600 mile service and it will go away or youll get use to it." that must be in all the BRP service manuals since it sounds like thats the stat answer from most of the dealers. ask him about a belt tenisioner and he said i wouldn't do that. just give it some time. but ill check the tension when you bring it in. So guess ill just wait till after the 600 mile service and if its still there ill add the tensioner.

First service is at 3000 miles not 600 miles!
    2014 RT S SE6 Cognac. Built on 12/20/13.
    2014 VW EOS 2.0 TSI replaced the RT S 5/22/2017

Spyder Garage

Default 1st Service

Quote Originally Posted by granpa in Cincy View Post
    First service is at 3000 miles not 600 miles!
    my saleman told me 600 for1st service. then next one i think he said around 4000.
    I would think 3000 would be alot for the first one. The Can Am Commander XT 1000 I bought a couple years ago was 1000 for the first. But they do get abused a lot harder than the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

It is in the manual at 3,000. Your dealer is either unaware of the change in initial service interval (which is bad) or making more money from an unnecessary oil change (which is worse)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    It is in the manual at 3,000. Your dealer is either unaware of the change in initial service interval (which is bad) or making more money from an unnecessary oil change (which is worse)
    Agreed.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

my saleman told me 600 for1st service. then next one i think he said around 4000.
    I would think 3000 would be alot for the first one. The Can Am Commander XT 1000 I bought a couple years ago was 1000 for the first. But they do get abused a lot harder than the Spyder.
    Ditto on first service for the 2014 RT's being at 3,000 miles. Second service is 9,300 miles after that, OR, once a year, whichever comes first. No valve adjustment services required either.

A totally different schedule on the 1330's compared to the Rotax 990's. Your dealer should know better. Your manual has the information.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Spoke to dealer today.

I call my dealer and spoke to the service dept. They said 3000 just like the book said. It was my salesman that told me the 600. He was out today. Will let him know he need to read the new manual. Thanks for the heads up. I had glanced thru the manual but hadn't really looked at the maintenance schedule close because I had the 600 miles in my mind for the first service. But did look at it and all of ya'll are right, 3000 miles first service. I even have the pdf downloaded on my computer. Just need to read closer next time.

Thanks again!!

Spyder Garage

I call my dealer and spoke to the service dept. They said 3000 just like the book said. It was my salesman that told me the 600. He was out today. Will let him know he need to read the new manual. Thanks for the heads up. I had glanced thru the manual but hadn't really looked at the maintenance schedule close because I had the 600 miles in my mind for the first service. But did look at it and all of ya'll are right, 3000 miles first service. I even have the pdf downloaded on my computer. Just need to read closer next time.

Thanks again!!
    We all hit a zinger once in a while.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks again!!
    Your welcome. There also is another thread you might want to follow concerning oil shearing. Some of us are a little concerned that 9,200 miles is too long and causes too much breakdown in the BRP oil. I did a drain and fill on my BRP oil at 4,000 miles. As soon as I get back I will send a sample off it off to see how much breakdown. It should be a good conservative estimate. I don't beat on the bike when I ride, but I have occasionally grabbed 3rd gear to get around someone on a two lane. Never above 7K at the most. Bike must like me, though. It has not used a drop of oil in about 1600 miles on our New England trip! That thread is in the ACE 1130 area. Make sure you set that salesman straight of he will tell someone else the same bull

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Mine vibrates and I don't like it. Dealer said belt needed adjusted vibration now at higher speed but still there.

Spyder Garage

Smile Vibrations Between 70 and 80 MPH

Everybody that has a Spyder must get this Rotary Drive Belt Tensioner. I put it on my 2012 RT Limited. Yes I Tighten my belt to specs. Still had some vibrations. I now have a new spyder did not know I had that much Vibration. The best $250.00 I have every spent. I did not know the spyder could be this smooth. I am tell you all this is great.
    He has a demo on youtube you can get his site there but he only sell on Ebay MY key word ( Can Am Spyder RT Rotary Tensioner ) His email is jim@smoothspyder.com. I AM TELL YOU IT IS WELL BUILD AND IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ONE YOU ARE MISS OUT ON A SMOOTHSPYDER

Spyder Garage

Default Belt Vibrates

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Anyone else feeling a vibe around 70 to 80? Sometimes its lower 70s, sometime upper 70s to 80. It goes away with a little more speed. Feels different from the vibration I had on the 2011. Feels more like its coming from the engine. I will try to see what RPM it is when its doing it. Hopefully I can ride it this afternoon and tomorrow. Just seeing if anyone else is noticing it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Ask your mechanic to show you this document: "ROADSTER Belt Vibration_000030176_TST61Y014S05_en"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sometimes; you can play with the belt tension a bit to tune it to where you normally don't spend much time riding...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

ours was vibrating at 80 mph up.. just turned 4000 on 2015 RT
    .. Had it down to install trailer hitch. I left the rear wheel off the ground and set belt to 3/4 twist. sat it on the ground and it was closer to 5/8 twist. Took it out and ran it up to 90 mph.. no vibration at any time.. under load or even under power in to high a gear.. I checked the belt travel is about 1 1/4 at mid point.. It is definately a lot looser than when it came from the dealer.. We have not had it 2up yet.. but will and if any noticable difference, I will report..A comment like it is what it is, is not an answer..

Spyder Garage

Mine vibrates at 74 but not at 73. I'll speed up next time and see if it goes away.
    2019 Black F3-T

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default looser tension no vibration

Well all went well. No vibration at all. Not sure if any damage will occur with lack of tension. but if the vibration goes away I'm in with both feet.. Good luck out there getting your dealers to get it right at some point in your ownership..

Spyder Garage

Default Vibes...

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Yep, it still could be. I never put a tentioner on the 11. I just dealt with it. I just making sure its not something specific on my bike. Of course any time you bring it in for vibs, your gonna get "that's normal". Of course it could be weight related as well, im a big boy. Not saying that it is causing the issue, but it could make it more pronounced.
    Mine was driving me nuts from about 65 to 72. Smooth SPYDER belt tensioner stopped it.

Ron

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post
    Smooth SPYDER belt tensioner stopped it.
    The word on the street is that his new model Smooth Spyder tensioner is now available.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaBill View Post
    Mine vibrates at 74 but not at 73. I'll speed up next time and see if it goes away.
    I rode some Saturday in the 72-77 range, and experienced some vibration that kind of rolled on/off, kind of like it was resonating if that makes sense.

I noticed my rear wheel has 12 lead balancing weights, which really seems like a lot to me. The wheel or the Kenda must be really out of balance.

-Bill
    2019 Black F3-T

Spyder Garage

Post Vibration at 70 + MPH

I use to feel a vibration at 70 or higher MPH but I don't feel it anymore. I was told that the belt was new and once it wears down by the grear that the vibration would cease and they must be correct, because I don't feel any vibration and I have ridden it up to 95 MPH.

I don't usually drive that fast but I wanted to check to see if the vibration was truly gone.

Blade

Spyder Garage

Smile vibrations at high speeds

Quote Originally Posted by Nils888 View Post
    I have the same vibration on mine. It happens at 70MPH and up. I notice it most at cruse and just a bit under power.

I will probably try a belt tensioner. Farkle

Hi I have had 3 RTs. 12 13 14. They all had vibrations starting around 74 mph. I have a belt tensioner on the 14. It helps but don't cure. I still get the vibs in the 80s. I think there are two issues with the vibrations. When under power, the bottom of the belt vibrates. For that, the tensioner will help. At the higher speeds and the engine "floating" the top of the belt vibrates. It's rather pronounced and annoying riding 2 up pulling a trailer. I'm afraid it's just the nature of the beast. Ron