Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default RIDE REPORT - ELKA'S FITTED

OK, so the Elka's arrived yesterday, the 1+ R.

Installation was very easy... Remove Upper side panel and front (where the fog light goes).
    Jack up the front just enough so the wheel(s) are just off the ground... this takes the pressure off the stock shocks and makes them easier to get off.
    Two bolts either side... M10's - 15mm short socket on one side and a flat wrench on the other... remove the top then the bottom and slide out the bottom.
    Do everything in reverse and wiggle the shocks a little if the bolt won't go through easy. You may need to drop the front a little on the jack to get the holes lined up better.

Torque specs for the bolts (Top and bottom, both sides) are 45 NM... This is not Ft Lbs!!! Don't get it wrong otherwise you'll snap the bolt, like someone I know did!

I tightened the springs a little and also the rebound for my liking.
    I was a little worried in the garage as the bike had more side to side play then when I'd tightened the Fox shocks and thought these wouldn't be strong enough for my style of riding (Hard through the twisties).

Anyway, got the Spyder out this morning and I can happily report that it's much better!
    The twisties are easily taken now, with much less effort... Actually got one wheel off the ground due to pushing it hard!!
    Takes bumps great and don't feel them and even the ruts in the road are less of a hassle... doesn't push you left & right.
    I think I need to tighten the springs a little bit more (For me) but I'm extremely happy with the purchase.

The Spyder should have come from the factory like this. (They look pretty good too!)

IMAG1384_zpsr6jhhbx1.jpg
    Installing The First One!

IMAG1386_zpsflkurgft.jpg
    Right Side... Love the Black & Red!
    IMAG1385_zpsirqkcnfw.jpg
    Left Side...
    Last edited by zamfield; 09-21-2014 at 05:16 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that you're really liking what they did for your bike!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I thought they did a great job on mine too
    Last edited by sddinnh; 09-21-2014 at 05:20 PM.

Spyder Garage

Saw you mention Fox Shox...Are you planning to part with them? Might be interested.

PK

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default New shocks

Quote Originally Posted by zamfield View Post
    OK, so the Elka's arrived yesterday, the 1+ R.

Installation was very easy... Remove Upper side panel and front (where the fog light goes).
    Jack up the front just enough so the wheel(s) are just off the ground... this takes the pressure off the stock shocks and makes them easier to get off.
    Two bolts either side... M10's - 15mm short socket on one side and a flat wrench on the other... remove the top then the bottom and slide out the bottom.
    Do everything in reverse and wiggle the shocks a little if the bolt won't go through easy. You may need to drop the front a little on the jack to get the holes lined up better.

Torque specs for the bolts (Top and bottom, both sides) are 45 NM... This is not Ft Lbs!!! Don't get it wrong otherwise you'll snap the bolt, like someone I know did!

I tightened the springs a little and also the rebound for my liking.
    I was a little worried in the garage as the bike had more side to side play then when I'd tightened the Fox shocks and thought these wouldn't be strong enough for my style of riding (Hard through the twisties).

Anyway, got the Spyder out this morning and I can happily report that it's much better!
    The twisties are easily taken now, with much less effort... Actually got one wheel off the ground due to pushing it hard!!
    Takes bumps great and don't feel them and even the ruts in the road are less of a hassle... doesn't push you left & right.
    I think I need to tighten the springs a little bit more (For me) but I'm extremely happy with the purchase.

The Spyder should have come from the factory like this. (They look pretty good too!)

IMAG1384_zpsr6jhhbx1.jpg
    Installing The First One!

IMAG1386_zpsflkurgft.jpg
    Right Side... Love the Black & Red!
    IMAG1385_zpsirqkcnfw.jpg
    Left Side...
    Interesting post

I though that the NANNY wouldn't let you lift a wheel in hard turns. At least that is what my dealer told me. True not true.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

it won't in so much as when it sensors it, it drops power until its back down.
    The wheel however comes off he ground quicker than the nanny can react!!

Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 rts with elkas +R baha ron sway bar and endlinks federal 595 tires and brp blade wheels iam a extreme spyder rider and I can hang a tire anytime I want pretty much I have made adjustments to the shocks and my canam is a force to be reckoned with in the twisties I love it

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderman526 View Post
    I have a 2014 rts with elkas +R baha ron sway bar and endlinks federal 595 tires and brp blade wheels iam a extreme spyder rider and I can hang a tire anytime I want pretty much I have made adjustments to the shocks and my canam is a force to be reckoned with in the twisties I love it
    We should get together in the twistes up on rt 250 / 33 in WV... scare the locals! LOL!