Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default What Roads Prohibit Trailers

When we purchased our 2014 RT-L, we also purchased the RT-622 trailer. This is the first trailer we have pulled/owned ever. I understand that there are roads that prohibit the use of trailers, but I'm having a helluva time trying to find a resource that I can use when trip planning. I don't want to be on a trip and suddenly be confronted with a "trailers prohibited" sign. Can anyone point me in the right direction for getting this type of info? (AAA was useless). Thanks!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have pulled trailers cost to cost, small ones, big ones, and not so good of ones. Never have I encountered a "No Trailer" sign. Put that one out of your mind and go have fun.

Spyder Garage

Default PROPANE

IT USE TO BE THAT A TRAILER WITH A 'PROPANE' BOTTLE WERE PROHIBITED FROM ENTERING TUNNELS IN SOME STATES... BUT I HAVEN'T SEEN THAT SIGN IN 40 YEARS...
    JUST GO AND ENJOY YOUR RIDE...

Spyder Garage

Cool

There are someplaces in New York you are not allowed to pull a trailer. This may help

htt://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/07/automobiles/07PARKWAYS.html?

Good luck

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default As I see it..!!

most trailer related signs are limited to semi's and large personal trailers. They will post speed limits when pulling them hazardous materials allowed and wind restrictions.(mountains and plains with high winds will close) Other than that you can go anywhere especially in as small a set up as these...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks ALL.....this takes a load of my mind!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default I'm with Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
    I have pulled trailers cost to cost, small ones, big ones, and not so good of ones. Never have I encountered a "No Trailer" sign. Put that one out of your mind and go have fun.
    but Did encounter this when I rode to the top of Pike's Peak this year....but they had a very safe place I could leave it until I "came back down". Now I have seen roads that limit length..and trust me our 622's aren't even close. So load 'er up...and enjoy your journey.

Spyder Garage

Default Trailer prohibition

Near you I think the only places you might encounter a prohibition is on the NY Parkways such as the Sawmill River Pkwy, Bronx River Pkwy, Taconic State Pkwy, etc. These used to prohibit commercial vehicles and trailers, but I'm not sure if that is still in effect.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mindman View Post
    Thanks ALL.....this takes a load of my mind!

...And puts it back in the trailer; where it belongs!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Pulling a trailer

Hi Dave here,
    I have pulled a trailer with a motorcycle since 1976 all over the USA , Canada and parts of Mexico
    and have never come to a road that I could not pull a trailer on.There were a few I should not have,
    I have no idea where you got the information that there are roads in the USA you cant pull a trailer
    PLEASE do me and others a favor and post any roads you find that don't allow them ...
    Dave

When we purchased our 2014 RT-L, we also purchased the RT-622 trailer. This is the first trailer we have pulled/owned ever. I understand that there are roads that prohibit the use of trailers, but I'm having a helluva time trying to find a resource that I can use when trip planning. I don't want to be on a trip and suddenly be confronted with a "trailers prohibited" sign. Can anyone point me in the right direction for getting this type of info? (AAA was useless). Thanks!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't think you can pull a trailer on the "Going to the Sun" road in Glacier NP. Bit that may be for camping trailers, etc. it's a problem if you're traveling through, because unlike Pikes Peak, you're not just going up & back down the same way.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    IT USE TO BE THAT A TRAILER WITH A 'PROPANE' BOTTLE WERE PROHIBITED FROM ENTERING TUNNELS IN SOME STATES... BUT I HAVEN'T SEEN THAT SIGN IN 40 YEARS...
    JUST GO AND ENJOY YOUR RIDE...
    There are some tunnels on Hwy 25 in Tenn that prohibit trailers that have propane.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Hi Dave here,
    I have pulled a trailer with a motorcycle since 1976 all over the USA , Canada and parts of Mexico
    and have never come to a road that I could not pull a trailer on.There were a few I should not have,
    I have no idea where you got the information that there are roads in the USA you cant pull a trailer
    PLEASE do me and others a favor and post any roads you find that don't allow them ..Dave
    . not to worry, life is too short

Spyder Garage

All of the Parkways in CT & NY prohibit trailers. I called the state police in both states & that is what I was told.

Edit: I did specifically ask about motorcycle trailers.
    Last edited by oldguyinTX; 09-10-2014 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Additional Info
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Trailer

Your trailer is a small trailer those signs you see are probably for 18-wheeler trailer because of the weight or height. You dont have anything to worry about.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Not a problem on Hiway to the Sun...

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I don't think you can pull a trailer on the "Going to the Sun" road in Glacier NP. Bit that may be for camping trailers, etc. it's a problem if you're traveling through, because unlike Pikes Peak, you're not just going up & back down the same way.
    At least not with our small motorcycle trailers....now RV, etc. that is a diff "animal"...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    All of the Parkways in CT & NY prohibit trailers. I called the state police in both states & that is what I was told.
    I knew there was a reason we never traveled to the north east.

Spyder Garage

I do not recall ever seeing a no-trailer sign. The information is eye opening for sure. Thanks all, for posting what you know and have encountered.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default trailers

In Houston, Trailers are not allowed in the HOV lanes.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post

Edit: I did specifically ask about motorcycle trailers.
    Looks like with a few rare exceptions it's parkways in CT and NY (Merritt Parkway, etc) This is good to know. As Bob D. suggested...I'll take that load off my mind and put it in the trailer.....well...maybe on top of the trailer so it falls off en route to Spyderquest !

Spyder Garage

...and to make matters worse....when ya hit a toll road in that area...ya get charged the exorbitant "with a trailer fee!!" Except PA...our Goldwing friends in PA successfully lobbied their legislature and got a motorcycle w/ trailer exemption passed

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fispyder View Post
    There are some tunnels on Hwy 25 in Tenn that prohibit trailers that have propane.
    All tunnels prohibit propane appliances from operating. We have to turn off our propane refer in the camper when going through tunnels. Also the Dragons tail has signs that state no trailers, but they are for campers not motorcycle trailers.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    At least not with our small motorcycle trailers....now RV, etc. that is a diff "animal"...
    I think you're probably right, Karyl.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

if pulling any trailer in Calif -- the speed limit is 55 mph -- you can try pulling faster but will risk getting a ticket

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    From the Glacier National Park website.

Are there vehicle size restrictions on the Going-to-the-Sun Road?
    Yes. To help reduce congestion, vehicle size restrictions are in effect. Vehicles, and vehicle combinations, longer than 21 feet (including bumpers) or wider than 8 feet (including mirrors), are prohibited between Avalanche Campground and the Rising Sun picnic area parking. Vehicle and vehicle combinations over 10 feet in height may have difficulty driving west from Logan Pass to the Loop, due to rock overhangs. Stock trucks and trailers are able to access Packers Roost on the west, and Siyeh Bend on the east.
    My RT plus trailer is 17' so there'd be no problem with an R-622.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)