Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TIRE QUESTION

....To 8 legs NZ......They will not bother the NANNY.........The circumference is very close to that of the OEM Kenda...............and the speedo is from the rear wheel anyway ...................Mikeguyver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....To 8 legs NZ......They will not bother the NANNY.........The circumference is very close to that of the OEM Kenda...............and the speedo is from the rear wheel anyway ...................Mikeguyver

that is a huge difference in rolling circumference, the o.d. on the 65 series is 22.44" while the 55 series is 21.15". that makes
    well over a 5% varience. with that big of a difference there will probably be a handling difference & it will probably affect the
    abs braking system.

Spyder Garage

Default BS

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    that is a huge difference in rolling circumference, the o.d. on the 65 series is 22.44" while the 55 series is 21.15". that makes
    well over a 5% varience. with that big of a difference there will probably be a handling difference & it will probably affect the
    abs braking system.
    .........IF YOU HAD READ MY ENTIRE ORIGINAL POST ( see # 24 ) ON THIS ISSUE .........I HAVE THIS SIZE TIRE ON MY SPYDER ....IT DOESN'T EFFECT ANYTHING .......................PERIOD ..............Mikeguyver .....PS....circumference and O.D. are not the same ........
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 09-06-2014 at 11:11 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Approximately a 6% difference...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Approximately a 6% difference...
    72.25 INCHES vs 71 inches = 6 % ........I was never good in math but I don't think this is correct.....Mikeguyver

Spyder Garage

72.25 INCHES vs 71 inches = 6 % ........I was never good in math but I don't think this is correct.....Mikeguyver
    Going from 72.25 to 71 is a 1.73% drop. Going the other way from 71 to 72.25 is a 1.76% increase.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

May be I will have to change all Three tires to the 55 size so ABS will be ok ?? may be

Spyder Garage

Default OMG

Quote Originally Posted by 8 legs nz View Post
    May be I will have to change all Three tires to the 55 size so ABS will be ok ?? may be
    ......NZ, you really,really,really need to follow Spyderlovers a little more frequently......This topic has been discussed about a skakillion times and very recently.................., The front and rear tires do not have to match in size....not width, not circumference, not aspect ratio, they only have to come close to the OEM tire size..............I hope this clears this up for you......................

Spyder Garage

Default SUPER STICKY TIRES

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I would really like to find a stiffer sidewall sticky tire for the front on 13s and newer using the 15" wheels. I am really not a fan of the soft sidewall kendas for cornering stability.

Those Yokohamas look interesting if they had a 15 that would work.
    .....This may be what you are looking for ........Yokohama doesn't , however Toyo does ...Proxces T 1 r , 185/55-15 , they are V rated, excellent wet / dry, 280 UTOQ and stick like glue, this is most likely the absolutely widest tire you can fit on a 14 RT......I have them ....But I also have the old style fenders and it's a tight fit .....not because of the plastic, but because of the front fender bracket.......How the extended plastic on the inside of the newer fenders would come into play I can't say.............Mikeguyver ....................I paid $ 57 + shipping @ TIRERACK .....go look at them they are sweet.
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 09-06-2014 at 08:24 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

......NZ, you really,really,really need to follow Spyderlovers a little more frequently......This topic has been discussed about a skakillion times and very recently.................., The front and rear tires do not have to match in size....not width, not circumference, not aspect ratio, they only have to come close to the OEM tire size..............I hope this clears this up for you......................
    Are you going to be like this say two weeks down the track when some one ask the same thing skakillion times I don't spend that long on here ever day buy the looks of 3500 posts that you have you spend some time fine but you don't have to be like MAN ok
    all site's like this are people helping riders is there a discussed folder that I can goto to see all the past , I have not found one yet

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

How close in size can I go then

Spyder Garage

.....This may be what you are looking for ........Yokohama doesn't , however Toyo does ...Proxces T 1 r , 185/55-15 , they are V rated, excellent wet / dry, 280 UTOQ and stick like glue, this is most likely the absolutely widest tire you can fit on a 14 RT......I have them ....But I also have the old style fenders and it's a tight fit .....not because of the plastic, but because of the front fender bracket.......How the extended plastic on the inside of the newer fenders would come into play I can't say.............Mikeguyver ....................I paid $ 57 + shipping @ TIRERACK .....go look at them they are sweet.

Thanks, those look exactly like what I would want, not sure on the fit with the newer style fenders that hug the tire pretty close. Another rider here in Houston bought 185s and had to do a bunch of work to move the fender, and it does not look great, but they were not THOSE Toyo tires. Maybe I'll call around and see if there are some locally. i could buy and mount one and try it. But the added width is doubtful with the newer fenders.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

The Toyo was my favorite by a large margin. I tried the Kuhmo but not nearly as good of a ride as the Toyo and it weighs more...

Spyder Garage

Default ANSWERS TO SUBJECTS

Are you going to be like this say two weeks down the track when some one ask the same thing skakillion times I don't spend that long on here ever day buy the looks of 3500 posts that you have you spend some time fine but you don't have to be like MAN ok
    all site's like this are people helping riders is there a discussed folder that I can goto to see all the past , I have not found one yet
    ........................NZ.....In the upper right hand corner , when you open any page you will see a large white line ....under it it will say " advanced search " type in " what you are looking for hit enter and possibilities will show up..........scan them for what applies best to you ........​On your second ? .....TIRERACK.COM is an excellent resource for tire comparisons as to sizes.......BECAUSE.....not all 225/50-15 tires are exactly the same ...........all size tires vary somewhat from manufacturer to manufacturer .......the Tire Rack will give you the info of that exact tire you are looking at.................and the circumference of the TIRE is what the " NANNY " is going to recognize......annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd there is only so much that you will be able to DEVIATE in any case .............As long as you stick with STOCK size RIMS ( diameter & width ) .......your concerns are with fender and fender bracket clearance....................IMHO ..I don't think there is any size tire that will fit the OEM rims that will upset the " NANNY " ....................................I sincerely hope this has helped you in your quest for answers ......Mikeguyver

Spyder Garage

Default TIRE FITMENT

Thanks, those look exactly like what I would want, not sure on the fit with the newer style fenders that hug the tire pretty close. Another rider here in Houston bought 185s and had to do a bunch of work to move the fender, and it does not look great, but they were not THOSE Toyo tires. Maybe I'll call around and see if there are some locally. i could buy and mount one and try it. But the added width is doubtful with the newer fenders.
    .........I'm really squeezed for time right now ( Spyderquest in 3 days ), but if you can wait a couple of weeks I'll try and mount my Toyo's onto my GF's RTS ( with the tight fenders ).........The clearances arn't the real issue with the tire change ....the problem is the design of the new wheels .....because of the tight spoke pattern you cannot angle the wheel to get it off ....it hits the Brembo calipers......so you have to loosen all four fender bracket arm bolts almost completely to move the fender so you can get the tire off ...........it's very time consuming ...especially if it's four wheels ........let me know ......Mike .....................and the black wheels look great on my white RT

Spyder Garage

ABS will be fine. It doesn't care what size the tire is, just the rotational movement. Not commenting on the nanny, just the ABS.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post
    Anyone heard anything the new new arachnid tires.
    Ron
    Lamont put one on his Spyder and after a short time determined it was not acceptable for Spyders. Lamonster Garage will not mount them and Pit Bull Powersports will not sell them.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

........................NZ.....In the upper right hand corner , when you open any page you will see a large white line ....under it it will say " advanced search " type in " what you are looking for hit enter and possibilities will show up..........scan them for what applies best to you ........​On your second ? .....TIRERACK.COM is an excellent resource for tire comparisons as to sizes.......BECAUSE.....not all 225/50-15 tires are exactly the same ...........all size tires vary somewhat from manufacturer to manufacturer .......the Tire Rack will give you the info of that exact tire you are looking at.................and the circumference of the TIRE is what the " NANNY " is going to recognize......annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd there is only so much that you will be able to DEVIATE in any case .............As long as you stick with STOCK size RIMS ( diameter & width ) .......your concerns are with fender and fender bracket clearance....................IMHO ..I don't think there is any size tire that will fit the OEM rims that will upset the " NANNY " ....................................I sincerely hope this has helped you in your quest for answers ......Mikeguyver
    A Big Thank you for that Mikeguvver.

Spyder Garage

Anyone running these and can report back? They look interesting.
    I have a couple thousand miles on 2014 Spyder RT-S SE6 front Federal 165-55-15 tires with the stiffer sidewall 75 rating.
    The front tires stick well in high speed corners, sharp corners & in light rain in mountains of Arizona I ride!!
    Federal tires eliminated the constant vibration of stock junk Kenda tires.
    http://www.onlinetires.com/user/vehi...allbrands.html

With rear Kumho AST 225-50-15 tire with 91 rating sidewall RT feels on rails in corners!!
    These 4 ply rated tires are what should come stock on new Spyders from BRP!!!
    Enjoy the ryde.
    Jim

Spyder Garage

Default tires q

What brand and size car tires did you use?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Master View Post
    I've had car tires on the front for a couple of years and found they improve handling and stability. I would not go back.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was looking at his numbers for the diameter, rather than your's for circumference.
    And that IS a correct percentage for his...

Spyder Garage

Default DIAMETER

I was looking at his numbers for the diameter, rather than your's for circumference.
    And that IS a correct percentage for his...
    .....Bob if I've this once I've said this a thousand times ....DIAMETER is almost meaningless as a measurement for accurate TIRE SIZE ...this is why I only use CIRCUMFERENCE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why??
    The two measurements are completely and inextricably entwined...
    Change one, and other other one changes by the exact same percentage; every time!

Just for fun: give me the exact tire measurements that we're discussing, I'll punch them into the tire size comparison website... and then post the results!

Spyder Garage

Default UNBELIEVEABLE !!!!!!

Why??
    The two measurements are completely and inextricably entwined...
    Change one, and other other one changes by the exact same percentage; every time!

Just for fun: give me the exact tire measurements that we're discussing, I'll punch them into the tire size comparison website... and then post the results!
    ​.......Robert , I can absolutely GUARANTEE you this .....(.As I told NZ earlier ) ......The same tire size made by 20 different companies are going to have ....20....different circumferences .....but exactly the same DIAMETER ............this is why ...the diameter is almost meaningless ........................annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd the tire size comparison chart is a Mathematical formula .........and does not take into account the individual molds that each company uses for their Tires....................Do you think the GE 21 cu.ft refrigerator is the exact same size as a 21 cu.ft. Kenmore ????? or 21 cu.ft. Amana ?????? or 21 cu.ft. Fridigaire ??????..................because if you do I have a Bridge I want to sell you ............................................Mikegu yver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So what you're saying; is that you DON'T have tire sizes to compare...
    How do we know, that your yardstick; is any more, or less accurate?

You've also forgotten about how tire wear affects the overall diameter (or circumference!) of a tire...