Spyder Garage

Question Need help choosing communications system for a couple of 80 year old riders.

I've been trying for two years to get My 2012 RT Ltd complete CB AM/FR stock wired communication system to work so that my wife and I can converse while riding. I have to be very attuned to her wants and needs as we are both in our early 80s and we are own best friends. Although my Spyder has all these communications options, the one most important to us is rider to rider and after trying everything with our wired system I think it is time to give up and move on. Everything I read on forums tends to make me believe that rider to rider communications via Can-Am is a dead horse, anyhow.

Can some of you recommend a different solution? I employ an Apple iPhone 4S and connect it via bluetooth to my Zumo 660 - do any of you know of or have experience with any workable (I'm a little jaded after dealing so unsuccessfully with Can-AM) maybe bluetooth systems that would help us? I'm perfectly willing to put aside the iPhone in my frunk when we're together if we can just talk to each other without hand signals and shouting. It's really gotten to the point where we can't ride together for any distance much over 25 miles.

Sincerely,

Joe Upchurch

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Two cans and a string..!!

we use the Scala G9's with the Phone, GPS, FM radio, MP3, intercom all bluetoothed. It also has the ability to connect to up to 8 other ryders in your group with the same system. Sena is also a good system and we have a sponsor here that can help...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We haven't had too much luck in that department either. We presently use the Sena from Can Am. Not to impressed with the headset to headset, very noisy. Could very well be our dealer didn't set it up properly as it was the first one installed by them. Need time to figure it out on my own.
    Last edited by Questions; 09-01-2014 at 07:17 PM. Reason: to be fair to Sena products

Spyder Garage

I always had wired intercom systems and fought going wireless.
    Now that I've gone bluetooth, I couldn't be more delighted.
    On the BRP wired intercom, I could never get the VOX set up appropriately. It was either too sensitive, or not sensitive enough.
    The BRP OEM wireless is the Sena SM10 system.
    I'm very happy with it. I have it set as push to talk.
    I'd suggest you go with the Sena units.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

+1 on the Sena units, had ours for almost two seasons and they work great. http://www.motorcycledave.com/
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

We use this... comm. Music share, telephone...

http://www.sena.com/product/intercoms/smh10r/

Spyder Garage

I have used both Cardo 2 and Sena SMH10 (current ones we use).

My Sena units are NOT a part of the BRP package but were purchased as a separate item and mounted to our helmets. No direct connection to the Spyder. We find they work very well and are very quiet compared to the Cardo units. Range about 3 blocks--which is sufficient for us.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Sena all the way

I'm very happy with the Sena SPH10H-FM system for half helmets. Audio is excellent.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Only thing to warn you about going Bluetooth is you will loose the BRP CB if you have that. It does not work with either the BRP BT setup or other BT setups.
    If you must have BT and want a CB, right now the known working setup (non-OEM) is to get the Midland handheld CB, and Sena SR10 (which gives you BT with the Midland CB) and wire that up.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the i phone 4s linked to my gps and my gps to sena 20s (now, had smh10 before). I have used this package successfully for nearly 5 years to communicate not only with my wife but to link with other group riders, get directions and receive and make calls while riding.. I love it and my 20S now has built in FM radio and better noise reduction. super system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default WHAT???

You knew that I was gonna post something mildly inappropriate...

imagesCADMG4HM.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

HUH ?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Joe, sent you a pm.
    Last edited by bruiser; 09-03-2014 at 10:49 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We just got these a week ago and they are awesome. Rider to rider is great, you can share music (from my Android phone) I can answer calls, the phones GPS voice activated mutes the music and gives directions. If we had an Iphone we would have even more ability to shift music tracks, etc. Wife loves them! Greatly enhanced our riding experience together.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Joe, sent you a pm.
    I finally called MotorcycleDave and he is sending me the Sena 10 units.

Spyder Garage

Sounds as though you should of had another member help you out on the wired system. The
    system you had was a very reliable system, much better than the bluetooth. If you find that the bluetooth system isn't for you, give me a message and I will get you working again on the wired.
    Enjoy your ride.

Ron

Spyder Garage

Default bluetooth

I have been using the Uclear system and it has worked great once I got the mounting corrected. No mics to move out of the way and great customer service.
    Ravseren
    2011 RT S SE5

Spyder Garage

Question Thanks Ron, wish I could talk with you.

Quote Originally Posted by R30SHIRE View Post
    Sounds as though you should of had another member help you out on the wired system. The
    system you had was a very reliable system, much better than the bluetooth. If you find that the bluetooth system isn't for you, give me a message and I will get you working again on the wired.
    Enjoy your ride.

Ron
    I tried off and on to get the wired system to work and couldn't. My dealer was no help whatsoever. I think the real problem lies with CB - had I not had the CB as a factory accessory maybe It would work without CB. If you have a solution that will work for me I would appreciate it. Remember though that my 2012 Rt Ltd came fully loaded, entertainment, CB and all. My 'cell # is 803-427-3794 if you can spare the time.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Upchurch View Post
    I tried off and on to get the wired system to work and couldn't. My dealer was no help whatsoever. I think the real problem lies with CB - had I not had the CB as a factory accessory maybe It would work without CB. If you have a solution that will work for me I would appreciate it. Remember though that my 2012 Rt Ltd came fully loaded, entertainment, CB and all. My 'cell # is 803-427-3794 if you can spare the time.

Joe,
    Is it ok for me to call you this Sunday 9-14-14 ? or if you'd like my phone number is 614-203-3095
    All 3 of my Spyder RT Limiteds have had the entire communications package. I learned the hard way
    how to make these work good because my dealer had less knowledge than I did. We will get you up
    and running. If you could call me and or PM me to let me know what time frame is good for you.

Thanks,
    Ron