Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    We should start a list of annoying questions:

"Can my kid sit on it for a pic?" Uh.. no, can I sit on the hood of your car?

"How big is the motor?" Duh.. it says 990cc on the side, dumba$$.
    I offer to let kids sit on mine if the parents are there. love the look on their face when they climb on board!

Spyder Garage

I am also of the opinion that I do not mind any questions about the . Six years into the brand, and they still generate a lots of questions. They still get the awe effect from a lot of people.

We were driving through a State Park yesterday and an elderly couple stopped in their tracks just to look at us as we were driving by. The gentleman made a 180 degree turn to watch. When Akspyderlady waved at them, he just lit up. Priceless!

The three top question I get, is mileage, price, and sometimes, how fast.

Always glad to answer. When it comes to price, I turn it around to what do you think it costs? I have had everything from $6K to $25K. I like to blow their minds with the $28-$30K numbers--but always say they start at $16K or so. I have fun with the 200 mph speedo if they get to looking at it that close. For starters, I tell them I have had it up to 125 or so--but omit telling them I did that in Canada and it was KPH and not MPH. Depending on...I may or may not fess up.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Now that we have received the BRP Welcome Package

Don't forget the cool Spyder information cards we have, just to hand out to potential prospective, club chapter memberships.

Hahaha

Chas

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When they talk about pricing; I deflect them with...
    "It's not what you've got in them that matters; it's what you get OUT of them!"
    That normally puts a quick stop to pricing discussions...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When they ask me about the price, I usually think that they are saying to themselves something like, "Wow! That is one beautiful machine! Was it created by science fiction gods or what! It HAS TO BE MEGA EXPENSIVE!" So, I respond, "Yeah, it is really cool. Good lookin' too! It ran me about 3 1/2 out the door. "

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default I Always Get

HOW DOES IT HANDLE ? or IS IT HARD TO STEER ? I just tell them It's like riding A really fast 4 wheeler...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Does it lean? "Yeah. Like a car." It takes a thinking (wo)man to understand that one.

How much does one of those cost? "About twenty-five thousand dollars." (ST-L) It isn't that I'm haughty because I have a marginally expensive toy. It's because I wouldn't ask someone how much something cost them, and if they'll be so uncouth, I'll return the favor.

Is it safer? "Not really, you're just not very likely to fall over."

Spyder Garage

I guess the reason the price question bothers me so much, is because it usually comes from people that clearly have no interest in getting one. They just want to know how much I spent.

Spyder Garage

I have had more than one person ask if I like it. I reply, "No, I love it!".

Spyder Garage

Default Here is what annoys me the most

Everyone is uneducated about one thing or another.
    The difference between stupid and uneducated is that stupid people are happy being uneducated and don't ask questions.
    There is no such thing as a dumb question, there are only dumb answers.

If someone asks me a question about my Spyder, they are being friendly and trying to start a conversation. Even if they ask about blinker fluid.
    I am happy with my machine and happy with my choice. I love to talk about it to anyone.

What bothers me the most is Spyder owners who feel that questioners are asking stupid things and respond with sarcastic answers.
    As though owning a Spyder makes you superior to others.
    Exactly like the attitude we don't like in one particular American marque.

This thread is kind of mild. I'd even go so far as to say upbeat. I applaud that.

There have been too many other threads where owners answered questions and were very proud that they were snarky to strangers.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...upid+questions
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Cool

I still light up when someone ask about my Spyder. The only problem I have is when I come out side from someplace, and someone is sitting on it without my giving the green light. Other wise it's cool.

Hard to believe there are still those that have not seen one yet or know what it is.

"Be safe Out There"

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

haven't had an annoying question, but had a hilarious comment from an old Harley guy: "Looks like something a pimp would ride!"

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    There have been too many other threads where owners answered questions and were very proud that they were snarky to strangers.
    I normally try to be civil to people asking questions. I do make some exceptions though. One was while I was parked waiting for the wife to come out of a store, a guy who had been sitting in a car near me for sometime, obviously bored, decided he would interrupt what I was doing with questions that came across as being an "I don't have anything else to do so entertain me" attitude.

The other was in the Mojave desert about noon time at a Walmart parking lot. I have my laptop sitting on the seat plugged into BUDS hunting down why I am getting the check engine light. It is hot and I am concerned that if it needs something I can't do right there we are going to be off the road for a few days since it is the weekend. So a guy walks up, acknowledges that I am working on the bike, and still continues to ask the same questions we always get. I didn't punch him or anything, but I definitely didn't encourage the conversation either.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We can either be the best Ambassadors for our chosen rides...

... Or our own worst enemies!

The choice; is ours to make!

Spyder Garage

Thursday, my wife was shopping a store in Cleveland Ohio and 3 people walked by me a asked me if this was a kit that I put together. They all thought it was a cool machine. Keep on riding.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i don't get annoyed by spyder questions, you can't own something unique without expecting people to ask or pictures to be taken, as for price what i am annoyed at? Most people have never seen one and have no idea if it is $5,000 or $50,000. If you don't like the questions then keep the helmet on and face shield down so you can ignore them. My wife and I are always friendly when people ask.
    Most annoying though is the heat and gas smell.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I love all of the questions. I have always driven fairly custom cars and bikes because I like the attention I guess. I get the price question alot - and it doesn't bother me because it isn't like its a secret and its a valid question to ask. As for the "do you like it" question I usually have an earfull for them on that too. I like it becuase its the best option out there, but it is WAY off from a perfect set up and I tell them what I dont like for sure. The only one that bothers me - and will get a smart a$$ reply is "why didn't you buy a real bike"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can have some fun with that one...
    "I had a REAL bike once; pedals and all! This is WAY more fun!"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi 125,

Re: "Can my kid sit on it for a pic?"

That's interesting. Just last week I was at a restaurant and noticed about an 8 yr old kid having mom take his picture standing next to my Spyder.

I immediately went outside & asked them if he would like to sit on it for a photo. They were overjoyed; and it did not cost me anything.

"Stay off of my lawn" just does not work for me.

Jerry Baumchen
    GOOD PR FOR SPYDER owners in general too..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
    . . . The one that really got me was a guy in Ouray CO. We had stopped for lunch and we came out some guy was really looking over the bike. His question, as he pointed to the trailer, was "can somebody ride in there?"
    The answer, of course, is " Certainly!"

trailer monkey.jpg
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But you need to carefully assess the situation... If it doesn't look as if the parent OR child are going to respect the time and care that you put into the finish on your bike...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I was in Quebec a couple of weeks ago and don't speak French, but we were taking a rest break at a lighthouse and a small boy came over and was obviously in awe of the Spyder. His mother and father came over and I ask the boy if he would like to sit on it using gestures (I felt rather foolish but it worked). After a vigorous nod of the head his father lifted him up and he just beamed as they took some pictures of him on it. Made my day.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And theirs, as well!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Amen

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    I can't say I'm annoyed by it, as much as I'm surprised-- nearly EVERY time I get asked questions, the *first* question is always about the price.

And while I never judge a book by their cover, more than one of the folks who ask it are most likely NOT in the financial place to buy a Spyder.

Then again, perhaps the guy with holes in his dirty white t-shirt driving a 25-year-old smoke-belching Corolla to pick up his late-morning tallboys is, in fact, getting his stock tips from Warren Buffett?
    Yeah just can,t never tell can ya?

Spyder Garage

Was in MuleShoe Texas at a gas station, leaned up against the wall, eating my nuts, drinking my water. Along came a big pack of Harleys. They waited a while and more showed up from the other direction. There were probably 15-20 bikes in all.

One guy comes up to me and says 'Good thing my wife isn't here, she would want one.' Shrugged my shoulders and kept eating nuts. No-one else came over to chat with me and that was all right.

They were getting ready to leave and one of the ladies came over and asked if I could take their group picture. So I did. Next thing you know we're all talking. They asked me where I was headed, I said Lubbock. They were headed there too on a lunch run and invited me to go with them. Was on a time schedule, but would ride with them till I had to turn off.

Because I was on a trike with loud pipes and a guest, I brought up the rear. A couple miles down the road, bikes slowly started peeling off and riding behind me. This kept happening till I was in the middle of the pack.

When it was time for me to peel off, waved to signal this was my exit. All the bikes behind me waved back.

They never asked anything about my ride, but I think many of that group have a new attitude about Spyders.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.