Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I'm having second thoughts!

I pick up my 2014 RT Spyder tomorrow and I have been doing a lot of reading on the forum. I have read some great stuff that has increased my knowledge of the Sypder but unfortunately I have read about quite a lot of problems that seem to go along with it as well such as:

bad batch of front tires on the 2014's causing vibration at or around 60 mph
    ome tires not lasting more than 5000 miles
    excessive roll characteristics that some owners are experiencing with the need to upgrade shock package and sway bar
    cracking of windshield bracket
    overload of Nanny if putting slight pressure on the brake (riding the brake) resulting in shutdown
    etc, etc

This amazes me that the Can Am is not taking a more aggressive approach in dealing with these issues. I am looking forward to making mods to the bike but having to make changes almost immediately to correct flaws in order to have a safe ride is giving me second thoughts about the purchase.

Is 2014 a bad year for Spyders??? HELP

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

no it is a good bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome, the 2014 RT is an awesome machine. No matter what year buyers will want to add things to improve the ride and 2014 is no different. You may be quite happy with the stock sway bar and will not want to upgrade. The tires are not great but you can not realistically expect to get upwards of 20,000 miles on a motorcycle tire.

The windshield brackets had been a problem in the past and it seems that some are having the problem on the 2014 but this is something that is covered under warranty.

I have over 23,000 miles on 2014 RTs so I speak from personal experience.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

rayeade

What you are reading here are a small number of problems that you will find in anything that is produced by humans. I have over 10,000 miles on my original OEM tires. I have only had two recalls on my 2013 RT L and some other minor problems fixed under warranty on my Spyder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 I bought in May. I now have 11,000 miles on it. The rear tire lasted 7500 miles which is short, but I've had motorcycles that did worse. It has had no more problems than my last BMW. I changed the shocks and the front sway bar, but that is a function of my weight (220#) and how I ride. It was not necessary, but it made a better functioning bike FOR ME. The majority of the problems you read about on here are a very small percentage of the Canam riders, and a lot deal with the older models. People come here seeking help from the group, so more problems get aired here than normal. Whenever you read a thread on here, you MUST know the year and the model or else you can drive yourself nuts. Relax, take a deep breath, and rest assured it'll be ok.

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT is AWESOME

I have had two Spyders....a 2012 RT Limited and a 2014 RT Limited. The 2012 RT Limited was a trouble free motorcycle and traded it in on the 2014 RT Limited -- the 2012 RT had about 7,650 miles on it when traded.

The 2014 RT Limited is truly a touring bike with the 1330 engine and 6 speed trans. I enjoy it so much more than the 2012 due to the lower rpm's at highway speeds, quieter, less vibration, etc.

All in all, the 2014 RT is an AWESOME machine. There are problems with anything we purchase. Only issue I have had with the 2014 RT is the tire life of the rear tire -- I squeezed out just under 8,000 miles on it. Changed from the OEM to a Kumho Ecsta AST for improved tire life.

Every time I ride my 2014 RT Limited I continue to smile!!!!!! Another upside is improved gas mileage as well!

Best wishes for a great time on your new 2014 RT!!!! Enjoy
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't let the bad posts scare you. If that would have been my case, I would have never bought a 2010, let my wife get an RS-S, trade my 2010 for a 2013 (yes... a 2013 and I love it), and get into the mod install\front end alignment business.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't worry. Just keep happily anticipating getting your new Spyder tomorrow!

Like others have said, you may never have any problems. I've had my /14 RTS since the end of April and have no problems. I'm anticipating the rear tire needing to be replaced before I think it should, but I've had no problems otherwise. I did have the laser alignment re-done, and the BajaRon anti-sway bar added because I like the handling characteristics it allows. You may not feel you need to do anything to yours after you ride a while.

You should get it and ride it a lot for the remainder of the season, and then over the winter, think about the farkles you may want to add, if any. I hope you'll make it to Spyderfest next Spring and you'll get lots of ideas!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks guys, really do appreciate the quick response and the good things that was said. Don't get me wrong, I already have a list of mods I would like to do but it was the impression I was getting of the "need" instead of the "want" when it came to the mods. I'm feeling better already.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

with all of the above...
    This is the internet (Duh! ), and you'll always see problems blown WAYYYY out of proportion in here...
    My take on the 2014 after 3,500 miles: it's a rockin' machine!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I started with a 2011RSS and traded for a 2014RT. I am not an overly aggressive ryder so the stock sway bar is more than adequate.
    I had no problems on the RSS in 2500 mi since last Nov and now have over 1000 mi on the RT.
    You will not be disappointed. A good dealer is important. The BRP website has ratings for them.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Take a Look at Bob

[QUOTE=Bob Denman;865112] with all of the above...
    This is the internet (Duh! ), and you'll always see problems blown WAYYYY out of proportion in here...
    My take on the 2014 after 3,500 miles: it's a rockin' machine! [/QUOT

45,000 posts on this board and not 1 single complaint. That's one post per mile. Hey I have a 13 RT and I have 15000 miles on it without a single issue. Just came back from a 2000 mile trouble free journey up the Oregon Coast. You have chosen wisely Grasshopper pick it up and ryde the wheels off it.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Tire wear isn't such a terrible issue. It's not cheap, but smiles per mile, it's inexpensive.

The roll bars and shocks are added for performance reasons. There is nothing inherently unsafe about the current handling, it's just more tuned for a lazy rider.

Windshield brackets, being fixed under warranty. I think Lamonster found that leaving them down all the way increased the stress on the brackets.

Riding the brakes is a bad idea anyway. Confusing the stability and traction control that is there to save your life...not good for the operator. Not an actual issue with the machine.

I'd say...buy.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Sadly..!!

this site can have that effect. But if you go to any it's the same. BMW just had serious problems as many others. But like a doctors office you see mostly the sick looking to get well. So I ask..how many are not sick..?? The well ones do not hang out at the doctors office nor do those problem free spyder post here. We ask them to but they are out there having fun. You will soon be out there yourself. The 2014's are great machines and the early problems are getting taken care of. One should remember that the manufacturer depends on many suppliers for materials and the real tests are Joe public. The best polocy for someone in doubt is never buy the first years production. We have many of those here but we have many more on them and enjoying them....relax welcome your on your way to the time of your life...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Pirate looks at --;865132]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    with all of the above...
    My take on the 2014 after 3,500 miles: it's a rockin' machine! [/QUOT

45,000 posts on this board and not 1 single complaint. That's one post per mile. Hey I have a 13 RT and I have 15000 miles on it without a single issue. Just came back from a 2000 mile trouble free journey up the Oregon Coast. You have chosen wisely Grasshopper pick it up and ryde the wheels off it.

I can always serve as a BAD example...
    Not Worthless.jpg
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 08-28-2014 at 11:21 AM.

Spyder Garage

Do the same amount of research on any vehicle and you'll find the same thing. Any forum will condense down all the problems experienced by all the owners of thousands of units.
    The bigger the forum, the more posts of problems and issues. (Also, the more posts of solutions and help)

Is the 2014 RT perfect? No. But good luck finding the 'Perfect Product'.

Get your Spyder and start enjoying life. If you are one of the relatively few who do have A problem, we are here to help you as much as humanly possible.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The only thing the Spyder HAS TO HAVE is Ron's "Missing Rock Guard". I didn't have it on my 2010, and it cost me two belts - put it on, and never had a problem. It was the first thing I put on my 2014, along with my gremlin bell. Everything else is optional, based on your wants... AND the size of your wallet...

Spyder Garage

Also agree with most of the above. Had my new 2014 RTS since April 30. Have put 7000 miles on it now and only problem so far was a wonky frunk latch that is being replaced under warranty.

RE: Tires--my tires look like they are going to make at least 10,000 miles on the rear. The fronts still look new.

I do not feel the need for an alignment or a sway bar at this time. I drive more twisties and mountain roads than most. Can go posted plus 20 mph on curves if I want. The is rock solid and I stay on my side of the road and never cross the center line.

If you look at my signature, I have owned a variety of ,s and have a lot of miles accumulated on them since 2008. I am the kind of person, that if I had experienced mechanical nightmares, I would have dumped the brand long ago.

I am still happy.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Welcome and just enjoy your machine!026.jpg
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Forums are heavily populated by complainers. Happy people are mostly out riding. I have already ridden the 2014 RTL 20556 miles in 2014 so far and I can tell you from someone who has ridden more than any of the whiners - that it is a fantastic bike.. Sure the OEM back tire wore out quickly but no faster than on a BMW, and replacing it with a car tire at half the cost will give me 30000 miles on the next one. The out of round small batch of front tires were replaced at brp expense. As for all the other little problems i have not experienced any of them but then again I am from the school that believes that the more you ride a spyder the better it performs and the less you ride it ( well it likes to be ridden) This is the best bike BRP has ever bullt and better than any two wheeler I have owned in 45 years. Non of my Harley buddies have carted me to the dealer to pick up my bike for repairs but I have done so for many of them

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hyperdrive13 View Post
    I pick up my 2014 RT Spyder tomorrow and I have been doing a lot of reading on the forum. I have read some great stuff that has increased my knowledge of the Sypder but unfortunately I have read about quite a lot of problems that seem to go along with it as well such as:

bad batch of front tires on the 2014's causing vibration at or around 60 mph
    ome tires not lasting more than 5000 miles
    excessive roll characteristics that some owners are experiencing with the need to upgrade shock package and sway bar
    cracking of windshield bracket
    overload of Nanny if putting slight pressure on the brake (riding the brake) resulting in shutdown
    etc, etc

This amazes me that the Can Am is not taking a more aggressive approach in dealing with these issues. I am looking forward to making mods to the bike but having to make changes almost immediately to correct flaws in order to have a safe ride is giving me second thoughts about the purchase.

I would take a deep breath and relax.
    Most often you will hear from someone with an issue but not to much from the people that are too busy out riding and having a Great time with their Spyder.
    I haven't had any of the problems you have listed, in fact except for replacing the rear OEM tire my Spyder has gone passed my wildest expectations!
    You have a much better chance of picking up one like mine then anything else!

Enjoy and let us know how you Love it!!!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default second thoughts

I feel the same way I kind of wonder what is going to go wrong with the one I get

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What are you getting?
    If it's a 2014 RT; the only thing that'll go wrong, is if you run out of excuses to get on it and ride!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hyperdrive13 View Post

bad batch of front tires on the 2014's causing vibration at or around 60 mph Biggest problem with tires is finding 'round' ones. If you were to go through a dealer inventory of any tire brand you will find some that require more correction to roll true in some than in others. It happens with any vehicle and you'll see posts on many boards about this issue.
    ome tires not lasting more than 5000 miles that is entirely due to the rider. I got 10,000 out of one rear and have 13,000 on the current one with lots of tread left. If I wanted to I could have smoked it down to 5,000 but I choose not to ride that way.
    excessive roll characteristics that some owners are experiencing with the need to upgrade shock package and sway bar Again depends on the rider. If you plan to be aggressive then add the stronger sway bar and shocks. The factory stuff is fine for regular riding
    cracking of windshield bracket numerous posts on here about not letting the weight rest on the bottom bracket. Just move it up a tiny bit but this could also be dependent on the types of roads traveled. On our 2nd set of RT's and have not seen this problem.
    overload of Nanny if putting slight pressure on the brake (riding the brake) resulting in shutdown Again, depends on the rider. Riding the brake leads to trouble on any vehicle. Don't blame Can Am for this.
    etc, etc

The only thing Can Am might want to do is sponsor training classes for new owners.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default buy one you will like it!

I'm one of those guys that find something wrong with everything l own. I have posted some complaint's myself on forum, but that being said l love rideing my 014 RTs. With 2800 miles and no mechanical issues so far. Plan on some options in future but don't really need them. I just love the comfort of bike and the 1330 engine. Been on this bike more than any other bike I've owned in the last 50 years.