Spyder Garage

Default cruise contol recommendation for 2011 RS

Any recommendation for after market cruise control for a 2011RS? Seen the cruise mate but was wondering if there was anything else as I didn't see anything else on a thread. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

The cruise mate is a throttle lock. It won't disengage when you touch the brakes or clutch. The Audiovox electronic cruise is a true cruise control as well as the MC Cruise control. The Audiovox runs between $320 and $360 depending on if you have a SE or SM. The MC Cruise is around $1100. I have installed both and they work about the same.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Yikes..!!

I run the palm cruise at $7.95... Not fond of anything messing with my throttle control. In a car great but not on bike..just me... I also like my throttle to be operated by a cable and not flown by a wire...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Neither one of those cruise controls are fly by wire. They are both cable operated

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just ordered this. I'm not sure if I will like it. I wanted something simple that required no cutting or drilling. One link is where I purchased the next link is a video explaining how it works.

http://www.compacc.com/p/throttlemeister-cruise-control-can-am-spyder-2008

Last edited by Tazzel; 08-19-2014 at 11:50 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you for the posts

Thank you for the information. I'll look in to the options provided.

Of, course I have to keep installation costs in mind since neither me or my husband are wrenchers (we tend to break things)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default It's standard on my 2013 RS-S

Funny, I've never used it, even though I leave it turned on all the time, but have yet to activate it.
    So just how do you turn it on, once the switch is set to on?
    I tried pushing it's switch up and also down, but if does not activate the throttle lock. Anyone?

Chas

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Throttlemeister is a great throttle lock but it requires a bit of mechanical ability to install and it's kinda pricey. Here's what I use on my 650 BMW.

Anybody can install it and it's a snap to use. To set it, just reach the speed you want and push the arm forward to the bars. To release it, just twist the throttle back and it's completely released so it offers no resistance to hamper throttle control in town or at slow speeds or in the twisty's. When you're back to a straight run, just reset it. Like any throttle control, it will not maintain a steady speed up and down hills and, it will eventually slip backwards and require slight adjustments. But it's cheap, easy to install, easy to use, and holds the throttle as well as any throttle lock I've ever used except, maybe, a Throttlemeister.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

But since the Spyder doesn't have a front hand brake, what do you rest it on?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=bikeguy;860749]Throttlemeister is a great throttle lock but it requires a bit of mechanical ability to install and it's kinda pricey. Here's what I use on my 650 BMW.

It cost around 180.00 for the heavy set but it requires very little mechanical ability. Here is another post with pictures of how to install on spyder.

http://www.spydertalk.com/forums/top...-install-pics/

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Outkazt RS-S View Post
    But since the Spyder doesn't have a front hand brake, what do you rest it on?
    OOOPS ! ! That's a very good question. I didn't even think of it. I just walked out to the shop and looked at the Spyder and, short of building something to attach to the bars, there's nothing to rest it on. A lot of help I am. Sorry.
    It works real good on my BMW, though.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

I too would love to have some form of authentic cruise control on my 2012 RS... that's the single thing it's most missing from the factory; I don't like the idea of throttle-locks at all there's danger in those devices IMHO.

My right hand just gets exhausted between stops sometimes to the point I lose circulation in the entire right arm, unable to even feel my right hand anymore... arghhhh!

So I try to avoid long rides, or else I have to stop every 10 miles or so just to shake my right hand out so I can feel it again. There's gotta be a better way.

- Michael

Spyder Garage

Default crampbuster

try a crampbuster or throttle rocker. it's the next best thing to a cruise control. cost around ten bucks.
    Last edited by coz; 08-25-2014 at 06:54 AM.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    I just ordered this. I'm not sure if I will like it. I wanted something simple that required no cutting or drilling. One link is where I purchased the next link is a video explaining how it works.

http://www.compacc.com/p/throttlemei...am-spyder-2008

I recommend this option. I also purchased the throttlemeister cruise control for my 2012 RSS. It works great. You can activate it with your thumb, pinky, and ring finger of your throttle hand while holding the throttle stead with your palm, pointer, and middle fingers. It may sound tricky but it's very simple. It also doesn't even remotely "lock" the throttle. You can still rotate the throttle closed/off even while the cruise control is engaged. It has just enough friction to hold it perfectly, while also allowing you to easily still move the throttle to give it more or less gas or go wide open or instantly take all throttle off in an emergent situation.

It's been a great enhancement to my spyder. I'm a HUGE cruise control kind of guy with my cars. I use it incessantly now on the spyder, basically it is engaged 95% of the time that I'm not accelerating or decelerating.

It is also only like $180 if I remember correctly, so not too pricey. I wanted the electronic integrated cruise control...but did not care for the costs associated. I figured installation on those might easily run as much as the cruise itself.

I had my local shop install the throttlemeister and they charged me a half hour labor.
    Last edited by StealthSpyder; 08-25-2014 at 03:15 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I really like the Kaoko Throttle Lock. It is a good looking piece and works very well.

Spyder Garage

Default cruise control

a bit pricy but works good is the MC cruise

http://www.mccruise.com/collections/...ier/products/1

have it on mine love it

Spyder Garage

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Tx web rider View Post
    a bit pricy but works good is the MC cruise

http://www.mccruise.com/collections/...ier/products/1

have it on mine love it
    More than just a bit! Wow!