Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default LED Strip Helmet Illumination

The moment I saw this, I realized how awesome of an idea it was, and how beneficial it could be in making us more visible to other traffic, people. For many reasons if seems like a smart and simple, yet effective method to attract more attention to us, out there, while ryding our Spyder's. Thinking Safety!!

Spotted: Do-It-Yourself LED Strip Helmet Illumination

Riding even at the best of times can make you feel invisible in a sea of minivans and teen drivers. Worse yet, when splitting lanes during rush hour traffic in LA you can easily expect to detect the fine odor of (…did someone hit a skunk?) burning herbs a couple of times every few miles, and if you ride at night, your chance of being seen by every single tired, texting, potentially stoned driver is close to zero.

If you’re dedicated to surviving this melee you do everything you can to increase your visibility, so when I spotted a co-worker who modded his helmet with an LED strip to ensure he gets spotted, I knew I had to snap a picture. Forgive the less-than-perfect cell phone shot.

The strip of LEDs is attached to the back of the helmet with silicone or glue, and a wire runs down to a battery pack in the pocket of the jacket.
    My buddy Vince soldered an audio jack into the wiring so that he can unplug the helmet when he takes it off without worrying about the wiring running to his jacket.

You can easily put together something like this with an LED Strip, battery holder and a bit of soldering and ingenuity, or if you’d rather something pre-assembled, you can get a kit from LumenFlex.
    http://www.lumenflex.com/lightrider/

Probably not a new idea, but a very bright one, indeed.

Chas
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ChasCS; 08-17-2014 at 04:10 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Interesting!
    Although I would have to wonder if there are any regulations govening this?
    Thanks...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Nice!! I've often thought about adding LEDs to my jacket.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's because as bright as you are; the need was not apparent...

Spyder Garage

That is a really cool idea. You get the lights at eye level to be seen better. This is the reason for the cyclops tail lights on cars these days.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    That's because as bright as you are; the need was not apparent...
    tongue-stuck-out-smiley-emoticon.gif

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Thought it was a keen one

Glad you liked it. I myself will be looking closely into this idea further come Monday.

We do, need to discover any legalities involved. If it's indeed not a challenge to our by-laws.

Chas

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll tackle Noo Yawk's opinion on them this week, and report back...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChasCS View Post
    The moment I saw this, I realized how awesome of an idea it was, and how beneficial it could be in making us more visible to other traffic, people. For many reasons if seems like a smart and simple, yet effective method to attract more attention to us, out there, while ryding our Spyder's. Thinking Safety!!

Riding even at the best of times can make you feel invisible in a sea of minivans and teen drivers. Worse yet, when splitting lanes during rush hour traffic in LA you can easily expect to detect the fine odor of (…did someone hit a skunk?) burning herbs a couple of times every few miles, and if you ride at night, your chance of being seen by every single tired, texting, potentially stoned driver is close to zero.

If you’re dedicated to surviving this melee you do everything you can to increase your visibility, so when I spotted a co-worker who modded his helmet with an LED strip to ensure he gets spotted, I knew I had to snap a picture. Forgive the less-than-perfect cell phone shot.

The strip of LEDs is attached to the back of the helmet with silicone or glue, and a wire runs down to a battery pack in the pocket of the jacket.
    My buddy Vince soldered an audio jack into the wiring so that he can unplug the helmet when he takes it off without worrying about the wiring running to his jacket.

You can easily put together something like this with an LED Strip, battery holder and a bit of soldering and ingenuity, or if you’d rather something pre-assembled, you can get a kit from LumenFlex.

Chas
    Nice idea. Check out GMAX helmets. They have light in the back that you can change settings on

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Helmets with lights

I am a member of the Port Stockton Motorcycle Club in Stockton CA. and have been
    for 35+ years this club is all in for SAFETY... there is a company named G-MAX that
    has been making lighted helmets for years, most of our members have and use them.
    the light on the back is flush with the helmet it is inset and uses 2 AAA batteries that
    last several months, the light is programable to stay on, flash or flash fast.
    You can buy the optional blue tooth unit that will make the light into a 3rd. brake light
    it will go on when you hit the brakes. I have one and my wife has one as well.
    We got ours at the CanAM dealer, they stock them in Lodi CA. the price was under $175.00 ea.
    go online and check them out.
    BIG SAFETY thing to have...
    Dave

Chas

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Awesome variety of models

Quote Originally Posted by happyspyder2039 View Post
    Nice idea. Check out GMAX helmets. They have light in the back that you can change settings on

Good call hp. Yeah, they do have a small led, that can change light pattern, but it would be much better if it was a bit larger and spread out for a better over all visibility factor.
    I do like the styles of their helmets, and wonder where they are available locally to try on?
    Thanks for the 'heads up'. ;-)

http://g-max.com/helmets/gm27s.html

• Patented L.E.D. light incorporated into
    the rear vent for increased visibility
    featuring three distinct light settings
    - steady on, slow flash and rapid.

Thanks Dave... :-)

Chas
    Last edited by ChasCS; 08-17-2014 at 11:51 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Chas
    It's has only a 6 hours of usage. It wouldn't work on a long ride and most local I do are over 6 hours. If you ride two up, the back seat would be looking at my lights for 6 hours and at night I would see a glowing in my mirrors. My Sena com. system the battery lasts for well over 12 hours.

That's IMHO.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The light on mine is about 4 in. long it is plenty big you can be seen a long
    way back of you We have the modular helmets they also have built in
    sun glasses/shield

Good call hp. Yeah, they do have a small led, that can change light pattern, but it would be much better if it was a bit larger and spread out for a better over all visibility factor.
    I do like the styles of their helmets, and wonder where they are available locally to try on?

http://g-max.com/helmets/gm27s.html

• Patented L.E.D. light incorporated into
    the rear vent for increased visibility
    featuring three distinct light settings
    - steady on, slow flash and rapid.

Thanks Dave... :-)

Chas

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Visibility at night

Read this article about a cool system that has an app & Bluetooth connectivity.
    http://www.momentumblog.co.uk/2012/0...s-on-your.html

Tail, indicator and brake lights on your helmet?

With the issue of motorcycle safety and rider visibility ever increasing in prominence, one entrepreneur has come up with a stylish new helmet lighting system that could help to save motorcyclists lives.
    The new product concept, know as BikeLink, is designed to provide customised lighting options to increase rider visibility and act as a fully functional additional tail, brake, indicator and hazard light.

The sleek and stylish LED solution mounts on to any full-face helmet via a weatherproof self-adhesive rubber strip. The unit itself is of course fully waterproof and syncs to your motorcycle's lighting system via a transmitter that connects to your wiring loom.
    The lighting system is completely wireless and has a built-in rechargeable battery which is said to have a life of around 8 hours. The system will be available with a sync lead that allows the user to change settings on their smart phone (e.g. colour and brightness of the LEDs).

The system is currently in prototype stage and the creators are looking to fund the first production run by taking pre-orders for the system. Anyone from individual customers to dealers can place their pre-orders on the website http://www.fundable.com/bike-link

We think this is a great safety initiative and we could see this being particularly popular with builders of custom motorcycles, to find out more or support this new business venture check out http://www.fundable.com/bike-link
    Not sure if these guts are still going forward or what's happening...?
    http://www.fundable.com/bike-link

There are actually many of these systems, I am discovering.

Chas
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ChasCS; 08-17-2014 at 12:30 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Very nice..!!

saw a unit a while back that had a sending sensor so the lights operated with the brakes and turn signals. Law should not have a problem as long as there red and not flashing. Like the third high lights on cars...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Found this while researching different helmets from my previous thread.
    - Rather long winded but good details.
    - Overview

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    Last edited by Questions; 08-22-2014 at 03:52 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default I like this best

The other methods seem way to fiddly, and with this you can just stick it and forget about it.

As far as battery life, carry spares. Anyway, for me, the majority of my riding would still be done well into the day light, but even if out enjoying the freedom at night, or early mornings, I try to wear my reflective vest, and allow much more cushion space between myself and other potential unaware drivers.

I think an all red setup of LED's would suit me best.
    Oh, if there was a passenger behind me I wouldn't turn it on, or it would only be in the rear helmet.

Chas

Spyder Garage

BRP has the BV2S helmet with a built in light,been out for a few years for sledders.A little pricey but can be found quite often at much better prices ebay etc.