Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Updating my 2013 ST-Limited

So I've been going back and forth with BRP Care regarding the boiling fuel issue on my Spyder, not really having heat issues effecting me on the bike but the boiling fuel is a major concern, I went ahead and ordered the new side panel kit at a cost of $333.99 per side and asked Steve at BRP Care for a voucher or discount directly (like that will happen)

But I tried, at first they threw all the servive bulletins at me along with the safety recall on September 4th, 2013, once they realized I had copies of everything and all have been completed, my case remains open.

I'm just trying to get them to admit the design flaw with the CAT under the fuel tank and it's been a known problem from the start.

Still love my Spyder and can't blame a guy for trying, waiting for the next email...LOL

Jeff M.
    2017 F3-Limited
    2009 GS , Iridium Plugs Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck. From what the others have said the new panels really help but it doesn't seem right that you have to pay for them.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Good luck. From what the others have said the new panels really help but it doesn't seem right that you have to pay for them.
    Yep, that's what I'm expecting, I'm prepared to pay the whole cost but can't hurt to try for a discount...LOL

Jeff M.
    2017 F3-Limited

Spyder Garage

i don't think you will ever get them to admit the problem because once they do they are locked into it, they did admit somewhat but i don't feel that you should have to pay for new panels due to their problem. i ended up selling my 13 rt and bought a 14 rt limited. much better for the heat almost nothing at all
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Fwiw: I have not noticed boiling fuel or fuel smell since installing the new panels
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    Fwiw: I have not noticed boiling fuel or fuel smell since installing the new panels
    That's good to know, I'm still going to do the CAT Delete or Bypass though, I don't like that being directly under my fuel tank and Lamont and Pitbull have done a fantastic job designing and distributing these to owners.

Jeff M.
    2017 F3-Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Does anyone think...

That the JB Air Filter helps the fuel tank? I'm toying with going that route on mine but I can always shove a bunch of insulation between the Cat and the fuel tank.

Thanks!
    So far, my second childhood is better than my first.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mcubed45 View Post
    That the JB Air Filter helps the fuel tank? I'm toying with going that route on mine but I can always shove a bunch of insulation between the Cat and the fuel tank.

Thanks!
    I've never heard of it, all I know is I can't put my hand between the Cat and fuel tank, no room to put anything in there and the safety recall in September 2013 did add some insulation around the Evap Canister and I believe the bottom os the fuel tank, it's paper thin and no help.

Jeff M.
    2017 F3-Limited

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffsm69 View Post
    That's good to know, I'm still going to do the CAT Delete or Bypass though, I don't like that being directly under my fuel tank and Lamont and Pitbull have done a fantastic job designing and distributing these to owners.
    Hi Jeff, I just got a 2013 sts limited. I noticed that it runs hot by my seat and to the touch on the portion of the tank before the seat. Silly question but what new panels are you guys referring to? How do I know if mine has it? Yesterday I was going downhill and downshifted to first because I was going so slow and the engine flat out quit....it stayed in first and since it won't start. Im having it towed to the dealer this morning but i would like to mention how hot it gets. I've tried everything with the stall and still can't get it to start even though everything else is functioning as normal.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by grooby_doo View Post
    Hi Jeff, I just got a 2013 sts limited. I noticed that it runs hot by my seat and to the touch on the portion of the tank before the seat. Silly question but what new panels are you guys referring to? How do I know if mine has it? Yesterday I was going downhill and downshifted to first because I was going so slow and the engine flat out quit....it stayed in first and since it won't start. Im having it towed to the dealer this morning but i would like to mention how hot it gets. I've tried everything with the stall and still can't get it to start even though everything else is functioning as normal.
    The panels are the new 2014 retro fit panels for the ST, Lamont posted an image with all the part numbers, each kit contains 2 panels with foam insulation, screws, wind deflector and new stickers with instuctions, take a look at a newer 2014 ST and you'll see the panels, BRP is now offering these kits for the 2013 and prior models, you will need two kits and they basically add scoops on each side of the bike to allow more air to the engine compartment.
    Last edited by Jeffsm69; 07-24-2014 at 11:00 AM.

Jeff M.
    2017 F3-Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Look Here

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ers#post814952

As far as the stall, check the engine kill switch and make sure your foot is on the brake, if all else fails, remove the key and try walking away from the bike, then repeat the steps above
    Last edited by Jeffsm69; 07-24-2014 at 11:54 AM.

Jeff M.
    2017 F3-Limited

Spyder Garage

Jeff,

I thought the cat bypass was for the RT's. Do they fit on the ST?

Brian

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    Jeff,

Brian

YES!

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    Jeff,

Brian
    Description from this website;
    The CAT Delete or CAT Bypass will work on all 2013-2014 with the V-Twin 990 Motor; RT's, ST's and RS-S with Cats,.should eliminate the boiling fuel issues some are having and make the rider more comfortable with the heat around the seat area. You should also see an increase in torque by the butt dyno. These will retail at $349.00 and are made from 304 stainless steel. All parts are hand tig welded with machined bends and flanges. There is no need for a fuel processor with this pipe. If you are subject to testing in your state this can be removed and the stock cat can be reinstalled. We do recommend that you replace your stock gaskets as they may be damaged when removing the old cat.
    To order these products, Call Len at Pitbull Powersports @ 417-863-1418
    They make a seperate one for the 1330 motor.

Jeff M.
    2017 F3-Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Well..!!

as a wise old guy told me...there is no worst try than the one you never made...good luck..!! any help would be an admission and require a big investment to cover them all...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I sure wish they would develop updated air flow panels like those for the RT models. I would buy a set as would many others.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Question

Does anyone know why the cat bypass costs more for the 2013 models vs. the 2014 models?

Description from this website;
    The CAT Delete or CAT Bypass will work on all 2013-2014 with the V-Twin 990 Motor; RT's, ST's and RS-S with Cats,.should eliminate the boiling fuel issues some are having and make the rider more comfortable with the heat around the seat area. You should also see an increase in torque by the butt dyno. These will retail at $349.00 and are made from 304 stainless steel. All parts are hand tig welded with machined bends and flanges. There is no need for a fuel processor with this pipe. If you are subject to testing in your state this can be removed and the stock cat can be reinstalled. We do recommend that you replace your stock gaskets as they may be damaged when removing the old cat.
    To order these products, Call Len at Pitbull Powersports @ 417-863-1418
    They make a seperate one for the 1330 motor.
    14 RT-S , Stock Large brake pedal White Pearl

Spyder Garage

Default Now Happy Spyder owner

Hi I wrote to BRP CARE and got a case number in an email from them with instructions to go to the dealer to help me. I did this and they wrote to them regarding my heat issue on our 2013 ST-L. It went from customer care to warranty to tech services and was finally approved under full warranty. Dealer has order the 2 kits and waiting for them to come in so they can install them! I cannot wait so I can once again ride the Spyder without burning my leg and hand if I touch the left panels. Will let everyone know after they are installed......
    14 RT-S , Stock Large brake pedal White Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NM Wrench View Post
    Hi I wrote to BRP CARE and got a case number in an email from them with instructions to go to the dealer to help me. I did this and they wrote to them regarding my heat issue on our 2013 ST-L. It went from customer care to warranty to tech services and was finally approved under full warranty. Dealer has order the 2 kits and waiting for them to come in so they can install them! I cannot wait so I can once again ride the Spyder without burning my leg and hand if I touch the left panels. Will let everyone know after they are installed......
    Therein lies the problem BRP HAS paid for some but not all ST retrofits. I also agree they need something like this for the 2013 RT since they decided to turn it into a 13/14 hybrid and create more heat issues than already existed. A redesigned upper panel with scoops might be the ticket.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Therein lies the problem BRP HAS paid for some but not all ST retrofits. I also agree they need something like this for the 2013 RT since they decided to turn it into a 13/14 hybrid and create more heat issues than already existed. A redesigned upper panel with scoops might be the ticket.
    Exactly, I hope they will step up and pay for these under warrenty but I'm not planning on it, BRP Care has been emailing me once a day for the past two weeks, so far the only thing they keep referring to the Service Bulletin 2013-9, so I need to get my dealer to update the computer, once that's complete, it's on to the heat issue still remaining

Jeff M.
    2017 F3-Limited

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Exactly, I hope they will step up and pay for these under warrenty but I'm not planning on it, BRP Care has been emailing me once a day for the past two weeks, so far the only thing they keep referring to the Service Bulletin 2013-9, so I need to get my dealer to update the computer, once that's complete, it's on to the heat issue still remaining
    The service bulletin reduces the gas boiling and heat by 40%......big help.....but the panels added reduced boiling gas and heat to almost 100%.....good luck

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NM Wrench View Post
    Does anyone know why the cat bypass costs more for the 2013 models vs. the 2014 models?

Because its a more complex shape Y pipe configuration vs the 2014 S shape with only 1 inlet.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    The service bulletin reduces the gas boiling and heat by 40%......big help.....but the panels added reduced boiling gas and heat to almost 100%.....good luck
    The recall and service bulletins have all been completed on my ST-Limited, still have the boiling fuel which is no surprise after tearing the panels off and seeing the oven sized Cat under the fuel tank, I think for now that more air into the engine compartment will fix the issue

Jeff M.
    2017 F3-Limited

Spyder Garage

Default BRP case number

I have a case number logged with BRP for the same concerns, I have got to take it along to my dealer for them to confirm the heat issues, the problem I have at the moment is that it is winter here in New Zealand at the moment so everything is running a lot cooler at the moment. I'll have to wait a few more months for the summer to arrive.
    Alan:
    2013 Spyder ST Limited
    TBR
    Black Series Slip-On Exhaust with M-5 Carbon Canister and P1X power tip and black bolt kit
    Fox Podium shocks
    BRP Carbon black sports rack & backrest
    Custom Dynamics LED converted taillights & black tag bolts
    WrapMySpyder carbon dash kit & GT stripes & graphics
    Bestem USA carbon side fairings, belt guards & under tail
    Procoat NZ powder coated wheels
    Hydrographics NZ carbon dipped front suspension covers, billet caps and dash surround
    Spyderpops 3D SS Grille set

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NZSpyderRyder View Post
    I have a case number logged with BRP for the same concerns, I have got to take it along to my dealer for them to confirm the heat issues, the problem I have at the moment is that it is winter here in New Zealand at the moment so everything is running a lot cooler at the moment. I'll have to wait a few more months for the summer to arrive.
    I'm done dealing with BRP Care and the dealer is following the company line, just file your complaint here; https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

I think you will be surprised how fast the NHTSA moves when they get a complaint, they already have a hugh case against BRP and I see big changes coming, they have interviewed me already and are coming from Washington, DC to take photos of my bike after the new panels are installed, this will be a warranty issue in the very near future and there is also a case for the CAT under the fuel tank

Jeff M.
    2017 F3-Limited