Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    When??
    We shold organize a contest of some sort: the first one with a "Seat Of The Pants" report on record in here, should win something...
    How about their choice of either a pie or a cake faxed to them?

2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member GaryTheBadger's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I requested a test ride, got a call back from the local dealer a few hours later, its gonna be difficult, he's already sold some in advance of availability, so demo machines will be hard to keep in stock. He said he could give me a few hours' window when a new one arrives to come down and look at it, but it will likely already be someone's machine and I won't be able to drive it. IF this is all true, Can-Am will lose some sales to these. Between a Slingshot at $20k and a Spyder ST or RT for more, many will go for the Polaris.
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But you just have to realize, that they are completely different kinds of rides.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Cool

A dealer that won't let you test ride ANYTHING is a special kind of stupid!! The last thing you want is an unhappy customer running his mouth all over town / internet ... Polaris will have a demo program like every other mfr that will compensate dealerships for makin a vehicle a demo.. I would never buy anything before a test ride period and any dealer that doesn't offer them would never see my money.. Polaris is gonna sell a bunch of these cause the price is right and it seems like a good value.. I doubt it would take business away from Can Am because they are different but if they did there would be no argument from Spyder owners if the prices on Spyders came down a bit

Spyder Garage

My RED SL is on its way.... Looked at a new Spyder, and it was almost $6K more to get it ridable (bike, seat, floorboards). Since both are pure toys, I'm going for the one with a dealer network and unknown problems....
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    My RED SL is on its way.... Looked at a new Spyder, and it was almost $6K more to get it ridable (bike, seat, floorboards). Since both are pure toys, I'm going for the one with a dealer network and unknown problems....
    Is "SL" a Slingshot?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But... We're gonna just HAVE to see some pictures of you and the "bike"!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

But... We're gonna just HAVE to see some pictures of you and the "bike"!
    That is a 3 wheeled car no matter what the manufacturer says it is. A stick shift in the middle of the car? How many bikes have you ever seen like this. Besides it has a 2.4 engine in it. My car has slightly more engine.

Yes, they will sell a million of them but to me it is still a car with 3 wheels!

Spyder Garage

Cool

It's not a 3 wheeled car / it's a trike ,, a reverse trike,, just like a Spyder that you sit in vs on.. It's classified as a motorcycle in tha same way a spyder is.. A Spyder is not any more a motorcycle than a Slingshot,, although you'll hear many Spyder owners refer to them as bikes..They are not.. I'm old school,, so the rule of wheels apply in my book:: one wheel = Unicycle /2 wheels bicycle or motorcycle.. 3 wheels /tricycle / trike.. 4 wheels, wagon /car I personally can't see getting any more enjoyment out of a Slingshot than I do my Spyder ,,, just a different kind of enjoyment / It's all good I may test ride it and not like it.. I doubt it's gonna hurt Spyder sales..

Spyder Garage

The SL is the upscale model with all the bells and whistles - think RT S. A new RT S, without the things to make it a comfortable ride, is $5,000 more - then add another $1,000 for a seat & decent floorboards. Dropping to the SM would shave $1500 off the difference, but $4500 is a lot of traveling....
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by swmp321 View Post
    That is a 3 wheeled car no matter what the manufacturer says it is. A stick shift in the middle of the car? How many bikes have you ever seen like this. Besides it has a 2.4 engine in it. My car has slightly more engine.

Yes, they will sell a million of them but to me it is still a car with 3 wheels!
    I don't really care what you want to call it...
    I think that they'd be a real HOOT to ride, or drive!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Warranty on them?

Since they are sourcing their engines from GM .Can you go to the Chevy dealer for work? Or are the Polaris Mechanics going to have go to GM for training? Just seems strange that they would pick an econo box engine for their high end three wheel whatever you want to call it. Trike,three car? Seems that if it has a steering wheel and not handle bars? Who do you wave to cars? Trikes? Whatever it is .It is pretty cool and a really bold move by Polaris to try and cut into the rising Can-Am market.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In a vehicle like the Slingshot; you can pretty much wave to everybody...

Spyder Garage

I agree with the wave bit.... According to Polaris, hard choices needed to be made to keep the Slingshot "affordable" - this meant a "mainstream" driveline. The GM unit is rated at 170hp stock, which is plenty for a road-able SxS. Even the Morgan, which uses a Hardley driveline, costs over 2X, and is not "available" in the US. Kudos for Polaris for all of this.

Yes, driveline parts are available at any GM dealer. The rest are Polaris speciality parts.

Now, back to the Spyder - if Polaris is successful, I have no doubt that Can Am will field something similar very soon, with one of the upmarket Rotax drivelines on board. With the price of our toys approaching, and often surpassing the cost of a daily use car, look for more and more overlap. Also, it appears that Big Brother has given the market a crack in the regulatory window, allowing vehicles like the Slingshot on the road as a "motorcycle". I see this as the next wave of "city cars".

Now compare the Slingshot with the Smart Car - which would you buy??? I already voted..
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now compare the Slingshot with the Smart Car - which would you buy??? I already voted..
    Slingshot!

Spyder Garage

I agree with the wave bit.... According to Polaris, hard choices needed to be made to keep the Slingshot "affordable" - this meant a "mainstream" driveline. The GM unit is rated at 170hp stock, which is plenty for a road-able SxS. Even the Morgan, which uses a Hardley driveline, costs over 2X, and is not "available" in the US. Kudos for Polaris for all of this.

Yes, driveline parts are available at any GM dealer. The rest are Polaris speciality parts.

Now, back to the Spyder - if Polaris is successful, I have no doubt that Can Am will field something similar very soon, with one of the upmarket Rotax drivelines on board. With the price of our toys approaching, and often surpassing the cost of a daily use car, look for more and more overlap. Also, it appears that Big Brother has given the market a crack in the regulatory window, allowing vehicles like the Slingshot on the road as a "motorcycle". I see this as the next wave of "city cars".

RE; the Morgan, Morgan is building their trike under license from Ace Cycle Car in Seattle, engine is an S&S X-Wedge.
    As for the Smart Car, my Stepson has one with a 'Busa powertrain, guess which one I'd pick.

john

Spyder Garage

Mine has a five (5) year warranty...
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

(Sorry if i missed an earlier answer...)
    Did they say when you'd be able to take possession of it?

Spyder Garage

Cool

(Sorry if i missed an earlier answer...)
    Did they say when you'd be able to take possession of it?
    Sept/ Oct

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool!
    That is MUCH faster than I anticipated...

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I don't care what the government classifies the slingshot as i say it is a car, a great looking fun to drive car, a 2 seater car. I might consider one but i am not going to give up my spyder MOTORCYCLE. I would expect the slingshot will get more head turns then our 'bikes' but that won't stop me from having fun.
    Anyone who wants to sell their 2013 or 2014 rt-s & buy the slingshot i will make a standing offer of $6,000 for your bike.
    Does anyone know what the storage capacity is the the slingshot or if it is capable of towing?

Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    I don't care what the government classifies the slingshot as i say it is a car, a great looking fun to drive car, a 2 seater car. I might consider one but i am not going to give up my spyder MOTORCYCLE. I would expect the slingshot will get more head turns then our 'bikes' but that won't stop me from having fun.
    Anyone who wants to sell their 2013 or 2014 rt-s & buy the slingshot i will make a standing offer of $6,000 for your bike.
    Does anyone know what the storage capacity is the the slingshot or if it is capable of towing?
    Please scream in front of a group of Motorcyclists that your Spyder is a motorcycle and PLEASE have the video on your camera turned on... It's a free country you can call anything whatever you want but on planet earth we call things with 3 wheels Trikes

Spyder Garage

Well, Uncle Sugar calls the Spyder a motorcycle, and also calls the Slingshot a motorcycle. You have to have a motorcycle endorsement, and wear a motorcycle helmet (here) on/in all motorcycles and scooters - out here, if an electric bicycle exceeds 20mph, it must be licensed as a motorcycle, an endorsement is required, and you have to wear a DOT approved helmet.... both are listed a motorcycles by the insurance companies... Say what you will -

Bottom line both are motorcycles.....
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Default Car/bike /trike

In New Zealand the Syder is classed as a CAR, so we can drive it on a standard CAR licence, but because it hasn't got seat belts we have to wear a helmet.
    The Slingshot, which I'm very interested in and hope will arrive in New Zealand in 2015, has got seat belts, so we shouldn't have to wear a crash helmet.
    I sent an e mail to Polaris NZ a week ago enquiring whether we will see the Slingshot and when in New Zealand, but as yet I haven't received a reply.

It looks awesome and I'm happy whatever you want to call it.
    So it looks like one sale BRP has lost and I think there will be many more.
    Alan:
    2013 Spyder ST Limited
    TBR
    Black Series Slip-On Exhaust with M-5 Carbon Canister and P1X power tip and black bolt kit
    Fox Podium shocks
    BRP Carbon black sports rack & backrest
    Custom Dynamics LED converted taillights & black tag bolts
    WrapMySpyder carbon dash kit & GT stripes & graphics
    Bestem USA carbon side fairings, belt guards & under tail
    Procoat NZ powder coated wheels
    Hydrographics NZ carbon dipped front suspension covers, billet caps and dash surround
    Spyderpops 3D SS Grille set

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    Careful about rash statements...
    There's no tow hitch available for it... YET!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike,P View Post
    Please scream in front of a group of Motorcyclists that your Spyder is a motorcycle and PLEASE have the video on your camera turned on... It's a free country you can call anything whatever you want but on planet earth we call things with 3 wheels Trikes
    I want to be there to watch what happens!

Well, Uncle Sugar calls the Spyder a motorcycle, and also calls the Slingshot a motorcycle. You have to have a motorcycle endorsement, and wear a motorcycle helmet (here) on/in all motorcycles and scooters - out here, if an electric bicycle exceeds 20mph, it must be licensed as a motorcycle, an endorsement is required, and you have to wear a DOT approved helmet.... both are listed a motorcycles by the insurance companies... Say what you will -
    It all depends on how your State defines "Automobile". In New York; they've got FOUR wheels... any less, and it's a motorcycle!
    (For now)

Bottom line both are motorcycles.....
    Here in New York; if it's got less than four wheels... it's a bike!
    Spec... you should know that already!

Quote Originally Posted by NZSpyderRyder View Post
    In New Zealand the Syder is classed as a CAR, so we can drive it on a standard CAR licence, but because it hasn't got seat belts we have to wear a helmet.
    The Slingshot, which I'm very interested in and hope will arrive in New Zealand in 2015, has got seat belts, so we shouldn't have to wear a crash helmet.
    I sent an e mail to Polaris NZ a week ago enquiring whether we will see the Slingshot and when in New Zealand, but as yet I haven't received a reply.

It looks awesome and I'm happy whatever you want to call it.
    So it looks like one sale BRP has lost and I think there will be many more.
    Every jurisdiction has it's own way of dealing with them...
    Sooooo... Do you ride your Spyder? Or DRIVE it?