Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Question: 2014 RT Rear Tire - any luck with BRP to help with replacement labor cost

I know there's been a lot of threads on tires for the 2014 RT rear tire....

Just wondering if anyone has been successful for BRP to help out with costs for the first replacement?

I have my 2014 RT going into the dealer in about 3 weeks and will be replacing the OEM rear tire with the Kumho Ecsta AST (same size as OEM). The Spyder will have around 7500 miles on it by then and don't dare go much more with that OEM tire.

I've sent an email to BRP, but they said to talk to the dealer. It's not a dealer issue, it's a spec. issue with BRP. All I would ask BRP to do is pay for the labor to replace it as I already purchased the tire.

Anyways, any advice / input would be appreciated. I will take photos and odometer reading for documentation -- here's what it looks like now.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Not yet..!!

as far as I know there hasbeen nothing...there was the mention of a bad batch, guess they have to deal with the manufacturer...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Your tire looks just like mine did at about the same miles. Haven't heard of anyone getting anywhere on the rears. Some did get their front tires replaced though. You may want to keep the tire, I had the tire shop dispose of mine which may not have been a good idea.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Here are pictures of mine

2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The trick with tires...

...You have no proof whatsoever of how careful and gentle of a rider you are on the bike.
    They'd have some warranty claims adjuster accuse you of putting so much rubber down on the roads (probably while drunk to the gills!), that the Towns around you had to bring in road-graders, to clean the mess up...

I wish you the best of luck; but I'd not sit with your "hand on your fanny", waiting for the check!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The trick with tires...

...You have no proof whatsoever of how careful and gentle of a rider you are on the bike.
    They'd have some warranty claims adjuster accuse you of putting so much rubber down on the roads (probably while drunk to the gills!), that the Towns around you had to bring in road-graders, to clean the mess up...

I wish you the best of luck; but I'd not sit with your "hand on your fanny", waiting for the check!
    You're right Bob! In my opinion, it's not a warranty issue as much as a known issue across the board with this 2014 RT rear tire. That's why I sent BRP an email hoping they knew that it was a known premature wearing tire and would "assist" with a portion of the first tire replacement. It's more the principle than the $'s here. I am ready to pay for the tire change, just checking the integrity of BRP to see if they stand behind their vehicles (especially one that cost over $30K!).

The BUDS report I received at my first service shows what RPM's etc. that I've been running -- which is conservative and so BRP would have documentation as the "type" of driver I am. You are absolutely correct that they do not know if I'm burning the tire off by laying down rubber somewhere - but I'm not....

Tires are tricky and you would think BRP would go back to the supplier, Kenda, for a refund on a tire that wears prematurely for many of us that have the 2014 RT. Maybe BRP will not go back to Kenda as BRP probably spec'ed the tire. There are so many of us with this same wear pattern and premature tire life with the 2014 RT.....

I hope my Kumho will get at least 15K miles....we will see! Oh well, out with the old (Kenda) and in with the new (Kumho)!
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 07-31-2014 at 05:55 PM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's right: you got the "junk" out from under your trunk, and now you've got some of the good stuff out back!
    (I like the idea of the BUDS report, showing rpm ranges... )

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    That's right: you got the "junk" out from under your trunk, and now you've got some of the good stuff out back!
    (I like the idea of the BUDS report, showing rpm ranges... )
    Yes, all I had to do is ask my dealer for the BUDS report and they printed it out for me. Here's a photo of the RPM ranges - probably hard to read but I'll summarize:

Page 6 of 6 of this BUDS report:
    First graph is "normal" run time at 100% Limp Home 0%
    Second graph is RPM's
    0-1999 rpm's 23.32%
    2000-3999 rpm's 75.46%
    6000-7499 rpm's 1.22%
    7500-8499 rpm's 0%
    8500+ rpm's 0%

Nice to have, don't know if I'll have one printed for each time in the shop!
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 07-31-2014 at 06:40 PM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

It can't hurt if everyone with premature wear on their tires would email BRP and register their displeasure with the Kendas.

2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    It can't hurt if everyone with premature wear on their tires would email BRP and register their displeasure with the Kendas.
    I just wanted BRP to know about this issue. I'm sure they read this forum, but in order to have action done, you need to let them know that you have an issue and what it is. Our 2014 RT Limited is an awesome motorcycle - great machine. Only issue is this darn rear tire. Not a big problem, but you would think they could have spec'ed or designed a better rear tire for a $30K motorcycle! IMHO

If nothing happens, at least I tried..... I will be giving my dealer the letter from BRP and let them address it when I have the new tire mounted. I am fully aware (and willing) to pay for this...just seems wrong.....who buys a new vehicle and replaces a tire, at their costs, within the first 8,000 miles?????
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 07-31-2014 at 08:41 PM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JLSpyder2012 View Post
    I just wanted BRP to know about this issue. I'm sure they read this forum, but in order to have action done, you need to let them know that you have an issue and what it is. Our 2014 RT Limited is an awesome motorcycle - great machine. Only issue is this darn rear tire. Not a big problem, but you would think they could have spec'ed or designed a better rear tire for a $30K motorcycle! IMHO

If nothing happens, at least I tried..... I will be giving my dealer the letter from BRP and let them address it when I have the new tire mounted. I am fully aware (and willing) to pay for this...just seems wrong.....who buys a new vehicle and replaces a tire, at their costs, within the first 8,000 miles?????
    My 2011 RT was not much better. It went 9500 before the rear tire change. Now have a Michelin Hydroedge. 9000 miles and still looks new.

Current: 2018 F3 Limited
    Previous: 2011 RT with 622 Trailer

Mods:
    F4 Customs 25" Windshield
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    Spyderpops Top Case/Seat Extender
    TackForm Phone Mount
    Lamonster Ram Ball Handlebar Mount
    Show Chrome Passenger Armrests

Spyder Garage

Default Any Issue needs to go through Dealer

Have your dealer file a warranty issue repair order with BRP. BRP requires everything to be initiated and verified through an authorized dealer. That is Step 1. Costs nothing other than time to file incident report for warranty claim.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

I agree with Ann that if you're just trying to document unsatisfactory mileage out of the tire, then by all means. However, if you are truly expecting them to acknowledge a flaw and pay for it, then I believe you're mistaken.

Honestly, 7500 miles out of the rear Kenda is well within the ballpark for a performance "motorcycle" road tire, so from BRP's perspective I'm sure nothing is wrong with it. Now, as an owner, that's not really the way I see it, but that's different.

Spyder Garage

Default There was a time

some years ago when 2-wheel performance tires, i.e., BMW were routinely replaced at about 7500 miles. While that experience is in the past, I seriously doubt any "normal wear" part will receive even a good will warranty.
    Doug Barnes
    James 4:17

all on two wheels. More on four or more. Guess I may need to start multi-coloring for three wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are these considered "performance" tires? It's a touring motorcycle!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Mine is almost gone at 6.5k so same problem here. I have an RTse6 so no burns outs are possible. These new factory tires are awful for wear but I dare not use a kumo again due to hydroplaning.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Are these considered "performance" tires? It's a touring motorcycle!
    I don't and I agree with you; however, I don't think BRP will see it that way. Especially, when it comes to publicly acknowledging a problem and then having to pay for it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    Mine is almost gone at 6.5k so same problem here. I have an RTse6 so no burns outs are possible. These new factory tires are awful for wear but I dare not use a kumo again due to hydroplaning.
    Plenty of other choices out there.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

At 10,000 km's down to wear bars rear tire on my 2014 rt. called brp got typical response, waste of time. dropped pressure from 28psi to 20psi, and have got 2,000 more kms. putting on an arachnid this week, hope it lasts longer, if not will try something else. will never buy another kenda tire ever, and will never give brp another cent if i can buy what i need aftermarket. i have posted a video on u-tube i made of my rear tire at speeds up to 130 km/hr. there is no ballooning like some claim, the problem with these kenda tires is they are defective.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by the penguin View Post
    At 10,000 km's down to wear bars rear tire on my 2014 rt. called brp got typical response, waste of time. dropped pressure from 28psi to 20psi, and have got 2,000 more kms. putting on an arachnid this week, hope it lasts longer, if not will try something else. will never buy another kenda tire ever, and will never give brp another cent if i can buy what i need aftermarket. i have posted a video on u-tube i made of my rear tire at speeds up to 130 km/hr. there is no ballooning like some claim, the problem with these kenda tires is they are defective.
    Hi, this is a really old thread and BRP changed the compound for the rear tire around June of 2014 so if your tire has a date of 2614 or later it should be the new compound. The Arachnid is a soft tire like the Kenda so don't expect to get any better wear out of it. I have worn out 1 Kenda and 2 Arachnids on my 2014 RT. If you are looking for longer tire wear try a car tire like a Kumho Ecsta AST

2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Soft tires

Motorcycles have tires that wear pretty quickly. Just a fact. That Spyders get 20,000 on the front tires and 7-10,000 on the rear is typical and normal. And great! Tires that stick prevent crashes! Remember, it is not a car, so don't expect car mileage. Be happy they stick!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tires aren't meant to last forever...

If they did; what would we talk about in here?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Motorcycles have tires that wear pretty quickly. Just a fact. That Spyders get 20,000 on the front tires and 7-10,000 on the rear is typical and normal. And great! Tires that stick prevent crashes! Remember, it is not a car, so don't expect car mileage. Be happy they stick!

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

its no doubt the Kenda tires supplied on some of the 2014 are substandard... I am waiting for someone to have a blowout or a wreck because these "premature wearing out of one of these factory installed substandard tires" and find a good lawyer... I bet BRP will wish they had replaced these defective tires... sometimes it does not pay to "roll the dice"

osm
    Last edited by Orange Spyder Man; 09-01-2015 at 07:35 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Hi, this is a really old thread and BRP changed the compound for the rear tire around June of 2014 so if your tire has a date of 2614 or later it should be the new compound. The Arachnid is a soft tire like the Kenda so don't expect to get any better wear out of it. I have worn out 1 Kenda and 2 Arachnids on my 2014 RT. If you are looking for longer tire wear try a car tire like a Kumho Ecsta AST
    bought mine and started driving in april 2014, so old compound. when i talked to brp, they never mentioned changing compounds, told me i had to buy same tire, pay and wait for them to "look into it".