Thread: RSS vs ST

Spyder Garage

Default RSS vs ST

I asked this in the RS forum but got no responses, maybe the RS guys don't like even considering the ST :P

I test drove the ST while my RS was in the shop the other day. It was fun but obviously felt much different, much more so than I was expecting actually.

I'm not sure if its for me, though my back does get sore on my RS.

With the 2015s coming up, I'm considering purchasing a new spyder if they make improvements in the RS line (new engine, etc)

Has anyone moved from an RS to an ST and care to share how it is the same / different?
    It definitely didn't have as much of an acceleration feel to it even though it did accelerate nicely. I don't know if that has to do with the slight change in rider position because it doesn't seem like that much heavier of a machine.

Thoughts and experiences you'd like to share?
    Would I be losing the sporty soul that I enjoy at the moment?

(Makes me wish they would merge the RS and ST, put an adjustable position handlebar system in and an adjustable backrest, so I could chose the type of riding I want to do... but I'm sure both RS and ST guys would be screaming about that hahaha)

Current Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2015 Spyder F3-S with Heated Handle Grips, Gauge Spoiler, Fog Lights, 12V port, Akrapovic Exhaust, Driver and Passenger Backrests

Previous Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2012 Spyder RS-S with Can-Am Comfort Seat, Comfort Grips, Rigid Saddle Bags, HID lights, Fog Lghts, 12V Accessory port, Trunk Liner, Hindle exhaust, Flash2Pass, SpyderPops BumpSkid, Side Grilles, Missing Air Dam, Air Management System, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Choices choices..!!

Although I have an RS and set up just the way I like it. I would not go to the ST because it has more touring and comfort but less power and handling. Now if you need or want more comfort storage and sound perhaps cruise control it is great but you give up to get it. You should wait for the 2015's and see if they do make any changes though I doubt it. Take another test ryde maybe a bit longer...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Just like to mention that my friend who recently bought an RSS has been complaining of neck pain whenever he takes
    a longer ride with his Spyder. I never experience this issue with our STS. Obviously the more upright riding position on the STS helps reduce neck/back issues and is more comfortable to ride over longer periods.

You might like to consider raising your handle bars.

Spyder Garage

After putting over 66,000 miles on a pair of GS (earlier version of RS) models, I bought a 2013 ST-S last August. Have ridden the ST-S for over 9,000 miles, still have one of my 2008 GS Spyders.

I bought the ST-S for the riding position, slightly more upright and comfortable, great for the back. But it is heavier, slower, and the handling was YUCK.

So I first installed a BajaRon sway bar and then a set of Fox Podum shocks up front, now it handles much more like the GS/RS. But it accelerates so much slower, has much less top end (like 105 vs. 115). Yes the 2008 has the 990 engine and the 2013 has the 991, same basic engine but the 991 has a flatter torque curve, where the 990 has a stronger peak and for sure pulls harder. You would swear it is a 10-15 HP difference, but it is not that much, it just feels that way with the extra weight of the ST-S.

You asked "Would I be losing the sporty soul that I enjoy at the moment?"

To that I say yes. It is not the same, but that should be expected. The ST is much closer to the RT in character than its is the RS. The ST is not smack in between the RS and RT, it is closer to the RT in character.

If you make the switch you would soon lose the perspective of the RS and get used to the ST. I switch back and forth between the two and every time I get on the GS/RS I say, "wow what a rocketship compared to the ST. Man does this thing rail. Crap my back is getting sore."

But I love my ST-S. Now that it handles better. Just wish it was more like the GS/RS. Hope this helps!

2021 RT Limited - Deep Marsala Red – 4,200 miles

2013 ST-S SE-5 - Circuit Yellow – 56,000 miles

2015 F3-S SM-6
    - Can-Am Red Solid Gloss – 2,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #659
    - Full Moon – 34,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #006
    - Full Moon – 34,800 miles - SOLD

Spyder Garage

Default Try this, the same question was asked earlier

2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Although I have an RS and set up just the way I like it. I would not go to the ST because it has more touring and comfort but less power and handling. Now if you need or want more comfort storage and sound perhaps cruise control it is great but you give up to get it. You should wait for the 2015's and see if they do make any changes though I doubt it. Take another test ryde maybe a bit longer...
    Not meaning to be rude, but I have a 2013 ST SM5 and my partner has a 2011 RSS, we ride mainly with other RS/RSS riders and I have no problem keeping up with them, whether it is on the open road or twisties, the difference in power and handling is minimal in my opinion.
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Not meaning to be rude, but I have a 2013 ST SM5 and my partner has a 2011 RSS, we ride mainly with other RS/RSS riders and I have no problem keeping up with them, whether it is on the open road or twisties, the difference in power and handling is minimal in my opinion.

I will also add that our neibor has a 2012 RSS and one day we passed him at intersection. He was then behind us the rest of the way home and the one road has several 90 deg corners. I was riding 2 up and he was solo. It seemed that we pulled some distance from him in the corners. (I dont know how hard he was or was not pushing it) But when we got back he seemed very impressed with the way our ST cornered. That was before we put on the Elka's. That was all stock with just the RON bar. Now it corners even better with the Elka's installed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dguisinger View Post
    I asked this in the RS forum but got no responses, maybe the RS guys don't like even considering the ST :P

I test drove the ST while my RS was in the shop the other day. It was fun but obviously felt much different, much more so than I was expecting actually.

I'm not sure if its for me, though my back does get sore on my RS.

With the 2015s coming up, I'm considering purchasing a new spyder if they make improvements in the RS line (new engine, etc)

Has anyone moved from an RS to an ST and care to share how it is the same / different?
    It definitely didn't have as much of an acceleration feel to it even though it did accelerate nicely. I don't know if that has to do with the slight change in rider position because it doesn't seem like that much heavier of a machine.

Thoughts and experiences you'd like to share?
    Would I be losing the sporty soul that I enjoy at the moment?

(Makes me wish they would merge the RS and ST, put an adjustable position handlebar system in and an adjustable backrest, so I could chose the type of riding I want to do... but I'm sure both RS and ST guys would be screaming about that hahaha)
    I too have considered switching from my 2012 rss to the st.

I test rode the sts several months back when I still lived in Florida and to be honest I did not notice a lack of power or handling in fact the sts seemed to turn in much quicker and I never hit the "granny" system.?/

I have a power commander with the wide band o2 and have my rss running really well I also have my shocks pinned as tight as they will go and up here in the mountains now I hit the damn "granny" system all the time.... its rather frustrating.

My dad rides with me all the time on his RT and while I am quicker then him that is mainly due to me being a more aggressive rider..... My bike is faster than him but not by wide margins its more rider than bike power that makes the big difference between us.

All that being said I am still intrested in the sts I really did not feel like the sts was lacking in power or handling when I rode it in fact I really enjoyed it for the hour I was on it.
    Maybe I was lucky and test rode one that was set up right.... maybe I am just looking for something new but I have two friends who went from an rss to an sts and they love the sts and showed no problems keeping up in acceleration and cornering.

I am still up in the air on what I will do ... time will tell... and another test ride =)