Spyder Garage

Default Electrical Noise -- Long

On my 2014, I have the CB, mp3, gps comm system installed. On the 2014 and the previous 2013, I had CB, radio, mp3 and gps but have never had a working iPhone as part of the system. Just this week I had my dealer install a better gps connection thinking that it would solve the problem; it didn't.

After that installation here is what I have done:

1. I have shut off the VOX and set the intercom mic to off. This means that any sound in the system is not influenced by these two settings.

2. I have decided to use the gps unit as the mp3 player. Thus, I removed my 3S iPhone from the rear trunk which I had been using to play mp3 tunes. All music is now played from the gps into the comm system.

3. Standing still, I can hear anyone I phone perfectly. The music plays, shuts down with the phone connection and returns when the phone is hung up.

4. BUT, when I start riding my voice disappears into a background noise and the person on the phone can't make out what I am saying. When I first tested this, I had on my 3/4 helmet so I assumed it was wind even though the mic was well up under the shield and was close to my mouth. So, I returned and changed my helmet to a full face version thinking that might lessen the wind noise but the result was the same as with the 3/4 helmet.

5. I then parked the bike on a side-street while in phone conversation with a friend; in other words, there was no wind on the mic. He could hear me fine. Then I increased the engine rpm to 2500 and my voice disappeared in the noise. This suggests that the cable installed this week is not electronically shielded to stop spark plug, alternator, etc. electrical noise.

In the 3/4 helmet there may be SOME wind noise but it seems clear that the problem is electrical noise affecting cables and/or connections.

Have others had this problem of electrical noise blanking out phone connections?
    What did you do to solve it?
    Did you shield the comm cables?

ken tompkins

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What version of software does your Zumo have?

Did you test the GPS mic to see if the interface cable is connected backwards?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would guess you do not have a noise cancelling Mike like my BT does.

Spyder Garage

Yes, I have the Zumo 665 and it has the latest upgrade. I have not tested the gps mic (the previous installation where the gps directions were sent through the gps speakers was the reason why we changed the handle bar connector. Now the gps directions come through the helmet so I assumed that the mic had been turned off) but I will shortly. Thanks, Steve, for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedfive View Post
    What version of software does your Zumo have?

Did you test the GPS mic to see if the interface cable is connected backwards?

Spyder Garage

I have the BRP mic in my full-faced helmet and the J&M mic in my 3/4 helmet.

kt

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    I would guess you do not have a noise cancelling Mike like my BT does.

Spyder Garage

I have the built-in speakers turrned off so I assume the automatic volume is also off. Good question. I will check it. Thanks....

kt

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    Here's a shoot from the hip comment from someone who really hasn't a clue -
    Is your radio set to automatically increase in volume as you ride?

I know that setting exists but can't say it would influence the system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kentompkins View Post
    I have the built-in speakers turrned off so I assume the automatic volume is also off. Good question. I will check it. Thanks....

kt
    Ken, do you have the speakers turned off as a setting or did you do something else to turn them off? I'm curious why you would turn them off. I don't have as sophisticated of a system as you but my phone works just great through my Scala G9. I like that if I am on the intercom and my GPS from my phone has a direction to give me it will come through the Spyder speakers so I don't miss a turn.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

SpyderAnn01....

I wasn't clear in this response. What I should have said is that I have the BUILT-IN speakers turned off. Rattigan-Roger wondered if I had enabled the setting where the built-in speakers shift the volume down when you slow down and increase when at highway speed. On my setup, they are turned off. Wasn't clear.

kt

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Ken, do you have the speakers turned off as a setting or did you do something else to turn them off? I'm curious why you would turn them off. I don't have as sophisticated of a system as you but my phone works just great through my Scala G9. I like that if I am on the intercom and my GPS from my phone has a direction to give me it will come through the Spyder speakers so I don't miss a turn.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kentompkins View Post
    SpyderAnn01....

I wasn't clear in this response. What I should have said is that I have the BUILT-IN speakers turned off. Rattigan-Roger wondered if I had enabled the setting where the built-in speakers shift the volume down when you slow down and increase when at highway speed. On my setup, they are turned off. Wasn't clear.

kt
    In the audio settings there is also a "headset mode". I have no clue what it does as I don't have the wired headset setup. Maybe something there?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Also one other comment.

When I made my own GPS cable which connects to a connector right next to the radio, and ran the cable up to my dash I had issues. Any signal on that cable tells the radio to shut everything off except the GPS input. It's suppose to do that.... e.g. GPS has priority. But I was having issues with it intermittently cutting off the audio as it was getting some kind of noise on the cable every now and then. I really noticed one day on a hot dry day as I was cleaning my spyder. I basically was producing static discharges on the panels and the cable would pick this up. At that point I realized what was going on! I replace the cable I made with a shielded cable and grounded the shield at the radio and at the dash. I never had the issue again after that.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black