Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Last year; their big announcement came on September 15th at 8:00 PM EST...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    I'm not sure about that. I cannot see it being "cool".
    Then open your eyes, my Spyderloving friend, and ye shall see...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUT3imO17qE#t=75

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chFpOmj78NQ#t=105

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    Then open your eyes, my Spyderloving friend, and ye shall see...
    OK, I concede... that's cool!

But not as cool as riding down the highway (or the back roads) on a BIG cruiser was for me, or a Ninja ZX rider in the twistys for those into sport bikes. Although that 3-wheeler absorbed some side forces in the turns, you still can't counter-steer the thing!!! Yeah, it took twistys better than the Spyder does, but he still had to steer it though. I grant that it would be fun for a while, but I just can't see any long-term appeal, either for bikers or Spyder-lovers.

The Spyder is also cool, but in a "snow mobile" kind of way. I enjoy the side forces on the Spyder and I also enjoy that it does not "pretend" to be a 2-wheeled motorcycle.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's another one that shows some definite promise...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Here's another one that shows some definite promise...
    That's a real contender, IMHO.

But no frunk!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It probably couldn't stand to have much bodywork cluttering up it's nose; it's Harley-powered!
    Airflow; is probably at a premium!

Spyder Garage

I'm Curious: Did they get rid of the HID light options on the 2014s or is it now included stock? The specs look like they say halogen ... The HID was one of my favorite accessories on my 2012.

Current Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2015 Spyder F3-S with Heated Handle Grips, Gauge Spoiler, Fog Lights, 12V port, Akrapovic Exhaust, Driver and Passenger Backrests

Previous Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2012 Spyder RS-S with Can-Am Comfort Seat, Comfort Grips, Rigid Saddle Bags, HID lights, Fog Lghts, 12V Accessory port, Trunk Liner, Hindle exhaust, Flash2Pass, SpyderPops BumpSkid, Side Grilles, Missing Air Dam, Air Management System, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For those who do not like what a leaning trike can do, how it does it, and the added fun it provides; I suggest you simply look at the Piaggio scooter. It has been out for several years and has been a huge success for the company.

A leaning Spyder would appeal to many in my opinion -- including myself. I would trade the second BRP comes out with one. The lean of my motorcycle is what I miss the most when I am on my Spyder. The Spyder feels too much like an ATV or snowmobile; and the lateral jerkiness is one of the consumers' biggest complaints about a Spyder. In fact, it is the first complaint for most.

A leaning Spyder would solve that problem.

Here is a link to a review on the Piaggio. It is a quick-read. The lean factor provides an added element of fun and excitement when riding it; and there are safety features to keep it upright at slow-speeds or when parking.

http://www.mcnews.com.au/piaggio-mp3-300/

Here is a video of it in action.

videoplayback

Spyder Garage

Depending on how they do it, i would think you could make one where the leaning is able to be turned on or off based on your riding style or mood.

Current Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2015 Spyder F3-S with Heated Handle Grips, Gauge Spoiler, Fog Lights, 12V port, Akrapovic Exhaust, Driver and Passenger Backrests

Previous Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2012 Spyder RS-S with Can-Am Comfort Seat, Comfort Grips, Rigid Saddle Bags, HID lights, Fog Lghts, 12V Accessory port, Trunk Liner, Hindle exhaust, Flash2Pass, SpyderPops BumpSkid, Side Grilles, Missing Air Dam, Air Management System, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post
    For those who do not like what a leaning trike can do, how it does it, and the added fun it provides; I suggest you simply look at the Piaggio scooter. It has been out for several years and has been a huge success for the company.

http://www.mcnews.com.au/piaggio-mp3-300/

Here is a video of it in action.

videoplayback
    Now, that IS COOL! It looks like a lot of fun too, except that it's rather small. 278cc on something that small would move it along rather well, though.

I got a kick out of the line in their write-up that said, "The only thing that a Can Am Spyder has in common with a motorcycle is that you get wet in the rain." Not sure I entirely agree that's the ONLY thing, but hey, it's their ad.

When I bought the Spyder, I gave my big touring bike to my son who enjoys the heck out of it. But I still have a 20 year old 250 cc Honda Helix scooter, that's fun to zip around town on. free-random-smileys-215.gif Every once in a while, when I feel the urge to counter-steer, I hop on it and go for a ride. It's rather long for a scooter and accommodates my long legs.

Helix-3-2.jpg
    Last edited by robmorg; 07-06-2014 at 12:19 AM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Now, that IS COOL! It looks like a lot of fun too, except that it's rather small. 278cc on something that small would move it along rather well, though. I got a kick out of the line in their write-up that said, "The only thing that a Can Am Spyder has in common with a motorcycle is that you get wet in the rain." Not sure I entirely agree that's the ONLY thing, but hey, it's their ad. When I bought the Spyder, I gave my big touring bike to my son who enjoys the heck out of it. But I still have a 20 year old 250 cc Honda Helix scooter, that's fun to zip around town on. free-random-smileys-215.gif Every once in a while, when I feel the urge to counter-steer, I hop on it and go for a ride. It's rather long for a scooter and accommodates my long legs.
    I caught that statement also; but to some degree it is true. Spyders are not motorcycles, not even close. They are more like ATV's than a motorcycle. I, personally, do not even like when someone refers to them as a "bike". If anything, call it a trike.

However, I would like to see the leaning technology employed into the Spyder. I am afraid of what the price would be though. Can you imagine?

Spyder Garage

2015 entry level Spyder

2014 RTS SE6 White
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Elka front shocks supplied by Pitbull Power sports.
    Aligned By Squared Away
    Smooth Spyder belt tensioner
    Sprderpops Bump skid
    BRP TRI AXSIS Handle bars
    Luggage rack
    2013 STS SE5 Circuit Yellow. The Jenny Mobile!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post
    Completely different animal. How wide are the front wheels on the Piaggio? Much more narrow of a trike than the Spyder. I just don't see it working as well.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NetJunkie View Post
    Completely different animal. How wide are the front wheels on the Piaggio? Much more narrow of a trike than the Spyder. I just don't see it working as well.
    The width of the Piaggio is not an indication of the limit of the technology. There is a video on this thread using the same lean technology on a wider front-end (nearly the Spyder width); so I am not sure what you cannot see.

It isn't rocket science we are speaking of. It is just a matter of whether the market will buy one, and if it can be made in a price-range for the market. Nothing more, nothing less.

Spyder Garage

If I wanted to lean I would buy a motorcycle. I happen to love the way this machine rides. Instead of dreaming up ways to change the machine, why not try learning how to ride it properly?

Just sayin'...........
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by otter28169 View Post
    If I wanted to lean I would buy a motorcycle. I happen to love the way this machine rides. Instead of dreaming up ways to change the machine, why not try learning how to ride it properly?

Just sayin'...........
    Whats wrong with a base model that doesn't lean, and a higher end model that can both lean and be locked in a rigid mode?

Current Spyder:

Previous Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dguisinger View Post
    Whats wrong with a base model that doesn't lean, and a higher end model that can both lean and be locked in a rigid mode?
    I don't want a base model, I don't need a leaner, and I don't need every option under the sun either. I need a more HP with the same basic design. I want to enjoy the thrill. I am not worried about having a radio or being economical.

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

I don't want a base model, I don't need a leaner, and I don't need every option under the sun either. I need a more HP with the same basic design. I want to enjoy the thrill. I am not worried about having a radio or being economical.

Just sayin'............
    THIS! THIS! That's all I want on the 2015 RS-S.

Spyder Garage

Just sayin'............
    Your RSS already has suspension adjustment options. Again, what is wrong with a mechanical lock that either puts it in one mode or the other? You are the only one talking about radios

Current Spyder:

Previous Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Your RSS already has suspension adjustment options. Again, what is wrong with a mechanical lock that either puts it in one mode or the other? You are the only one talking about radios
    One more articulation in the front end to put up with the constant abuse "spirited" riding provides. How are you gonna switch tires to get a narrower tire for the lean? Or, even worse, how would you corner flat on an ultra narrow tire designed for leaners? And what about the width of the front end: to corner flat you need a wide front end which is not conducive to leaning. I am tired of hearing everyone complain about the handling and options on there machines. I am tired of hearing that the RS is an entry level model. Leaning is a motorcycle thing if you want to lean, buy a motorcycle.

Just sayin'............

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

One more articulation in the front end to put up with the constant abuse "spirited" riding provides. How are you gonna switch tires to get a narrower tire for the lean? Or, even worse, how would you corner flat on an ultra narrow tire designed for leaners? And what about the width of the front end: to corner flat you need a wide front end which is not conducive to leaning. I am tired of hearing everyone complain about the handling and options on there machines. I am tired of hearing that the RS is an entry level model. Leaning is a motorcycle thing if you want to lean, buy a motorcycle.

Just sayin'............
    Why do the tires need to lean, the body itself can lean and the wheels can stay flat. Its all in how you design something.

Current Spyder:

Previous Spyder:

Spyder Garage

More complexity. More weight. Unneeded.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NetJunkie View Post
    More complexity. More weight. Unneeded.
    Blah blah blah

Current Spyder:

Previous Spyder:

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Blah blah blah

Well, that's helpful.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 0992 View Post
    These rumors only but I'm hearing talk about 2 different things.

1. a hybrid
    2.a new one selling for under $10K new

Just rumors
    Yes, I did hear about #2. Guess BRP wants to make available a cheaper Spyder to broaden their market to include
    younger riders with a smaller budget.

Didn't hear anything about a hydrid, but if if does hapen I would likely wait a couple of years for them to de-bug the powertrain.