Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm melting...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tedlmac View Post
    I had a three bar plus terrible heat problem on mt 2013 rt-s, se5. Fan continually running. Course, I rode in south florida and sort of expected that for a machine designed in far north country. Than I look at the air deflectors just below the mirrors and could not understand using my aero background how deflecting that air would do anything but trap heat so I promptly removed both of them. Temp gauge backed down one complete bar with fan going on only occasionally now. I am reading here and studying other what sound like great fixes but for now I can at least ride comfortably.
    Has anyone else had any experience like this and does anyone see any problem with removing the air deflectors?
    I remove mine every summer. That plus Baker Wings, makes all the difference riding comfortably in the summer in East TN

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderDuck View Post
    I am accustomed to an RS without air deflectors. The RT has no air flow, and it is pretty miserable in high temperatures. How can I substantially improve the amount of air on my body? I have a mesh jacket, but it is doing me no good without any air to go through it.
    Keep on mind to own a Spyder you have to be willing to spend allot more cash to make it rideable and enjoyable if you do not believe me just look at how many aftermarket vendors have popped up because of the shortcomings of the design of this machine. Most of the farkels are for rider comfort and rid ability. Now why one would have spend another couple of grand on a machine they paid over $20K for is beyond me but at least some folks are making some extra cash thanks to BRP and folks who just want to ride a machine in relative comfort.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's starting to get a bit old...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bob, why don't you just stick to the 2014 sites of praise if you don't like what is being said? I don't think one should have to pay to re-engineer a $20-30,000 machine. I mean, ferdryinoutloud, BRP still can't align the front wheels. That is not according to me, but nearly every after market provider. Can we complain about that or is that "getting old" too?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm glad that you brought that up!
    Since Ramjet sold his Spyder; he's been digging his spurs in at every opportunity...
    He's not actively trying to help anybody solve a problem with their bike; he just just rails away at the Spyders, their owners, and BRP.
    I'm just getting tired of hearing it in a place that should be beneficial for Spyder riders.

Oh! And if this isn't the right place to be happy that I've got a Spyder; where would you suggest I go to find one?
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 06-22-2014 at 05:18 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you look at other bike forums , they have similar issues and farkles ! Oh, by the way look at GM , took 11 years for their recall .

Spyder Garage

I had a three bar plus terrible heat problem on mt 2013 rt-s, se5. Fan continually running. Course, I rode in south florida and sort of expected that for a machine designed in far north country. Than I look at the air deflectors just below the mirrors and could not understand using my aero background how deflecting that air would do anything but trap heat so I promptly removed both of them. Temp gauge backed down one complete bar with fan going on only occasionally now. I am reading here and studying other what sound like great fixes but for now I can at least ride comfortably.
    Has anyone else had any experience like this and does anyone see any problem with removing the air deflectors?
    Yesterday I went from Ft. Lauderdale to Ft. Myers about 300 mile round trip. on the way there the turbulence was controllable with the windscreen.
    On the way back I removed the air deflectors and I noticed a lot more turbulence. I was driving at 73 MPH both ways.
    I did get a lot more air though

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I'm glad that you brought that up!
    Since Ramjet sold his Spyder; he's been digging his spurs in at every opportunity...
    He's not actively trying to help anybody solve a problem with their bike; he just just rails away at the Spyder's, and BRP.
    I'm just getting tired of hearing it in a place that should be beneficial for Spyder riders.

Oh! And if this isn't the right place to be happy that I've got a Spyder; where would you suggest I go to find one?
    Bob does say what I was also thinking. No offense to our South Dakota friend. I also have no problem with those who have complaints or issues. My issue is with those that come on to "stick it in SL members faces" concerning issues they encounter. He sold the Spyder so why all the Narnie, Narnie, Narnies?

Methinks the guys agenda is showing. And for me it also gets old to hear and see the same digs put in at every opportunity. He is not trying to help anyone with their issues or problems, just wanting to run down the brand. For me that is the difference between discussing issues and being a (you fill in the blanks)

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

well i didn't read all the posts but if he no longer has the bike than the bashing should stop. i stopped talking about the heat since i got my 14 but i do feel if a person has a hot bike let them complain, one day someone will find a fix for the heat from reading the posts. the guy that bought my 13 loves it and never said a word about the heat on it, BUT THAN AGAIN HE IS A SKINNY

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    There's no problem at all with removing them; just make sure to put the mounting "bolts" back in place...
    Put bolts back yes, thanks Bob.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    Yesterday I went from Ft. Lauderdale to Ft. Myers about 300 mile round trip. on the way there the turbulence was controllable with the windscreen.
    On the way back I removed the air deflectors and I noticed a lot more turbulence. I was driving at 73 MPH both ways.
    I did get a lot more air though
    Since I have been riding here in Quebec where the temps are MUCH lower than s. fla I have noticed even more airflow and cooler running than before. As it gets even colder here later in the fall it will be interesting to see what happens. May even needto put the deflectors back on. I don't really notice the turbulence as such (course I took the deflectors off immediately so I really didn't get to experience the difference).
    I sure do have a problem checking oil accurately though. JT we need those cold dipsticks quick! Thanks dude. Also, am seriously considering sway bars if they wil help with roll. They seem very popular. Thanks to all the spyder lovers forum. I am DEFINITELY one.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Put bolts back yes, thanks Bob.
    I don't know if they actually NEED to be there to hold things in place...
    But they'll be easier to find, when you need them again!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I am not sure if removing the side air deflectors on the Rt is a good Idea. Under the air deflector is a air vent, when moving, the air deflector creates a low air pressure witch pulls hot air from under the tupper wear. When cruising down the highway put your hand up there and feel all the hot air coming out. Again this is my observation and I do not know the engineering data behind it. I do know that BRP did not add them for the hell of it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

At the risk of taking this back to the original question . . . a good friend installed a GW1800 vent in his BRP windshield . . . he used masking tape to establish a centerline and horizontal line, used a drill to make a series of holes in the windshield slightly smaller than the profile of the vent, and then filed it to fit the vent and smooth it. Works great, he says . . . and he rides in Arizona, where it gets really hot! Total cost was under $100 . . .
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I'm melting

I bought a 13limited and had the same no air, I bought air wings and now I get a lot of air but another thing is take out the cat and put in y pipe from pitbull that will cool your feet plus wake up the engine big time.good riding my friend.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

when I had my 2012 RTS I added the Baker Wings

on my nice new 2014 I added the adjustable side air flaps and get lots of air (as long as I am moving...) and didn't find a need to put Baker Wings on it... I also have a vented windshield which also helps

there is nothing worse than sitting still in Florida and melting....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...Other than sitting in a frozen snowbank in January; and freezing!