Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Well I finally found a solution to all my Spyder Issues

Yup I took it in the shorts but finally rid myself of this machine. The Spyder is an interesting concept with some really nice features but the head aches and poor customer support from BRP has assured I will NEVER own another BRP product.

Good luck to all you Spyder Lovers and enjoy the ride.

Total loss $14k let this be a message to any potential buyer steer clear of this brand and product and this company.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry you had a bad experience. Good luck with the rest of your life.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs down Sad news

That's a shame and such a huge loss. Pity BRP couldn't sort it for you.
    All the best for the future.

Spyder Garage

Default Our personal experiences drive our opinions -

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet View Post
    Yup I took it in the shorts but finally rid myself of this machine. The Spyder is an interesting concept with some really nice features but the head aches and poor customer support from BRP has assured I will NEVER own another BRP product.

Total loss $14k let this be a message to any potential buyer steer clear of this brand and product and this company.
    AS THEY SHOULD. It is too bad some of us have had such bad experiences. I have only owned a Spyder for two years. And these were two different units, a 2012 RT Ltd and a 2014 RT Ltd. I really have had zero problems in the two years. My 2014 is the epitome of satisfaction. After recently riding a BMW R1200 RT, I know I will never go back on two wheels. I said many years ago that I thought I would ride as long as I could get my leg across the seat. At age 78, it looks like this will be correct.

Bottom line - you had a really bad experience. I wish yours could have been like mine.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Not my experience AT ALL

Loved my 2010 RT SE5 for 70k wonderful miles....reallllly loving my 2014 RTS SE6 and 622 trailer (almost 6k). I have had wonderful experience with my favorite dealer Pitbull Powersports and Clem's Enumclaw service dept. & with BRP to help get any issue resolved to my satisfaction. Sure wouldn't want to be you..with that solution for your issues.
    Spyders and BRP are GREAT...are they perfect...nope (but first you have to define perfect!!) and then I'm not perfect either (pretty close but still working on the final product!!! ). OK gotta get some zzzzz's another day of ryding my magnificent Studly along with Ros & Steve on their '14's as we work our way to Durango...yep that BRP Owner's Event thingy!!!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Seriously dude, I bought a 2009 GS in July 2012 with 4000 miles, now have over 20,000 on it, no mechanical issues whatsoever,
    my only complaint is I have to work sometime, can't ride all the time.
    Negative mind brings out the worst, oh well enough said, just gotta stay positive and stay away from negative vibes.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Sorry..!!

Sad that it all ended this way. Don't know how you lost that much but no matter now. Your experience is non typical and don't see it as a warning to others but good for all to know not everything in life is perfect. Hope your future endevours go better and you get what your looking for...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MidTNDawg View Post
    AS THEY SHOULD. It is too bad some of us have had such bad experiences. I have only owned a Spyder for two years. And these were two different units, a 2012 RT Ltd and a 2014 RT Ltd. I really have had zero problems in the two years. My 2014 is the epitome of satisfaction. After recently riding a BMW R1200 RT, I know I will never go back on two wheels. I said many years ago that I thought I would ride as long as I could get my leg across the seat. At age 78, it looks like this will be correct.

Bottom line - you had a really bad experience. I wish yours could have been like mine.
    Exactly my experience with the exact models. No problems. " I have only owned a Spyder for two years. And these were two different units, a 2012 RT Ltd and a 2014 RT Ltd. I really have had zero problems in the two years. My 2014 is the epitome of satisfaction."

I am sorry you had the bad experience and took such a big hit in the pocketbook! Wish the issues you had could have been resolved to your satisfaction by BRP!
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default one fine day

yeah well- I am not too happy with mine either. for 30k I got , heat, bbq'ed FOOT , stinking gas smell (when weather is hot), AND
    squealing brakes. and to this day all I get from dealer and BRP IS '' it's NORMAl'' - my ass it is!
    got my reservation for that ELIO though....then I'll thub my nose at BRP and the gas stations!

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 RT

After reading this post. It appears he judged the success of his heat mods prematurely. Then, summer arrived.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...mplete-success

Why some 2013's make more heat than others may remain a mystery but, that doesn't mean the problem is not real to those who are left to deal with it.

Sorry you had such a bad experience. Even though it appears you took an honest swing at fixing the issue.

I'm shocked....but not surprised, by some of the commenter's comments.

Good luck with your next ride

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I also thought that the O.P. had a handle on the bike's issues...
    I hate to see it end up like this:

"Total loss $14k let this be a message to any potential buyer steer clear of this brand and product and this company."

Good luck with your next bike!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear you lost so much money to bail on your Spyder and I can understand how you
    feel as I too have lost a great deal of money on poor machines in the past. That being said
    I had a 2010 RTS that was nothing but trouble from the start to finish and didn't trust it
    to ride across town but got lucky and got all my money back (on this one) minus my trade in and also
    said I do not think I will buy another Spyder but waited and watched for 4 years and read
    all the reviews and finally took a test ride and did my homework and took the plunge and
    got the 2014 RTS and WOW what a big difference in bikes! So you never know down the road
    what will happen but any way I wish you luck and hopefully you will find a bike that suits your
    needs and likes. Good luck.
    Toby
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

Be assured folks the mods fixed the issues. They absolutely fixed the that problem.

But being man of principle and only going to three wheels because I wanted too not "had" too I sat back and looked at the overall experience with BRP and decided I will not do business with a Company that handles it's customer the way they handled me and MANY others.

I completely expected the responses I got here after all the name of the site is not Spyder Haters......

The impact of poor design and really poor customer service not too mention the safety issues with these machines is far beyond what you will ever see put out on this site.

How ow do you loose 14k well simple look at the out the door prices of Spyders right now consider the 4k of mods then the sale price of the machine seeing I had to do full disclosure and wella lost my rear end. choose too and will not look back as there is too much open road to be enjoyed on another machine.

Most of you seem like nice folks that need a Spyder and I wish you the best of luck and it is personal choice to support a company by spending money with them. But do not be so naive to think that BRP is nothing more than a profit center as most businesses should be but worse is they have not been put to the test as of yet but they will be mark my words there is more to these failures than you see here.

But let me be clear the mods worked 40% reduction in heat heat measured with thermocouples and a infared heat gun.

I am motorcycle guy not "Roadster" guy.

Just be be safe and enjoy the wind in your face.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I dunno that many people 'need' a spyder, I've seen folks with a variety of physical challenges modify bikes to their needs. I still ride in woods races so I don't 'need' a spyder.

I love the spyder. It's a ball of fun, it's pure rock and roll in the corners, I get my weight far over and in and push to see how fast I can do that corner.

If it weren't for the 'deal' from a friend I'd have gotten a sport version instead of the RT, but it's fun slinging the big girl around.

With the only suspension mod being a ronbar, I find the very stable in all conditions, having already been in significant rain, gravel roads, and even some mud.

Everyone has different tastes though, and I'm really sorry that you spent that much in suspension upgrades and other mods and still didn't like the ride.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hate it that you had so many problems. I do "need" the spyder. It feeds my addiction to fun! As far as to physically need it to be able to ride that is the farthest from the truth. I'm a healthy active 55 year old and could ride anything of my choosing, and I choose the Spyder RT. I have owned my 2011 RT for 3 years (last pymt this month) and 18,000 happy miles. NO PROBLEMS. Not to say you didn't have problems but I don't think it's fair to say that what you experienced will be the typical experience. Good luck and maybe you can find happiness in another ryde.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I assume he is talking a 2013?

Buying the first year of a major redesign is always risky. Consumer Reports won't even give a reliability rating to a new model or and existing model that has been substantially redesigned. They often advise against buying such models until a vehicle history is established. What bothered me (of course this is all hindsight, based upon posts in this Forum) is who thought it was a good idea to redirect the heat from the passenger to the engine? To be honest, BRP had a knee jerk reaction to the problem and made the simplest design change which may have turned out to be the worst thing they did.

Anyone who rides a motorcycle is usually going to feel some extra heat on a hot day on the side where the exhaust runs from the engine to the back of the bike. Sorry, my 2012 is just fine and definitely no worse (and often better) then some motorcycles. Some Harley owners can attest to much worse engine heat of some models.

But we moaned and groaned and BRP made the change and they made the situation worse.

Then comes 2014 - and I am reading all the reports and for the most part they are great.

Live and learn. A 14K hit is nothing to sneeze about. Best wishes in the future!

I completely expected the responses I got here after all the name of the site is not Spyder Haters.....
    I belong to FORUMS for several different things, i.e. boat, 2 different models of cars, etc. and you do find some boosters but this FORUM has given me excellent service and/or advice when I needed it. People do help each other on here and most have a great deal more experience with different subjects then I do.

Yes, some of my posts eventually got deleted, but that happens on every FORUM. Maybe I am more thick-skinned then others, but at the end of the day, I will come back because of all the great advice, ideas, etc. that get shared on these pages.
    Last edited by Knarfoh; 06-20-2014 at 09:25 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsrider View Post
    I dunno that many people 'need' a spyder, I've seen folks with a variety of physical challenges modify bikes to their needs. I still ride in woods races so I don't 'need' a spyder.

I love the spyder. It's a ball of fun, it's pure rock and roll in the corners, I get my weight far over and in and push to see how fast I can do that corner.

If it weren't for the 'deal' from a friend I'd have gotten a sport version instead of the RT, but it's fun slinging the big girl around.

With the only suspension mod being a ronbar, I find the very stable in all conditions, having already been in significant rain, gravel roads, and even some mud.

Everyone has different tastes though, and I'm really sorry that you spent that much in suspension upgrades and other mods and still didn't like the ride.

The ride and handling are fine the Elka fixed any issue but the idea that for the machine to handle as it should you need to do sway bars and shocks is my issue.

Again I want to be clear here my decision is based on how I feel BRP Customer Service is or maybe is NOT.

Sure any machine can have issues I design very sophisticated equipment systems and design systems for off road heavy equipment so I certainly know how things can go... That said I pride myself on being responsive , empathetic and find solutions to customer issues and do so in timely and well thought out manner.

I NEVER felt that BRP gave rats rear end about me as customer or the issues I had.

The 14k? Well it's only money and I will recover, seeing I paid cash for the machine and will spend nothing on my new ride that's not the real issue. LACK of caring for the Customer is a BRP Corporate philosophical issue plain and simple and I am choosing not to do business with them.

I was not trying to demean to put down anyone for owning or riding a Spyder so,please do not take it that way sorry if you did. I have sports cars for that feeling I like the bike to lean and hug the corners but that's me. I think BRP is an ATV and Snowmobile Company they should probably stick to that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default spyder trouble

sorry you had trouble you do not need to keep running them down things happen to all makes and models also I guess you needed a spyder or you would have not bought one in the first place we buy and ride what we want and can afford how come you put 4000.00 in extras if you did not like it you must have liked it and one time gas smell comes from over filling tank when the pump shuts off do not put gas all the way to top if your led was bqed then you should have sued them for selling something that is a hazed and unsafe to people everything has its fault even rolls royces have a good one hope you find the perfect ride

Spyder Garage

I'm a bit confused (I don't know the history here). Did you purchase your Spider new? If so, and you have had issues that the dealer/manufacturer couldn't resolve, did you pursue the Lemon Law? Once you have proof of repeated failure to resolve a particular (doesn't need to be several) issue, it is very easy to get resolution. It doesn't require an attorney either.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The gas smell does N O T come from overfilling the tank. That is a myth that has been around for far too long. The smell comes from a poorly designed evap system and too much heat getting to the gas tank. I would go into more detail but I am on my phone and it takes too long to type on it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Be assured folks the mods fixed the issues. They absolutely fixed the that problem.

But being man of principle and only going to three wheels because I wanted too not "had" too I sat back and looked at the overall experience with BRP and decided I will not do business with a Company that handles it's customer the way they handled me and MANY others.

I completely expected the responses I got here after all the name of the site is not Spyder Haters......

The impact of poor design and really poor customer service not too mention the safety issues with these machines is far beyond what you will ever see put out on this site.

How ow do you loose 14k well simple look at the out the door prices of Spyders right now consider the 4k of mods then the sale price of the machine seeing I had to do full disclosure and wella lost my rear end. choose too and will not look back as there is too much open road to be enjoyed on another machine.

Most of you seem like nice folks that need a Spyder and I wish you the best of luck and it is personal choice to support a company by spending money with them. But do not be so naive to think that BRP is nothing more than a profit center as most businesses should be but worse is they have not been put to the test as of yet but they will be mark my words there is more to these failures than you see here.

But let me be clear the mods worked 40% reduction in heat heat measured with thermocouples and a infared heat gun.

I am motorcycle guy not "Roadster" guy.

Just be be safe and enjoy the wind in your face.
    Well, fortunately for me my experience after having a Spyder for three years is just the opposite of yours. The relatively minor problems I had early on were easily fixed by my dealer and BRP has always done right for me. Every time I think about going back to two wheels I get on my RT and those thoughts go away.

And my dealer is stellar!

Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Bye Ramjet

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I feel your pain

Thanks for the post and best of luck to you, sorry you where treated so poorly by customer service, they really need to work on that and the engineering in my opinion, I love my bike but think some of there engineers need to go back to school LOL.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Bye Ramjet

Cruzr Joe
    and my feelings exactly. I feel that posts lose a bit of credibility when they turn into a rant against the product.

Based on all the bad things with the , your decision to cut your losses, get safer, and be happy in your life, are all good ones.

Most of us like our 's and have not experienced the issues that have been mentioned.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My conversations with dealers, and representatives of "The Mother Ship"; have been nothing but professional, courteous and very helpful...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black