Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Ask the BRP/Spyder Engineers Questions

I've been working with the guys at BRP about getting more involved with the members here on SpyderLovers. As you have seen with the chat sessions on SpyderTalk that may or may not be a good thing for BRP as we may not like their answers.

BRP has classified SpyderLovers as a more "technical savvy" group and felt that instead of a chat session we could ask the BRP Spyder engineers questions here on the board and they will look through all of them and pick out 5 questions to answer.

The first answers should come around the end of April so go ahead and start asking your questions now on this post and I'll send them the link to look at. We hope to do this by-monthly in the future.

This could be a very valuable tool to learn more about the Spyder and it's inner workings. Please be polite and professional in your questions. Thanks

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Here is the reasoning for upgrade the factory shocks: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=9158
    Is this considered damage or "normal wear and tear" @ 24,000 miles?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What exactly is the timeline for resolving the SE5 transmission-related issues that bulletin 2009-1 does not resolve? How can Spyder owners help expedite the identification, implementation and communication of a solution?
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Would you please develop and market an optional gear & drive belt set for owners who prefer more casual freeway cruising, lower RPM and better fuel mileage instead of maximum accelleration.
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GaryTheBadger View Post
    What exactly is the timeline for resolving the SE5 transmission-related issues that bulletin 2009-1 does not resolve? How can Spyder owners help expedite the identification, implementation and communication of a solution?
    BUT ADD THE 08 TO THE MIX..A LOT ARE STILL HAVING SHIFTING ISSUES, MINE INCLUDED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Would you please develop and market an optional gear & drive belt set for owners who prefer more casual freeway cruising, lower RPM and better fuel mileage instead of maximum accelleration.
    +1
    and...
    1)The airbox and stock filter don't match up and has a poor seal. Dust, dirt and sand get by and into the engine. I suggest the Kens Race filter for the stock filter unless you want to warranty engines with early failure!

2)Stock mirrors don't lock down and flop back and forth...they also give a great view of my knuckles, arms and sholders.

3)Are the squeaky brakes covered by warranty or not?

4)Why does my SM5 spend so much time in Limp Mode...there's obviously a problem here, but you have yet to change the electronics to solve this problem.
    Last edited by AMTJIM; 03-19-2009 at 07:34 PM.
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I would like to know if modifications void the warranty, and if so, which specific ones.

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

Question: In the original service manual, the gear position sensor was noted on page 191 as one of the six direct inputs into the DPS unit.

In later 2008 versions of the service manual, the gear position sensor is not listed... but the other five remain.

What really changed, if anything, and why did it change?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Good question... every time I ride I get at least one gear stuck. Had the BUDS update and oil pressure spring changed. As soon as my trailer is built, am going to park it at the dealer until something is done to fix it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Please modify the software so that the ambient temperature is included in the display list when cycling through the information when using the button behind the left handgrip. Currently you must take your hand off the handlebar to push the instrument panel button to see the temperature.
    are you joking

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Please modify the software so that the ambient temperature is included in the display list when cycling through the information when using the button behind the left handgrip. Currently you must take your hand off the handlebar to push the instrument panel button to see the temperature.
    The air temperature is a constant display and does not need to be toggled.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

1. Is the cooling fan switched by the ECU or a hard switch? If ECU, have you contemplated a reprogram to switch the fan in sooner? If a hard switch, how about a revision?

2. Why is the ambient air temperature and pressure sensor so slow to respond, and why does it always read so high. This makes the Spyder run very lean (most of the time).
    -Scotty
    Last edited by NancysToy; 03-19-2009 at 10:17 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HDXBONES View Post
    What octane fuel should I use and why? LOL

Seriously, please tell us more about the engine control systems. Does the Spyder ECU incorporate a knock control system? At what RPM ranges does the fuel system operate in a closed loop mode? What is the target AFR that the system attempts to correct to? Are changes applied as offsets to fixed tables, or are changes made to base maps? Does the ECU apply adaptive learning to the fuel tables in open loop areas of the fuel maps? Can the system compensate for major changes to the intake or exhaust system? Why is the idle speed set so high? Any plans for engine performance parts- cams, pistons, heads? Any plans for end user programming software for the ECU so that we can adjust engine operating parameters?
    dangit man! if they answer all your questions, they will never get to our cheesy ones!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    1. Is the cooling fan switched by the ECU or a hard switch? If ECU, have you contemplated a reprogram to switch the fan in sooner? If a hard switch, how about a revision?

2. Why is the ambient air temperature and pressure sensor so slow to respond, and why does it always read so high. This makes the Spyder run very lean (most of the time).
    -Scotty
    Scotty have you checked to see if the sensor was properly routed when the bike was PDI at the dealer,Lamonster had a post with pics that showed it was still tied to frame from the factory in a few cases.Tech did not follow the book when doing the PDI.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Just Doo Me View Post
    Scotty have you checked to see if the sensor was properly routed when the bike was PDI at the dealer,Lamonster had a post with pics that showed it was still tied to frame from the factory in a few cases.Tech did not follow the book when doing the PDI.
    Yep, it's in the right place. Can't tell if the insulating washer is there, but it vaguely appears that it is. Could be a bad sensor, but most Spyder riders I have talked to say theirs are also very slow to respond. If you leave the Spyder in the sun, it takes a good half hour or more of freeway riding for the temp to get near ambient. Same going from a cold garage into the warmth. Has to affect the fuel mixture.
    -Scotty

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Will there ever be a fix for the troublesome SE transmissions that continually stick in gear? My dealer has done the program update, changed a spring and an electronic module, and it worked for about 700 miles. Now it is back to sticking in gear again. Makes for a dangerous situation especially in traffic.

Spyder Garage

Default Corosion Issues

I've had the paint on all four foot peg brackets and the rear sprocket lift and peel due to corosion. I'm curious how many others have had this issue and if BRP will be able to find a solution to prevent it from happening. I'm about to get these items replaced for the second time in 35000 km's.
    Mark

Mark "Spyderman" Adams
    ------------------------------

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Hand Brake

Many riders have a serious need for a hand brake! Those who are injured, handicapped, and older need a hand brake to safely ride the Spyder. Additionally, how is one to push the Spyder and stop it when necessary? I think that not only will a hand brake make the Spyder safer, it will also sell a lot more Spyders. Remember, BRP, the age-old economic principle: Make an effort to include the greatest number of buyers--inclusive not exclusive! This is how the greatest numbers are served and how fortunes are made.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post

-Scotty
    Does it continually read and adjust for air pressure or just at initial "ignition on"? For some reason I am thinking my 800 rotax atv only reads pressure at startup.

Spyder Garage

Default SE-5

Quote Originally Posted by opticat View Post
    Will there ever be a fix for the troublesome SE transmissions that continually stick in gear? My dealer has done the program update, changed a spring and an electronic module, and it worked for about 700 miles. Now it is back to sticking in gear again. Makes for a dangerous situation especially in traffic.
    Went on 130 mile ride the other day, mine stuck in 3rd, 5th, and reverse, This happened 7 times.This gets real annoying when the other riders have to stop and wait for you to pull over shut your bike down and wait two minutes for everything to reset. The next day I rode 110 miles (I was by myself) and of course I had no problems at all.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bnlrobinson View Post
    Went on 130 mile ride the other day, mine stuck in 3rd, 5th, and reverse, This happened 7 times.This gets real annoying when the other riders have to stop and wait for you to pull over shut your bike down and wait two minutes for everything to reset. The next day I rode 110 miles (I was by myself) and of course I had no problems at all.
    Maybe your SE5 is a loner or it has performance anxiety...

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    Maybe your SE5 is a loner or it has performance anxiety...
    Gee, Brian, with answers like that you could get a job in BRP Marketing.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

use it as a World-Wide-touring-Wonder.. my biggest problem when single-driven
    had to go uphill a forest road -would not be a problem with any car..
    the engine swithed off when the backwheel began to spin -
    tried it several times -
    only situation when the spyder left me alone in 6000 mls !!
    had to go up "backwards" after several restarts..

chris

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

+1, I think that would be a popular accessory. I change the sprockets on every chain drive bike I've owned for optimum cruising.

I'm also interested in hearing an engineers input on some of the steering issues that are occurring. Most directly mine has begun to occasionally lock in a specific position. I'm curious as to whether they have identified anything that may cause this.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Service book

All the bikes and cars I have owned had a service book where a stamp would be inserted by the Dealer when the bike/car was serviced.

The service record of any bike/car is important and a up-to-date service record adds to the value when the bike is sold.

Is there a reason why the Spyder is not issued with a service book.