Thread: GS Air filter

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default GS Air filter

Had the lid of the airbox the other day and noticed the filter and box had light oil on them,is this normal for a standard filter or should it be dry?

Spyder Garage

The oil in the air box is coming from the crankcase vent line. If you can do a search for Lamonts catch can, or Baja Ron's in line filter, this is a way to stop the oil from reaching the air box. I've been using the catch can for the last five yrs. on my '08 GS, and it been working for me.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Arm View Post
    The oil in the air box is coming from the crankcase vent line. If you can do a search for Lamonts catch can, or Baja Ron's in line filter, this is a way to stop the oil from reaching the air box. I've been using the catch can for the last five yrs. on my '08 GS, and it been working for me.
    Ok will do thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If your paper filter had oil on it you might want to swap it out. Oil on paper doesn't flow so well....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Or get JT's air intake kit like I did. Saves a bunch of room under the plastics and gets rid of the oil issue

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If I was to replace the paper filter with a K&N would I need a fuel controller? I have a Hindle exhaust which I believe is ok to run without a controller fitted???

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
    If I was to replace the paper filter with a K&N would I need a fuel controller? I have a Hindle exhaust which I believe is ok to run without a controller fitted???

In North America, replacement paper filters for the GS are available at any local auto parts store. Depending on how close you are to your BRP dealer this may be easier source.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    In North America, replacement paper filters for the GS are available at any local auto parts store. Depending on how close you are to your BRP dealer this may be easier source.
    Am from Scotland mate BRP who are they???

Spyder Garage

Am from Scotland mate BRP who are they???

BRP (Bombardier Recreational Products), is the maker of your Spyder.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

You will not need to run a fuel management system if you just change out the air filter with a K&N or similar. If you change out both the air filter (to a higher flowing version) and the exhaust (also to a higher flow model), then chances increase for needing a fuel management system.

But you need to get rid of that oil coated paper air filter right away. It is not good and will set up a vicious cycle. Oil on a paper filter will greatly restrict air flow increasing the negative pressure inside the air box which will suck more oil from the crank case vent which will put more oil on your air filter, etc.

Not sure what a K&N would cost over there. I carry them for $38 + shipping which would be $11.50.

One added advantage to a K&N type filter is, if you do get some oil on it, it doesn't hurt it at all. I would still take measures to stop the oil getting into your air box though.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yes I know mate I was being sarcastic they are nowhere to be seen in Scotland is what I meant

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    You will not need to run a fuel management system if you just change out the air filter with a K&N or similar. If you change out both the air filter (to a higher flowing version) and the exhaust (also to a higher flow model), then chances increase for needing a fuel management system.

But you need to get rid of that oil coated paper air filter right away. It is not good and will set up a vicious cycle. Oil on a paper filter will greatly restrict air flow increasing the negative pressure inside the air box which will suck more oil from the crank case vent which will put more oil on your air filter, etc.

Not sure what a K&N would cost over there. I carry them for $38 + shipping which would be $11.50.

One added advantage to a K&N type filter is, if you do get some oil on it, it doesn't hurt it at all. I would still take measures to stop the oil getting into your air box though.
    Thanks Baja appreciate your help so am I ok to put a K&N on with my Hindle exhaust with no controller?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Depends..!

some air filters are pre oiled like the K&N's. Oil will collect in the airbox over time from the crankcase. The standard paper ones do need changing from time to time. I ran a K&N filter in the stock box with a Hindle exhuast for a year with no problems. Recently replaced the stock box with JT's air filter kit and running a bit better and no problems.
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yeh I did wonder as the filters I used for my Raptor had to be oiled,are the K & Ns oiled when you buy them or would I have to buy filter oil and oil it before fitting?

Spyder Garage

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Yeh I did wonder as the filters I used for my Raptor had to be oiled,are the K & Ns oiled when you buy them or would I have to buy filter oil and oil it before fitting?

I think K&N air filters come pre oiled, but don't know "specifically" the Spyder filter.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Arm View Post

Thanks

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    I think K&N air filters come pre oiled, but don't know "specifically" the Spyder filter.
    Ok thanks Snoopy

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Same as the car filters....The stock Spyder paper filter will get trashed pretty quick with oil. The k&n it won't matter if it sees a bit of oil spray from time to time.
    While its best to try to control the oil level to keep it out of the box, its not always possible and very difficult to monitor. This was another reason I ended up doing a k&n......

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Thanks Baja appreciate your help so am I ok to put a K&N on with my Hindle exhaust with no controller?

It is a definite maybe. It seems to vary from Spyder to Spyder. The fuel system does have some ability to adjust. You'll have to try it to know for sure.

Here is a link to my crank case vent system. It isn't a true catch can as you never have to empty it or service it. You put it in-line and pretty much forget it. I like it for cost, simplicity, lack of maintenance and it puts clean oil back where it belongs, in the crank case.

Oh! And it keeps oil out of your air cleaner too!

Bajaron's oil catch can
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Smile

All K&N filters are preoiled. You don't have to recharge them.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default GS Air filter

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    It is a definite maybe. It seems to vary from Spyder to Spyder. The fuel system does have some ability to adjust. You'll have to try it to know for sure.

Here is a link to my crank case vent system. It isn't a true catch can as you never have to empty it or service it. You put it in-line and pretty much forget it. I like it for cost, simplicity, lack of maintenance and it puts clean oil back where it belongs, in the crank case.

Oh! And it keeps oil out of your air cleaner too!

Bajaron's oil catch can
    Ha ha that would be handy think I will stick with the stock filter for just now sent you a pm Ron

Last edited by MrBlonde; 04-12-2014 at 01:59 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Ok decided to have my first sesh in the garage with the Spyder and stripped out the air box.Wasnt too much oil in there and the filter was fine so just a clean up and re fit.Checked the missing plug while I was in there :L looked fine but will be upgrading plugs and cables when I service it after the summers past.Thanks again to BajaRon for his input also to the lad that made the videos in the DIY section made the job so much easier and enjoyable