Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Sena headsets with can am dongle hissing/distortion problem

Just had the can am sena system installed by dealer. Getting very annoying hissing and distortion.
    Last night did a complete factory reset, and fully charged all units.
    Re-paired everything, and still the hissing and distortion.

Is anyone else experiencing the same thing?
    Any ideas on a fix?
    Will be calling dealer again tomorrow.

Spyder Garage

Default ME TOO!!!!

Mine started after I performed the update. I did the factory reset and installed the update again. It's not as bad now.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ValCruzSpyder View Post
    Mine started after I performed the update. I did the factory reset and installed the update again. It's not as bad now.
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    Are you referring to the "firmware upgrade" mentioned in the manual?
    Does "not as bad now" mean you still have the hissing?

For the price, I expected a lot more. I'd rather listen to the external speakers, and turn my head around and yell to my wife, than hear this irritating hiss.

Spyder Garage

The problem is not in the Sena module. Its in the factory radio output the module is connected to and the poorly designed harness BRP supplies to install it.

I moved the module to the trunk and use the rear speaker (high level) sound signal through a drop down transformer to feed the Sena SM10 module. Hiss and engine noise is gone. One other person took a more scientific approach with ground straps and iron cores around cables and reported good results.

If the dealer installed it and you paid for both the BRP kit and installation, have them fix it or remove it. Its not working correctly.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Hissing Headset

Quote Originally Posted by FlaBound View Post
    Just had the can am sena system installed by dealer. Getting very annoying hissing and distortion.

Any ideas on a fix?
    Mine did that when I was using the intercom feature but after I did the 5.0 update it is as clear as a bell.

Bob

Spyder Garage

Any ideas on a fix?
    Ours works great. No hissing or distortion and had it about a year. All updates are working and have updated it as recent as a few weeks ago. Must be something in the wiring???

Also, removed the SENA Dongle and wiring from my 2012 and used it again on my 2014 RT L....no problems at all.

There is a customer service number to call SENA for help: 866-300-1235 ...had to wait awhile, but Tech was excellent...used that number last year when I first got the system. Did the self install on both my bikes.

Hope you get this problem resolved!
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 04-03-2014 at 10:21 PM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I did the firmware update. In the process the headset turned off, and will not turn back on.
    I have removed the dongle, and the headsets off my helmets, and boxed them up.

I'm returning them.

Too complicated, poorly engineered, and expensive.
    I'll find another alternative. May not be able to hear ipod and radio,
    but I have four external speakers that sound good enough to keep the Mrs dancing in back

Spyder Garage

Your giving up too soon! These are awesome headsets. Way better than my J+M's I had on my wing. Give SENA a call direct. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have said this a few times now... Not trying to say I am an expert either. I have made Sena SM10 cables now for many people with the idea of mounting it in the trunk! No one I have made cables for has reported issues

The design of mounting the SM10 in the frunk is a mistake. Your running a cable over all the noisy engine stuff!
    Also when you need to rebind or do anything with the SM10, having it in the frunk is a PITA!

If you can, move it to the trunk. I bet all those hissing issues will be gone.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default SENA Helpline

I posted an earlier comment and added the following:

There is a customer service number to call SENA for help: 866-300-1235 ...had to wait awhile, but Tech was excellent...used that number last year when I first got the system. Did the self install on both my bikes (2012 RT L and then transferred the system to my new 2014 RT L). Worked well on both bikes.

Hope you get this problem resolved!

BTW...I have my dongle in the trunk mounted -- much easier to wire!
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Hissing

Thank you all for the advice and valuable information.
    I'm still a working stiff, with a very busy life. My time is the most valuable commodity, and I have very little patience for this.

At this point, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. But I have forwarded some of your advice to my dealer. Their mechanic is top notch, and I suspect he's just following Can Am protocol. Otherwise all other work they have done on my bike, and my friends bikes has been exemplary.

I'll see where it goes from here.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Can you use the Scala cardio system with the BRP Bluetooth dongle

Spyder Garage

Default Sean

Any ideas on a fix?
    maybe I am missing something ... I almost pulled the trigger on the Sena but from what I can see it is basically a system to allow you to hear your RTs audio through the headsets, along with bluetoothing your cell. I wish it had intercom capabilities.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderMonkei View Post
    maybe I am missing something ... I almost pulled the trigger on the Sena but from what I can see it is basically a system to allow you to hear your RTs audio through the headsets, along with bluetoothing your cell. I wish it had intercom capabilities.
    The intercom works great on the SENA SMH10's. That a great feature of the headsets along with Bluetooth for radio, ipod, cell, etc.

BTW...even though you can hook up four to the intercom, it's just been me and my wife that we connect the intercom with....
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Success !

I followed some your sage advise.
    Did a complete firm-ware update and factory reset. ( this time with Google Chrome, no success w/Internet Explorer)
    All is well.
    Called sena support, and was told there is a brand new firmware update.

Now, I can listen to the ipod, radio, and GPS. Can make and receive calls through GPS bluetooth, intercom with my wife ( and another couple if desired).

So far so good.
    Thanks for the help.

( I sure was p*ssed last night. These things aren't cheap, and the sound was worse than stereo I bought when I was 9 years old)
    Last edited by FlaBound; 04-04-2014 at 06:49 PM.

Spyder Garage

Did a complete firm-ware update and factory reset. ( this time with Google Chrome, no success w/Internet Explorer)
    All is well.

Now, I can listen to the ipod, radio, and GPS. Can make and receive calls through GPS bluetooth, intercom with my wife ( and another couple if desired).

So far so good.
    Thanks for the help.

( I sure was p*ssed last night. These things aren't cheap, and the sound was worse than stereo I bought when I was 9 years old)

Glad you got it all straightened out. SENA is an awesome set up. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Default Congrats!

All is well.

So far so good.
    Thanks for the help.

Congrats on the successful outcome!
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac