Spyder Garage

Default Check DPS/Limp Home Mode

Need some help experts...wife was on the spyder the other day when she called and said the screen was a unhappy shade of orange, check dps and limp home. She pulled over, pulled the key and walked away. Fired up about 5 min later, all clear. Ran about 3 more miles and it triggered again. This time she pulled into the local Target parking lot and ran in for some groceries. Upon her return, all faults clear and she rode home.
    Being paranoid, I dove in the next day, pulled panels, made sure battery connections tight, fuses and relays in place, etc. Didn't find anything unusual, gave the battery terminals not even a 1/4 turn, probably even less. Put everything back together, fired it up, and gave it a good thrash session.....NOTHING! The next day, figured I'd try again to make it trigger, jumped on for about 100 miles...NOTHING! Figuring everything ok, chalked it up to abnormality. Spyder then sat for 2-3 days. Fired it up on Monday to go to work(only 4 miles) and 2 miles in, she lit up the dash for me this time. Did the dance on the buttons to try to get the code, and it wouldn't pull up. Made it to work, tried again, nothing. Did my shift, fired up to ride home...ALL CLEAR. Starting to get frustrated....
    I'm thinking battery(it is original) and everything I've read points to low voltage causing "ghost" faults. But then again, could possibly be DPS module ? Just looking for some more direction or if I might be missing something.

2011 Spyder RT A&C SE5

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

I'm thinking battery, too. I'd do some testing with a multimeter, or have my dealer do some testing, including a load test. The DPS is the single biggest amp draw on the Spyder, except the starter. The DPS could be bad, though. If you are exhibiting other signs of steering difficulty, like the DPS kicking out periodically, and the battery tests OK, have your dealer check the codes with BUDS. My DPS had to be replaced last year after Maggie Valley.

Spyder Garage

Default Odyssey PC680 battery for Spyder RT works well

Quote Originally Posted by Dib52 View Post
    Need some help experts...wife was on the spyder the other day when she called and said the screen was a unhappy shade of orange, check dps and limp home. She pulled over, pulled the key and walked away. Fired up about 5 min later, all clear. Ran about 3 more miles and it triggered again. This time she pulled into the local Target parking lot and ran in for some groceries. Upon her return, all faults clear and she rode home.
    Being paranoid, I dove in the next day, pulled panels, made sure battery connections tight, fuses and relays in place, etc. Didn't find anything unusual, gave the battery terminals not even a 1/4 turn, probably even less. Put everything back together, fired it up, and gave it a good thrash session.....NOTHING! The next day, figured I'd try again to make it trigger, jumped on for about 100 miles...NOTHING! Figuring everything ok, chalked it up to abnormality. Spyder then sat for 2-3 days. Fired it up on Monday to go to work(only 4 miles) and 2 miles in, she lit up the dash for me this time. Did the dance on the buttons to try to get the code, and it wouldn't pull up. Made it to work, tried again, nothing. Did my shift, fired up to ride home...ALL CLEAR. Starting to get frustrated....
    I'm thinking battery(it is original) and everything I've read points to low voltage causing "ghost" faults. But then again, could possibly be DPS module ? Just looking for some more direction or if I might be missing something.
    Odessey Battery works good for Spyder RT.
    Jim
    http://www.batterymart.com/p-odyssey-pc680-battery.html

Spyder Garage

Default No issues today

Rode to work in the am, home for lunch, back to work, and home for the day and had no issues. Guess I just have to keep ryding to keep a full charge in her.
    Pretty confident a new battery is in my future.

2011 Spyder RT A&C SE5

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default battery maintainer

Do you keep it on a battery maintainer every time you park it for the night?
    I always hook mine up to the maintainer even if I plan on riding it the next day.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chuck gross View Post
    Do you keep it on a battery maintainer every time you park it for the night?
    I always hook mine up to the maintainer even if I plan on riding it the next day.
    Have one, but don't really hook up this time of year, it's generally driven every day. Might have to go that route if it's getting weak.

2011 Spyder RT A&C SE5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Are the runs you are doing short runs every day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
    Are the runs you are doing short runs every day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Varied...if I take it to work, it's the short trip(about 3miles), if the wife takes it(about 11 miles) and 20 mins of run time. Interestingly enough, it first surfaced after one of the wife's trips. She rode in in the am, spyder sat in the lot for 9 hrs and then the fault occurred on the trip home, and she was 1/2 way home already.
    I get that most of my work runs aren't giving it a chance to charge back up, but certainly I thought the wife's rides are. Regardless, hooking the tender up after rides for the time being.

2011 Spyder RT A&C SE5

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

(Disclaimer) By posting my thoughts, I am in no way saying that you are riding the brake, but somewhere in the back of my mind I think I recall that riding the brake could cause this to happen. I could be wrong. Could this be happening in your situation? (a question)

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    (Disclaimer) By posting my thoughts, I am in no way saying that you are riding the brake, but somewhere in the back of my mind I think I recall that riding the brake could cause this to happen. I could be wrong. Could this be happening in your situation? (a question)

Chris
    I thought the same, even accused the wife when it first happened...she assured me she was no where near the brake. And when it happened to me, I was under throttle in a straight line.
    As a rookie 2 years ago, the brake riding thing was part of our learning curve. Been there, done that, got the faults...have been very conscious ever since.

2011 Spyder RT A&C SE5