Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default should I purchase a 2013 RS-SE5?

I can get what I think is a good deal on a new 2013 RS SE5. I always do some research before I buy anything.I have read horror stories on this forum about the 2013's and the lack of customer service from BRP. It sounds to me like the RS models are not getting the overheating issues that the other models are. The dealer ran the VIN and it needs 3 things done before I take delivery. The fuse box lid/sealing, a download for the ECM, and some different screws for the belt guard. The dealer is saying all the right things and is willing to hold the Spyder until April for me. Do I have anything to worry about? Hopefully this will be the first post of many........ thanks
    (oops, my second post, I made one in 2008 that I didn't remember)
    Last edited by beavis; 02-18-2014 at 12:10 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2012 RS that I bought a year ago brand new. It has been flawless and a blast to own and ride. It seems that the problems with the 2013's have been limited to RT's. Others can correct this if it is not true. This time of year is great to pick up a deal on a new Spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

(Again! )
    to your dealer for being up-front about what the bike needs.
    Go for it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    (Again! )
    Go for it!
    I would feel very comfortable with a 2013 RS SE5. I had an 09 and loved it for fun solo riding (things change). The first major mod you will want to make is to put on a set of RS DLX Seal Floorboards. A taller windshield would also be on my bucket list.

Ride in comfort,
    John
    SealCreativeConcepts.com

Spyder Garage

Default DEALER

Quote Originally Posted by beavis View Post
    I can get what I think is a good deal on a new 2013 RS SE5. I always do some research before I buy anything.I have read horror stories on this forum about the 2013's and the lack of customer service from BRP. It sounds to me like the RS models are not getting the overheating issues that the other models are. The dealer ran the VIN and it needs 3 things done before I take delivery. The fuse box lid/sealing, a download for the ECM, and some different screws for the belt guard. The dealer is saying all the right things and is willing to hold the Spyder until April for me. Do I have anything to worry about? Hopefully this will be the first post of many........ thanks
    (oops, my second post, I made one in 2008 that I didn't remember)
    Please tell us the name of your dealer >.........................

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    (Again! )
    Go for it!
    Oops, sorry Bob, I meant to reply to beavis, who initiated this thread.

goofed, but comfortable,
    John
    SealCreativeConcepts.com

Spyder Garage

You have reboarded the ship on a day after a big day of issues being posted about the product. I like the fact that the dealer was up front with the 2013 and actually knew about the issues that are current. That is a good sign. That said, there have not been a lot of complaints about the RS SE5 models. Why not see if you can do a test drive on the machine and see what you think. That is always the best way. Good luck on your purchase.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

If I were buying it I would do an Advanced Search (Upper Right) of the topic 2013 RS Heat Problems and read a lot- My 09 GS/RS is hotter than my RT especially if I,m sitting in traffic!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwall View Post
    It seems that the problems with the 2013's have been limited to RT's. Others can correct this if it is not true.
    FYI:
    The 2013 issues have been well documented on this forum in the ST line as well.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default No problems here!

I've owned my 13 RS since Jul and have put over 2000 trouble free miles on it. No heat problems or anything! The only thing I don't like is that there aren't that many after market options for it such as handle bar risers. Other than that, I love it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The RS doesn't seem to have as many issues as the other models.
    Your likely good to go.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Guesswho View Post
    I've owned my 13 RS since Jul and have put over 2000 trouble free miles on it. No heat problems or anything! The only thing I don't like is that there aren't that many after market options for it such as handle bar risers. Other than that, I love it!
    I have a 2012 rss with over 12,000 great trouble free miles with it. there are a lot of options for the rs. I have a hindle exhaust, ultimate seat, iso grips, rivco highway pegs, passenger footrest extenders, bar riser, smooth spyder belt tension system, custom graphics, and the list goes on!

Spyder Garage

I have a 2013rs sm though. I bought in June last year put over 3200 miles on it no issues.
    There is some good deals i wouldn't hesitate.

I agree with the accesories not much for 13 which sucks. GOOD LUCK

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2012 RS which I bought in April of 2013 because they were offering a good deal on it. Sound familiar

I was a little worried about reliability after reading this forum before buying so I opted for the BEST warranty. As part of the deal the bike was covered for 3 yrs and I put on 2 more for a total of 5. The first 4500 miles have been great and I don't have any reason to believe future miles won't be as well. I bike does have some odd things........like the start up procedure (with it in gear or out of gear) but that's just the bike is....not really a problem.

I'm glad I bought it, will buy another at some point. I would say go for it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default '13 ST

and we love it. No issues.